Five Models every Outcast Player should own

Drool_bucket

Still pretty sure Convict Gunslinger is one of the best models any player can own.

I've never had much luck with them - their terrible Wk and Df tend to let them down. A Freikorps Trapper will out-shoot them and provides other useful advantages.

I'm not saying they're bad (there are almost no bad models in this edition, especially in the Outcasts) but there are many other models I would usually prefer to spend the stones on.

Glad to hear that others like them, anyway - my Miss Demeanour so rarely gets an outing these days.

I was wanting to pick up the hired swords crew. Is there any specific outcast models that work good with them? Or is it a crew box that will do well with any other mercenary... i do have a Johanna that i got recently in a gremlin crew box. Figured she would go good with them

Convict Gunslingers and Hans.

Or Vanessa and Lazarus.

I was wanting to pick up the hired swords crew. Is there any specific outcast models that work good with them?

It's a versatile crew that you can build quite differently depending on how you want to play. Vanessa and Lazarus make a great pair. Bishop is fantastic at everything. A Freikorps Librarian will never be unwelcome. The Malifaux Child is a great replacement for the Student. Hans is really useful.

I should really get around to writing that Viks tactica one of these days.

It's a versatile crew that you can build quite differently depending on how you want to play. Vanessa and Lazarus make a great pair. Bishop is fantastic at everything. A Freikorps Librarian will never be unwelcome. The Malifaux Child is a great replacement for the Student. Hans is really useful.

Would love to see your Viks tactica write up . Keep us posted

Generally speaking, I find Viks work great with anything that benefits from Howling Wolf Tattoo (aka, Flurry/Rapid Fire).  Funny enough, this seems to be true regardless of whether you actually end up taking the upgrade. :)

Generally speaking, I find Viks work great with anything that benefits from Howling Wolf Tattoo (aka, Flurry/Rapid Fire). Funny enough, this seems to be true regardless of whether you actually end up taking the upgrade. :)

Yep, pretty much! I almost never take the upgrade but you still can't go far wrong with Ronin, Gunslingers, Johan, Bishop etc. That said, they work just fine with other models too. ;)

Johanna it is then :)

Johanna is incredible value for literally any crew in the game, but definitely works very well with the Viks.

Yep, pretty much! I almost never take the upgrade but you still can't go far wrong with Ronin, Gunslingers, Johan, Bishop etc. That said, they work just fine with other models too. ;)

To be honest i just thought it would be cool to add another relic hammer to the crew :)

Johanna is incredible value for literally any crew in the game, but definitely works very well with the Viks.

To be honest i just thought it would be cool to add another relic hammer to the crew :)

Oh, Johanna is so much more than just a (ludicrously cheap) relic hammer! There are a lot of situations where condition removal is game-winning (or more often, lack of condition removal is game-losing), and she's Hard to Kill with a self-heal, which can be huge. She's always of value.

I'd have to agree with Vanilla_Dice & SoulGambit that Sue is a model a lot of people overlook that has very broad utility.  While the damage spread is decent, the negative to Ca can be huge (Wong, Rasputina & Sonnia don't like further hindrance to their blast/pulse spam), and if your meta sees a lot of Lynch use, watching the reaction to Huggy getting one-shotted can be very satisfying.

Ronin are also great Outcast models, as their Hard to Kill makes the Seppuku action very useful, and Disguised is often very frustrating to opponents.  The Friekorps Librarian is another great value model with its healing and Furious Casting.  Johan/Johanna is good because of Rebel Yell's condition removal (and not just for Outcasts) and the model's decent damage track.  The final slot would probably have to go to Hodgepodge Effigy, which has extreme utility with The Mist and Loyalty to the Coin, which definitely synergizes well with some of the killy masters the Outcasts have.  It's hard to leave Hannah off, but I tend to see these last 4 models in the most lists.

As a (mainly) resser Tara player and having played a bit of Jack Daw here are my 5

1. Void wretches - apart from the quite high walk and incorporeal the hectic glow is super useful and I love the DF mechanism as you tend to find people target them first (and often leave themselves open) or wait too long and simply can't kill them.

2. Johan - I take him a lot as a merc so to get him one stone cheaper is a no brainier, a tough utility piece.

3. Lazarus - make him fast, focus then let fly with the shooting and see what happens. Is also tough and can hold ground well

4. Bishop - with Tara I find him to be the ultimate surgical strike model. The DF trigger, extra AP and his four ML triggers make him the best all round badass in his role

Again no 5 is tough for me as there are many models I havnt used yet, Alyce, Ashes, Desi Engine, Strongam so I am going to have to give it to

5. Trapper - what he does for 6 stones is awesome and since I've been using him I've seen people put off by the threat of him alone.

It's also interesting to see that all my 5 I often take out of faction and pay the extra stone, goes to show how strong the outcast faction is I think.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I did a bit of analysis on these, and the aggregate top five is as follows (the number in brackets is the amount of votes that the model received):

1. Freikorps Librarian (9)

1. Johan (9)

3. Ashes and Dust (6)

4. Hodgepodge Effigy (5)

4. Killjoy (5)

In total, 18 people cast their votes for a top five. If someone gave more than one vote for a given model, I discounted the extra votes. I also skipped votes for Mercs or other non-faction minis.

There's some further notes in the Resser thread which should be taken into account (the availability of the models and their roles):

http://wyrd-games.ne...-five/?p=768658

Outcast players were by far the most divided in their votes out of all the factions. Only the Librarian and Johan were clearly at the top with the playerbase very divided when it came to other models.

• Like 3

Great job Math, on all the factions! Really fun to have some hard data on all the faction favourites. 

I guess that the Outcast results were so scattered because of how specialized and thematic most crews tend to be. Maybe the question should be asked a bit differently when it comes to the Outcast, in order to get a result which take the whole faction into consideration. "Best generalist models for the Outcasts", or something in that spirit.

Also, its really weird that the Trapper didn't make the top 5!

Clearly I'm asking as a rank novice, but why no mention of Von Schill? If I were to build a crew starting with the Von Schill box, Hans and perhaps a Desperate Merc or two, would that not be a viable combo?  I ask mainly because those models are the next crew I want to buy and build. I've seen the lack of love for the DM's in a previous thread of mine, but what's the reason Von Schill made nobody's list?

- Nikko

Clearly I'm asking as a rank novice, but why no mention of Von Schill? If I were to build a crew starting with the Von Schill box, Hans and perhaps a Desperate Merc or two, would that not be a viable combo?  I ask mainly because those models are the next crew I want to buy and build. I've seen the lack of love for the DM's in a previous thread of mine, but what's the reason Von Schill made nobody's list?

- Nikko

These threads (there's one for each faction) are just for discussion of things that work well within the faction so focus on Hench/Enforcer/Minions/Peons available to all.  As a Master VS can only be taken when you choose him to lead your crew whereas the Freikorps Librarian for example is available for all.

These threads (there's one for each faction) are just for discussion of things that work well within the faction so focus on Hench/Enforcer/Minions/Peons available to all.  As a Master VS can only be taken when you choose him to lead your crew whereas the Freikorps Librarian for example is available for all.

Ah, ok -- I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.  :)

So Hans seems a big yes, but the DM's are a no because they bring so little "bang for the buck." i.e cost vs crew value (if I correctly recall the previous discussion). Any use for them at all beyond scheme droppers, or just plain ol' cannon fodder? 

- N

Ah, ok -- I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.  :)

So Hans seems a big yes, but the DM's are a no because they bring so little "bang for the buck." i.e cost vs crew value (if I correctly recall the previous discussion). Any use for them at all beyond scheme droppers, or just plain ol' cannon fodder? 

- N

I think the lack of love for Desperate Mercs is because Void Wretches are better all round models for the ss cost with some good defensive abilities being incorporeal and walk 5 also handing out slow can be really nice