Protect territory confusion.

Jeebus

Question

The wording on protect territory has gotten people I play with confused. I just want to clarify how exactly it works. If I have two scheme markers with friendly models within 2" and they are both within 6" of the deployment zone they score, right?

How my group interprets it is they have to be outside of 6" from the deployment zone (which sounds like it goes against what protect territory means and what it was in previous editions. (With this thinking they can, and do, score full points on break thru and protect territory with only two scheme markers. That seems ridiculous.)

I think the confusion comes from the wording. "... At least 6" from the deployment zone." Is that the minimum distance it can be from the DZ, or the maximum?

Please cite your sources.

15 answers to this question

At least 6" from your deployment zone means just that, the markers need to be at least 6" away from your deployment zone. This stops models simply holing up in you dz and dropping markers.

There is no reason a model can't cover 2 markers but scheme markers can only be used for 1 scheme, so you couldn't use 2 markers for protect territory AND breakthrough. At the end of the game you need to declare which marker you are using for each scheme.

• Like 1

at least
Also, at the least. According to the lowest possible assessment, no less than. For example, At least a dozen more chairs are needed, or The job will take four hours at the least. [ c. 1050 ]

Anyway, anyhow, as in At least you got there on time, or The children enjoyed the dessert at least. [ c. 1050 ]
For synonyms, see in any case

Your playgroup is right except you can't use same scheme markers for two schemes. P. 74, big book.

I guess it doesn't make sense narratively. Why am I running to my opponents side of the table to protect my territory? I guess I'm the only one that thinks this feels wrong though... Oh well.

First time I read the scheme I also thought it the same way as you. But don't think of your deployment zone as your territory, instead think of the scheme marker as your territory which you claim and then need to be near by to protect.

Also rules wise protect territory would be a gimme scheme in 90% of all games if you could just sit one model within 12" of your board edge between two scheme markers.

At least 6" from your deployment zone means just that, the markers need to be at least 6" away from your deployment zone. This stops models simply holing up in you dz and dropping markers.

There is no reason a model can't cover 2 markers but scheme markers can only be used for 1 scheme, so you couldn't use 2 markers for protect territory AND breakthrough. At the end of the game you need to declare which marker you are using for each scheme.

I played a game last week an my opponent swore you could do this (use one marker for protect and breakthrough) now I'm going to have to look it up when I get home

When you score for a scheme you remove all the relevent markers, so they aren't there to score for the next scheme. (This may just be the markers you used to score (see breakthrough), or all markers in a  certain area (see spring the trap), read the scheme to check for certain).

You don't need to decide what the marker is used for until you do use it, but they are 1 use only.