Matt varnish?

Ikvar

Greetings everyone!

After I have tried everything with my Vallejo matt varnish, I have now given up. No matter what I do there are always spots that are a bit shiny... and I really hate shiny spots on my miniatures >>

Do anyone know another varnish that is 100% matt, and if it can be used with an airbrush it would be even better :)

Army painter 'anti shine matt varnish' works well for me. It comes in a spray can so not ideally what you are looking for, that being said, it's good.

A second vote for Army painter matte varnish.  I like Dullcote better but Army Painter is a little more cost effective.

For a really matte finish, try varnishing the mini first using whatever and then putting a thin layer of Vallejo Glaze Medium on top. Just make sure to use a thin layer (way thinner than what you'd varnish with) and the result is extremely matte. Naturally won't protect the mini any, though, so be sure to put varnish underneath.

Glaze Medium? Really?

When I use to much Glaze Medium in the paint, it normally starts to shine?

Yeah, I was really surprised by the effect as well. I discovered it when I accidentally mixed up the pots ( :mellow: ) but have been using it since when I need something to be really matte.

But don't just take my word for it - try it out. And tell us if it worked or if I have a freak bottle.

• Like 1

To my VERY big surprise, it was actually a major success with using the glaze to matt my figure... but not just was it a success to make it more matt, it also had another unexpected and very awesome side effect. I have painted multiple layers of Vallejo matt varnish on my Lilith figure to get it matt, and sadly I found out that this had desaturated the colours quite a bit, and for someone like me who heavily relies on the bright colours to make my comic book style of painting, this made me very sad. However for some very odd reason, using the glaze actually made the colours more saturated again, and after two layers the colours are more or less back to how it was in the beginning.

I will try to paint on Vallejo glossy varnish on a figure I am making tonight(glossy gives better protection then matt), and tomorrow when it is dry, I will try to simply put on the glaze medium instead of several layers of matt varnish that will just ruin my colours. If this actually works, I am not kidding when I say that this will revolutionize the way we use varnish, as I know a couple of Golden Demon painters that are having the same problems as I am, and this little trick will make our lives A LOT easier ^^

• Like 5

Very happy to hear that! I've been telling about this quite a bit (since I found it both surprising and useful) but I feel that no one good enough has bothered trying it writing it off as some random hack having delusions so hopefully it will get wider recognition now if the spokesperson ends up being someone of your caliber and talent. :)

I vote for Vallejo matte varnish. Just the slightest shine so its not totally dead - this stuff is perfect. I've never used matte medium because I just put 1-2 coats of matte over 1-2 coats of gloss varnish.

This is important: I find that if I cut gloss varnish it is fine and doesn't matter - BUT if I cut satin (for metals) or matte (especially!) I will still leave a somewhat shiny effect. Do not cut matte varnish when applying otherwise, applying with an airbrush works well too, Cutting with brush doesn't work for me - anyone else find this?

Also, yeah - that glaze medium trick is great too - same deal with gloss varnish to "delete" the frosted look of too much matte varnish. Then you just coninue on as normal. Basically, you can get the re-saturated look wih gloss varnish+protection then just try again.

That is really nice of you to say Math, though I highly doubt anyone would listen more to me then you :)

@Raging the glaze medium offers zero protection.

@Spectre Matt varnish simply does not work for me, it ruins the colours after a few layers, and there is still some shine to it afterwards. 

- And what do you mean by cutting?

• Like 1

I think he means "thinning down".

Thanks for the tip with the glaze medium. Yes, strangely I had problems when using satin and matt varnishes from Vallejo  last time. Usually I used to brush on 3 layers of gloss varnish and then a layer of satin or matt. Last time I airbrushed it and had that desaturated\frozen effect. No matter what pressure and distance I used. However I was thinning down it a bit with an airbrush thinner and I actually thought that it was a problem.

It might also be best to not do more than one layer of matte varnish. I have found more than a single, fairly thin layer tends to get glossy. Best technique I have used thus far is the layer or two of gloss followed by a layer of matte.

That is my experience as well, but when one layer of matt varnish does not make it completely matt, the whole idea kinda goes out of the window :)

If you brush on a layer of matte varnish without cutting (yeah, thinning with water) you will get a good matte finish with only a slight shine.

I like the desaturated look though to be honest - so long as its not frosty - it helps me mute and give consistency to my models - but then I don't paint like you so you may still not like the result.

I found original recipe Dullcoat to be far and away the best, sadly it has been replaced by the current version of Dullcote. Still pretty good though.

I have tried both Army Painted and Vallejo brush on matt varnishes a few times, each time well mixed with water but each time ending up with a frosted finish. Sure, I could fix them with a quick layer of brush on glass but then I had to matt them again. I may try that glaze medium trick next time, my only concern would be if normal handling would immediately rub it off and leave shiny spots on the model

Ikvar: is there an update on using it? (The second time round) - I have been having a useless time attempting to use spray, and if I can get some of that to work as you say, then indeed it's off to the races!

(Not that I don't trust Math, mind you...)

Also, Math: any glaze first and then the medium: so the medium itself doesn't necessarily protect the paint, just matte-coat it?

Sorry for the wait, but I have been a bit busy :)

It seems to work quite well, though I am still experimenting a bit. After two layers of glaze on a model that was fully varnished with gloss varnish, it got completely matt. I dont know if the glaze will be easy to rub off though, so I am thinking of maybe trying to put the glaze medium together with a matt varnish?