Draw engine

Fictor

Hi dudes!

I'm thinking on options for draw card like in other factions like Nico and corpses, Phylip and Nany, Lust and Jacob...

And the only thing that I can think is Myranda + IE, in the past Colette with the upgrade to draw card with :tome and a lot of chains of promts worked for me, but with the new errata it's dead.

You know something like this? I mean a good draw engine, not situational draw habilithy like :tome on Rasputina trigger

2 hours ago, Fictor said:

Hi dudes!

I'm thinking on options for draw card like in other factions like Nico and corpses, Phylip and Nany, Lust and Jacob...

And the only thing that I can think is Myranda + IE, in the past Colette with the upgrade to draw card with :tome and a lot of chains of promts worked for me, but with the new errata it's dead.

You know something like this? I mean a good draw engine, not situational draw habilithy like :tome on Rasputina trigger

How is the Colette draw engine dead? She can still do 4 prompts with Cassandra prompting her. She just needs to have multiple models near to her rather than just 1. Have I missed a subtle thing from the engine? 

• Like 1

Anna and Hanna are indeed good for this. 

Another merc I used the other day is Big Jake. He has a zero action called "Consult the ancestors" that allows you to look at the top top cards and place them in the discard pile and back on top of your deck, in any order. This is not card draw, but similar. You can do something similar with Malifaux raptors too.

Sue also helps drawing cards. 

1 hour ago, spooky_squirrel said:

I've used Malifaux Raptors and Shastar Vidiya Guards for some card draw. Rake the Eyes to peek, and a cheated defense duel to draw whatever I stacked to the top (once per turn). I typically only do this when a slightly banged up SVG isn't a liability (M&SU-centered theme with Johan, Ironsides).

Also works with Lust and the SVG.  Have Lust use Heartbreaker on the SVG and cheat in some trash card on the defense.  Look at the top 3 cards, discard one draw one and know what your next flip is!  Very expensive though.

Most of our masters have a card draw ability, action or trigger somewhere on their card or on a personal upgrade. But there's not enough to build an worthwhile card engine with. Most Arcanist card draw tends to be passive anyway; upgrades, a few triggers showing up here and there, perhaps a (0) to draw some cards if conditions are right. 

The sole exception is the previously mentioned Myranda with Imbued Energies. It's affordable in many lists, and it's flexible because you gain some henchman AP to use however you like, plus 4 cards and any Arcanist beast when you most need it. This is still incredibly strong.  

Kaeris' 3 card (0) is definitely good, but has two drawbacks. One, setting it up sometimes costs you to cheat low cards to fail your own simple duels. Two, it means you're not playing Marcus or Sandeep, so you're probably doing something wrong XD.

3 hours ago, hydranixx said:

Kaeris' 3 card (0) is definitely good, but has two drawbacks. One, setting it up sometimes costs you to cheat low cards to fail your own simple duels. Two, it means you're not playing Marcus or Sandeep, so you're probably doing something wrong XD.

I use Union Miners for burning, opposed relentable duels without TNs, no need to cheat. The Emissary's other (0) actions are quite good and Flaming Conflux is a pretty terrible upgrade in general so if I were to bring Emissary with Kaeris I'd use Arcane Conflux or one of Arcanists' excellent generic upgrades anyway.

And really man, there are other reasons to play a master than internet "wisdom" telling you it's the most powerful choice...

• Like 5

12 hours ago, hydranixx said:

But. Kaeris one of my main masters.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bengt said:

And really man, there are other reasons to play a master than internet "wisdom" telling you it's the most powerful choice...

As an especially vocal internet entity, I agree with the above statement. Groupthink isn't always accurate, and definitely does not always apply to local meta and regional tournament scenes. Especially in this game system. Other game systems that have fixed list requirements and guaranteed win conditions can end up in a place where groupthink produces optimized lists, but Wyrd has Malifaux doing something different: you design your list on the fly after you've seen the scenario (strat/schemes), table, and you know your opponent's faction (and if you've played them before, their playstyle and default choices). Your crew is hired with a lot fewer unknowns.

So to this:

3 hours ago, Starrius said:

But. Kaeris one of my main masters.....

I say keep on rocking the winged spec ops agent and resident Arcanist arsonist. She's done very well in various competitive environments and some terrain set ups scream "play Kaeris!!!" Player ability (natural talent and practice) counts for so much more than distilled wisdom.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bengt said:

I don't even own Sandeep or Marcus. I was just taking the piss out of that exact the internet wisdom you refer to. It's hard to express tone on forums I guess. I'm on your side too :L

Kaeris is my go-to when I'm Arcanists; I'm not having a go at her. 

• Like 1