book 6 idea Henchmen -> masters

Da Git

So yes, I know book 5 isn't even out yet, but this is probably the time the great powers at Wyrd are starting to think about book 6 (or in the near future anyways).  However I have been thinking about this & @-Loki- also put it into words nicely.  Wow about making some upgrades that would make Henchmen valid as masters?

6 hours ago, -Loki- said:

You know, this is interesting. Now that we know Wyrd are doing master upgrades in Broken Promises. I wonder if in the next book they could take a henchman per faction and elevate them to masters like this. Give them a new model, but not necessarily a new crew box.

These could either be for individual Henchman, or a general Faction Henchman -> leader upgrade, much like what wrath got.

Henchmen I'd love to see get Leader upgrades:

Guild

• Dashel - have him find his feet after taking charge of the guard in Book 3, and step it up to become a solid Guardsmen-master
  • The Judge - If Lady J bites the dust in her duel with Nico, then I see this as the natural progression for him

Ressers

• Really not sure here... Maybe Valadictorian?  Although then we'd need an expansion on the Iron Zombies & I still have hope for Von Stook to make an appearance
  • Morty if Nico bites the dust
  • Actually, the best one would be Anna... She could definitely step it up a notch!

Arcanists

• Probably the coolest ones here would be Snowstorm & the Captain, both of their storylines would be cool to flesh out!

Neverborn

• Nekima, Nekima, Nekima!  This is by far the No1 choice!  Although I could also see arguements for Widow Weaver, Hinamatsu, & I'd really like to be able to play Chompy without Dreamer!

Outcasts

• Super unsure here... Hannah?  Taylor?  Void beast?  Nix would certainly be entertaining!

Gremlins

• Don't know nearly enough about this faction... Probably I'd find Sammy the most interesting to expand upon.  Although Macha could be cool.

Thunders

• Otototototo! or Toshiro or Yamaziko maybe?  Actually, Huggy without Lynch would be cool (would need a significant power boost though)!

Any other ideas?

For me, here is my list:

Guild. Quest for story to fill the hole left by Lucius as the style of leader. But game wise, probably Dashel.

Ressurs. Valedictorian

Satanists. Snowstorm

Newborn.  CANDY!!!

Outcasts. Pokey, so I can have my old 1.5 viks back.

10T. Ototo

Gremlins.  Screw gremlins. Also, don't know many gremlins henchmen. 

Edit:: best auto correct ever.

I could see Dashel following through and becoming a proper summoning master like most other factions have. Not sure what resource he should use, possibly scheme markers. The problem is it kind of leaves a hole for buffing guardsmen. Perhaps the guild could get back the general totem that was upgraded to become Dashel.

15 minutes ago, Kaptain_Konrad said:

To be honest, there are already too many factions that can summon. I worry every faction will slowly become the same, factions need inherent strengths and weaknesses to remain unique. 

They aren't unique anymore, that was a couple of books back. Individual masters are still unique but most factions can do some form of poor mans version of what used to be unique. Summoning (not through kills because I consider that separate) can be done by any faction except guild and even guild can do the odd summon through kills and pathfinders.

Even gremlins and neverborn can do durability lists with armour and stuff.

Ressers and neverborn still don't have a megablaster master but thry get other area effects that emulate it.

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

They aren't unique anymore, that was a couple of books back. Individual masters are still unique but most factions can do some form of poor mans version of what used to be unique. Summoning (not through kills because I consider that separate) can be done by any faction except guild and even guild can do the odd summon through kills and pathfinders.

...or Dashel? ;) 

I do think that Factions still have identities and even though you can bend a Faction to do whatever, they clearly excel and struggle in different areas.

Well, we can argue that all week. I'm sure you're both right but I don't see faction identity as a valid reason to not let me spam summons without leaving guild. ;) Dashel's 0 cost upgrade has obviously already opened summoning as an option in guild and a signature ability for him. If he was elevated to master standing I wouldn't want yet another buffer McCabe & Lucius are both buffers with strong guardsman ties. We also have our fair share of damage dealers in the book 1 masters. The role guild lacks is a summoner and it's right in line with his development through the fix upgrade.

If someone can suggest another way to make Dashel do something really unique  compared to other guild masters and still retain his guardsman focus I'm listening. 

Edit: I guess he could tie into the austribger theme and make your entire list ignore LoS and cover. That would be unique but I'm pretty sure a lot of people would consider it not so enjoyable to face.

Maybe all guardsmen in LoS could loose the gun on their attacks so they no longer randomized or cared about cover.

3 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

If someone can suggest another way to make Dashel do something really unique  compared to other guild masters and still retain his guardsman focus I'm listening.

Maybe he could just arrest the whole opposing crew and function more like Brewmaster? :P 

Or howabout a dual Master between Dashel and Queeg with weird rivalry mechanics between them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Maybe he could just arrest the whole opposing crew and function more like Brewmaster? :P 

Or howabout a dual Master between Dashel and Queeg with weird rivalry mechanics between them?

But id summoning is unguildish isn't denial bubbling unguildish?

Either way I fully support both those options! They could have ability names reminiscent of an old bickering couple a la Fawlty Towers ;)

They actually did do this going from 1E to 2E (and 1E even did this between books with Hamelin) 

Personally wouldn't mind seeing this go the warmahorde route of having different versions of characters as they change in the fluff (especially now that Avatars are effectively out of the game).

For Henchmen becoming masters though would like to see:

Guild: If Lady J loses I see Judge being the most likely to jump up and become a master. If she wins not too sure who would change as no Guild henchmen has really shown any imitative in changing. Probably would be most interested in Dashel becoming more of a general.

Ressers: Anna Lovelace or Heyridden fluff wise makes the most sense imo. Personally would like to see more of the University of Transmortis though so voting Valedictorian

Neverborn: Nekima or Candy (fluffwise and potential both are pretty even and seem itching to become masters)

Gremlins: No henchman again has really shown any initiative on becoming a master. Guess Mancha..........

Arcanists: Joss can pick up the slack from Kaeris

10T: Not familiar enough with them.

Outcasts:  Not familiar enough with them.

Outcasts should throw a curveball with Nix becoming a master ;) He could have all sorts of weird animal interactions and buffs changing each turn. 

Nothin Beast looks like it would make for a mean master even if it only recently got promoted to henchman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaptain_Konrad said:

People say Judge if Lady J dies, but she'll be dead in the story, not removed from the game. Besides, I feel like Lady J is gonna win it easily, young lady with sword vs old man with cane (even though I'm voting old man.)

I just feel like is she dies Fluff wise it would make sense from her to back away from the Death Marshalls and figure things out while the Judge takes charge.

iirc in 1E when she nearly died and had to get construct parts Lady J felt pretty violated and spent some time figuring that out. I imagine a transition from living to dead or undead would be pretty upsetting to someone like her. 

I think my personal list would look something like

Guild: The Judge

Ressurectionists: Datsu Ba or The Valedictorian.

Neverborn: Either Nekima or Spawnmother, possibly even widowweaver.

Arcanists: I really can't say too much, The Captain seems to be a favorite and I can't disagree with any of the arguments, it might be interesting to see something change with Raspy's relationship with December and have Snow Storm become a master to reflect that in some way.

Outcast: I think Taelor is the best bet there.

as for either TT or Gremlin, I really don't know/care enough about either to put much thought into it. Although there is speculation based on the cover art that Lenny will be a master.

Outcasts: Irresponsible Taelor*, leading a crew as a master? Oh no. Either Hannah is promoted permanently after proving herself as acting commander while Von Schill was incapacitated, or Rusty Alyce looks at what's actually involved in a 'baby bimbo' with free will, snaps, and storms out, taking Marlena with her.

*yes, I did

On 26/07/2017 at 11:40 PM, wizuriel said:

Ressers: Anna Lovelace or Heyridden fluff wise makes the most sense imo. 

Master Heyridden would be so awesomely awesome... This must be done! 

On 26/07/2017 at 11:51 PM, Ludvig said:

Outcasts should throw a curveball with Nix becoming a master ;) He could have all sorts of weird animal interactions and buffs changing each turn. 

Nothin Beast looks like it would make for a mean master even if it only recently got promoted to henchman.

This must be done too!