Gencon 2014 - Plotting time!

So this year I'll be attending Gencon in Indianapolis - not a cheap exercise when you're flying in from Australia! Needless to say I want to make the most of it while I'm there but having never attended, I'm not exactly sure what I should do while I'm there. 

The events have been listed on the Gencon Website and registration for said events begins in just a few days (18th!), so I figure now is a good time to at least get some advice from those who have been before! 

Needless to say I'm planning to attend at least a few of the Malifaux/Wyrd events and I'm pretty sure I've slated to do a few demo sessions too. Other than that, any advice?

As someone who used to go a lot in the late 90s and early 2000's the best advice I personally feel is to only sign up for the events you NEED to go to. Don't overload your days with a tight schedule of events. there is so much to see and do, and when you are participating in an event you don't want to have the experience of waiting for a plane to be in the back of your mind while you're participating.

"OK, god this is great, but I really hope this event doesn't run long. I have an event starting 10 minutes after this event finishes, and it's across the convention space in an area I'm not exactly certain where it is. Oh look at that awesome cosplay! It's an actual moving TARDIS with a Matt Smith look alike inside of it! OMG I think it IS Matt Smith! *Click* *Click* *Click* ...CRAP I'm gonna be late for my event now!  (RUN RUN RUN)

I'm here! I'm Here!"

"Sorry dude, there's limited space and when you didn't show up we gave your spot to this guy that was waiting."

Schedule 1 or 2 events per day max, or at least make certain there are large chunks of free time in the middle, and just see what the con shows you. The most enjoyable cons I've been to were the ones were I only had 1 event per day, but I had a few Generic Tickets and I could join or not join any events that took my fancy, and I didn't have to run around.

Also bring a Water Bottle, the convention center if I remember correctly has lots of refilling stations, and if you don't consistently hydrate you will get wiped out. 

Also beware of the Con Crud. With that many people from that many corners of the globe germs get passed around very frequently. Wash and sanitize your hands frequently, and you might want to start and maintain a heavy Vitamin C Regimen just before and during the con. We have a product here in the states, it might be in other countries as well, that the actors in my theaters swear by to help keep them performing during instances of flu season, or whenever an illness is going around the workplace called Emergen-C, which is a fruit flavored powder you add to cold or hot water that has approximately 1000mg of vitamin C per packet. I've gotten the Con Crud the last few times I went to a con, but last time I had some Emergen-C with me and no Con Crud. I won't chalk it up to it entirely, but really try to be vigilant with your health while there. Nothing worse than traveling a long way, and spending a lot of money only to get sick during or immediately after the con.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than traveling a long way, and spending a lot of money only to get sick during or immediately after the con.

Especially given that, from the perspective of someone coming from Australia, the US health system is strange and terrifying.

I'll be coming along with Rathnard for GenCon, and would love to meet up with people to chat or play games! :)

(I'll be heading to the NOVA Open as well, if anyone wants to meet up there.)

• Like 2

That's extremely useful Fetid, Thanks! 

Yep, Kadeton and i are heading over together, although being the childless D.I.N.K. that he is he's going to be in the US for a month or two, rather than the 2 weeks I can manage away from the family. ;) I'm gonna be very jealous of him being able to attend NOVA Open. 

• Like 1

I am curious too about what to sign up for Wyrd-wise.

I guess I am hoping to find out events sooner rather than later so I can know if I will be able to play full painted or just playing pick-up games (is there even a spot to do this?)

What went on last year?

Pick up games are available in the hall where the tournaments are at. I believe painted lists were required for organized play, but don't quote me on that. Going back to the pickup game thing, there's a lot of tables that Wyrd has things setup on for demos and the tournaments, when they aren't in use, you can play normal games on them.

I am curious too about what to sign up for Wyrd-wise.

I guess I am hoping to find out events sooner rather than later so I can know if I will be able to play full painted or just playing pick-up games (is there even a spot to do this?)

Hark! A gift from on high! ;)

(gift)

I'm currently figuring out what to apply for. I won't be able to do the Avatars of Malifaux thing on Friday (I'm running Demos then), but I figure I'll do at least one qualifier, and the Friday Story Encounter (I'd do Thursday as well, but I'm running demos then too. :P ). That'll leave two days free to do pickup games and wander the halls. I'm tempted to do both qualifiers (leaving one day free), but then that's only one day, Thursday, for shopping and trying other stuff. 

About the pickup games (or "Malifaux Achievement League" according to the website) - is this something you'd find plenty of people playing during the Con? Or is it more the kind of thing where you'd probably need to arrange a game before hand?

I will be attending this year along with 10 others from my local shop (5 of us play Malifaux) all of us play board games pm me and we could try to meet up and get some games in.

Edit: This will be the first time for 4 of us including myself

About the pickup games (or "Malifaux Achievement League" according to the website) - is this something you'd find plenty of people playing during the Con? Or is it more the kind of thing where you'd probably need to arrange a game before hand?

Last year, it wasn't too difficult to find someone willing to play a game.  Even if I didn't see anyone else looking around right away, asking at the miniatures tables if anyone was looking for a game got me pointed at people pretty quickly. 

I'll be tripping down from Chicago and looking for some pick up games of Malifaux here and there. Feel free to PM me your contact info and maybe we can set up a game or two.

The advice above is really sound, but I'd go the other way with regard to the amount of money you bring to spend. Set yourself a budget and stick to it. It's way to easy to wind up with waaaaay too much stuff to try to get home. I know that I've had trips to Gen Con where I was wondering how the hell I was going to get all my swag back to Chicago, and it's only about a 2 hour drive north! Now try to figure out how your going to repack your bags for the flight back down under.

Of course, you could always do the underwear trick...

Surely you can scrape together enough time to paint a single crew between now and August! I believe in you.

While I appreciate the faith, a full time job, wife and kids with tons of activities and having barely a half hour to breath a day...... likely not ;-)

Doesn't mean I won't try.  I just won't sign up until I think it is feasible :-D

The best advice I can give is that stated above:  Don't overbook, and bring a water bottle.  You'll be much happier.  There's days of stuff to see and do, and you'll always end up leaving wishing you'd had another week.

As far as Malifaux, I'll be around the vast majority of the con looking to play pickup games or in Wyrd events, and when I've done this in previous years there've always been people around to play, virtually any time of the day.  I know last year there was a night or two when people were playing more or less all night for the achievement league.

While I appreciate the faith, a full time job, wife and kids with tons of activities and having barely a half hour to breath a day...... likely not ;-)

Doesn't mean I won't try.  I just won't sign up until I think it is feasible :-D

Another thing to consider is the clear plastic versions of various crews (if they're still available, haven't checked) - for all tournament purposes, they count as fully painted out of the box according to Wyrd's official rules. If you're really strapped for time they might help!

Another thing to consider is the clear plastic versions of various crews (if they're still available, haven't checked) - for all tournament purposes, they count as fully painted out of the box according to Wyrd's official rules. If you're really strapped for time they might help!

I don't want to buy the same thing twice and shipping overseas is horrible ;-)

That said, I started a minimum build list of what I would want painted for a tournament and with some other friends doing something similar for their game systems, we are setting goals.  Whether I can attain them is another thing, but hey, I am going to try! :-D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...