May 11th - Komainu

Lucidicide

Something looks just slightly off and I think it's the heads. The body pretty much conforms to the rough silhouette of what I'd expect but the head looks pretty much unrecognisable to me as a komainu.

Ah well, they're just not for me.

It's very plain to see that Malifaux is no longer a Steampunk themed universe. 

"Steampunk" and "steam"  have been removed from most if not all models that once had it. 

There is almost no trace of Steampunk left. Which is a shame. Because what has replaced it is an art direction that actually doesn't have any direction at all... 

• Like 3

It's very plain to see that Malifaux is no longer a Steampunk themed universe.

"Steampunk" and "steam" have been removed from most if not all models that once had it.

There is almost no trace of Steampunk left. Which is a shame. Because what has replaced it is an art direction that actually doesn't have any direction at all...

Very much this.

They look more like Wild West Exodus style high-tech, which is indeed a shame. The standing one looks OK, I think but the leaping one is pretty silly/clumsy. Would've preferred way more antique look to the tech.

Samurai Gatling Guns.

Katanaka Sniper uber rifles.

Komainu.

All technology which is of a theme far too advanced for the "supposed" setting of Malifaux.

There really is no cohesion anymore between the artwork/models and the actual story of Malifaux. It's like the artists were literally told, "do whatever you want, we don't care".

Is malifaux a high-tech place, or a victorian/steampunk place? Becauase since M2E, it's a mongrel version of both.

• Like 1

Samurai Gatling Guns.

Katanaka Sniper uber rifles.

Komainu.

All technology which is of a theme far too advanced for the "supposed" setting of Malifaux.

There really is no cohesion anymore between the artwork/models and the actual story of Malifaux. It's like the artists were literally told, "do whatever you want, we don't care".

Is malifaux a high-tech place, or a victorian/steampunk place? Becauase since M2E, it's a mongrel version of both.

Looks like Stark Industries made it to Malifaux, at a certain point, doesn't it?

I like the dogs, they seem fine for what they are. Would I prefer them a little more stone statue-y and less metal robo? Sure. Is the leaping pose a little silly? Yep. But overall they fit the description and I can see them being a "newer" version of the classic temple dogs being created given the tech available.

I don't really understand all the comments that Malifaux is no longer steampunk. Specific to the Komainu, it's a metal dog. Maybe there's a steam engine in it's chest or maybe it's just a hamster on a wheel in there, who knows. Do you need to see a giant smokestack sticking out of its back like the Rail Golem to equate to steam? Should it be wearing a top hat with goggles on the brim and a pretentious hipster goatee to qualify as steampunk? If I start to see power armor, autocannons or similar I'll worry that the aesthetic has radically changed but I'm comfortable with where things are at.

I don't know, people just seem to want to whine any time there's a preview now. "I love your company, can't wait to support you with my money but here's all the things you're doing wrong and how much you're clearly shifting away from your own design and I hate the new stuff." or "You're clearly making specific reference to a given thing so why did you not take an exact image of that thing and just duplicate it in plastic, why are you trying to change it."

We'll see if this post survives for long, might get a mod warning or removed. Not trying to start anything and I try to avoid snapping off here on the forums but the amount of negativity that seems to flow each time the Wyrd folks are giving us a preview is starting to get ridiculous. Sure maybe you don't like the style or pose of a specific release but how does that seem to every time turn into "Wyrd is ruining the product and abandoning what used to be so perfect". I just don't get it.

• Like 7

Although I agree about the models having a less Steampunk feel than they used to.....for me it's more about just how they look altogether. The proportions, the poses, etc. As far as complaining goes....if I see something I don't like I'm not going to lie and be all 'shiny-happy'....how do they know we don't like things if we don't tell them? Sales will be a potential indicator, but when there are no-proxy rules for tourneys, people are going to buy them even if they don't like the sculpt. I think Komainu are amazing stat-wise....so I'll be buying, but I'd be a happier consumer if I liked the sculpt.

Don't let it get to you Jonasty - if you look at their post history it soon becomes clear that it is always the same basement dwellers who surface to complain as they have nothing better to do.

"Basement dwellers" - wow. Way to show your superiority! So clever!
  • Like 3