Let's talk old biddies - Zoraida and friends...

Shadowfane

So, I don't see much talk about Zoraida on here lately, and what with her crew box (eventually) winging it's way over to me from Gencon, I thought I'd pick people's brains about our crotchety old "Get off my lawn!" master...

What with her vast hiring pool, I'm at somewhat of a loss as to where to start really, so I thought I'd start us off by asking the following:

What, in your opinion, would be the core of a Zoraida crew that you would take? I'm not asking about 50ss lists, just the models that, in your opinion, are either auto-include with her or at the very least, strongly considered?

I often use a Nurse and a convict gunslinger as my core.

The Nurse has some really nasty debuffs for the Sewn Fate targets. The Convict is just an allround solid piece and a great target for Obey.

Models that I often take aswell:

Mature nephilim (mobility and damage, it's fantastic).

Papa Loco (The dmg potential is just awesome).

Johan (Good beatstick with some much needed condition removal)

Those are some of my favorite picks :)

I have been liking Iggy with her.  He is cheap and some some pretty nice uses as a whole and a couple Zoraida can exploit.  First he can add more burning to the Voodoo Doll when it is hemmed to someone, always a plus when you just need more damage on the target with out actually wounding the Voodoo Doll.  He also added a level of control to Zoraida with Incite.  With no natural companion or the like Zoraida does not get the nasty combo of Obey then her target's activation.  With Iggy you can nail some random low WP model on the enemy's side so that you can throw off their activation order when you need to prevent them from interrupting Zoraida's combo.

As mentioned the Nurse is a nice one as it also gives Zoraida what I have labeled before as Remote Healing.  She can obey the Nurse with her last AP to use Take your Meds on Zoraida and fully heal her and the Paralyze merely ends her activation.  Useful when someone manages to hit her or drop a template on her.  The Nurse also can do some interesting stuff with the twins if I take them with Zoraida as well.

I am also a fan of Illuminated in certain strategies.  They are good 7ss minions but being able to get them an extra pseudo AP with Obey can help them alot.  As alot of my opponents try to wait out their activation so they can hit them after they have healed being able to move and attack with Obey has been good.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Zoraida can take a Silent One for 7ss.  This adds some healing from her (0) action as well as 10 inch range 2/3 :blast /4 :blast  damage on Ca6 Freeze with a :tome trigger to attack again(with no triggers) and a :crow trigger to make a 50mm Ht5 blocking impassable ice pillar.  A :ram will also let her heal Frozen Heart models within :pulse 2 of the target but that will probably just be the Silent One in the crew.  Frozen Statue is a decent defensive trigger as well, but she is still very squishy for her SS cost.  If you protect her however she can be very powerful.  I have used one alongside a Nurse to great effect. 

Bring a Performer and have your Voodoo Doll Hem something important on the enemy crew. The Performer can then use Seduction on the Voodoo Doll, which will give the enemy model double negatives on Wp and Df.

Or - even better - have the Performer use Siren Call on the Voodoo Doll, cheat in a Crow, and auto-Paralyse the Voodoo Doll. Also Paralysing the enemy model. You can do this twice a Turn to different enemy models if Z summons in another Voodoo Doll and Obeys the Performer to Siren Call it :)

It gets better. Use Hex Bag to put Poison 4 on the Voodoo Doll. The enemy model gets Poison 4. The Performer uses Siren Call on the Voodoo Doll and goes for the A Sip of Wine trigger. The Doll and the enemy model take 4 damage. Poison is then removed "from the target", meaning the Voodoo Doll. Which means that the enemy model still has Poison 4 on it. Siren Call the enemy model and use the same trigger for another 4 damage. If you have already put the enemy model on double negatives for Wp duels, there is nothing it can do about all of this :)

• Like 2

Is there a tactic thread or other good resources for running the basic zoraida crew?

I have assembled and painted the metal box set with 2x waldegeist 3 x silurid juju and a doll. With a couple of upgrades this is 50 ss.

I have played loads of games as gremlins, but I'm new to this crew and would appreciate any guidance on strategy or tactics with the crew.

Cheers

Is there a tactic thread or other good resources for running the basic zoraida crew?

I have assembled and painted the metal box set with 2x waldegeist 3 x silurid juju and a doll. With a couple of upgrades this is 50 ss.

I have played loads of games as gremlins, but I'm new to this crew and would appreciate any guidance on strategy or tactics with the crew.

Cheers

I just played this very list, taking hexbag, eternal fiend with fears given form, and eyes in the swamp upgrades.  I called it my Juju recycling center list.  Game was against Perdita in Turf War, I took and revealed Deliver Message and Breakthrough.  I engaged turn one, a slurid died after delivering said message, which brought forth Juju.  I kept Slurids and Juju in Dita's face the entire game while Waldgeists took care of the remaining crew and scored VP for Turf War.  I never made it to Breakthrough....but did not need it in the end.  End of game: Dita was the only member of her crew left.  I had Zorida, doll, two Waldgeists, and Juju VP: 7 to 3.

I just played this very list, taking hexbag, eternal fiend with fears given form, and eyes in the swamp upgrades.  I called it my Juju recycling center list.  Game was against Perdita in Turf War, I took and revealed Deliver Message and Breakthrough.  I engaged turn one, a slurid died after delivering said message, which brought forth Juju.  I kept Slurids and Juju in Dita's face the entire game while Waldgeists took care of the remaining crew and scored VP for Turf War.  I never made it to Breakthrough....but did not need it in the end.  End of game: Dita was the only member of her crew left.  I had Zorida, doll, two Waldgeists, and Juju VP: 7 to 3.

Did the Silurid that delivered the message do it first turn after being deployed with Eyes in the Woods?  Because they can not interact first turn.  Bad Juju could if the silurid was killed but the Silurid himself would have had to wait till turn 2.

That being said it is very hard to put down Silurids that are trying to deliver the message unless you have ranged CA actions.

Did the Silurid that delivered the message do it first turn after being deployed with Eyes in the Woods?  Because they can not interact first turn.  Bad Juju could if the silurid was killed but the Silurid himself would have had to wait till turn 2.

That being said it is very hard to put down Silurids that are trying to deliver the message unless you have ranged CA actions.

Or unless you have Nino. Situations like this prove that Spotter can be invaluable.

Not first turn, I started one Silurid engaged with Nino, one Slilurid close to the center behind rocks, and one Silurid on flank behind a building.  First turn, the center Silurid moved and pushed into B2B with Dita.  I won initiative for turn 2 and began the turn by delivering the message.  Result was: sacrifice one Silurid for 3VP and bring out Juju?  Yes please.

I'm exicted to try her out this weekend.  Here's the build I'm running:

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Zoraida -- 5 Pool
 +Crystal Ball [2]
 +Hexed Among You [1]

Alp [3]
Bad Juju [8]
 +Eternal Fiend [2]
 +Fears Given Form [1]
Iggy [5]
Vasilisa [9]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]
Waldgeist [6]

Trees are basically blocking lineman, deploy up front.  Anyone who gets by my blockers gets a Bad Juju in the face.  If they continue to persist past the Bad Juju, then I burn them to death with Iggy.  Summon a doll, Hem on an enemy.  Stack burning 4 on the doll with Iggy.  Vasilisa twists the doll to hem another target, then obey Iggy to stack burning 4 again.  Zoraida uses obey to stack even more burning.  End of the turn, the first model takes burning 4, the second model takes burning 4 and an additional 8 damage when the voodoo takes burning damage.  Brutal.

• Like 1

Not first turn, I started one Silurid engaged with Nino, one Slilurid close to the center behind rocks, and one Silurid on flank behind a building.  First turn, the center Silurid moved and pushed into B2B with Dita.  I won initiative for turn 2 and began the turn by delivering the message.  Result was: sacrifice one Silurid for 3VP and bring out Juju?  Yes please.

That makes more sense.  Also highlights one of the reasons I like a non-traditional Perdita list where I have 9 activations, much harder to be out activate and end up in that sort of case.

End of the turn, the first model takes burning 4, the second model takes burning 4 and an additional 8 damage when the voodoo takes burning damage.  Brutal.

Would only take an additional 6 *which is still pretty nasty*.  Voodoo Doll has a clause in Hem saying "(damage suffered in this way may not exceed the Voodoo Doll's current remaining Wounds)." So he cannot transfer more than he has at that moment.  Still 4 Burning and 6 wounds put down most models that don't have damage reduction or prevention.

Another Trick with the Nurse. Let us say that the Voodoo doll has something really though fate bound.

You hammer the doll for 4 damage. You can then use the nurse to paralyze the doll, and heal it to full. The tough model will gain the paralyze but not get the heal because the healing isn't a condition or damage.(as I recall)

• 2 weeks later...

I´m going to try Sorrows with her. Misery loves company can be used by obey to speed up that Sorrow, paralyzed can be used on the Vodoo Doll and Zoraida and Bad Juju really cause some WP duels. I think that might be a good combo.

Ama No Zako can be a good model too with its swallow you whole against paralyzed models. In addition, his ability to create harzadous terrain works well in conjunction with the fears given forms upgrade.