Hanging Tree question....

Elusive

I'm looking to make the hanging tree in downtown Malifaux ouside of the Governor General's HQ.

I seem to remeber a story of it being almost as big as the mansion as well as being barren of leaves and having several hanging bodies that would reappear any time they had been cut down and disposed of.

My issue is that I'm having problems finding that story again. Would anyone happen to know where that story is or have more info on that tree, even a drawing if there ever was one.

Thanks for the answer, I found one story in that so far about the impressive size of the mansion and the tree looming over all.

"the massive Handing Tree whose legend had traveled beyond Malifaux and back on Earthside. It might have been a native knotwood tree through it had grown well beyond the typical height, easily surpassing oaks. The bark was smooth and grayish-black with sharp ridges twisting up its trunk to its leafless branches. Silhouettes of rope and the faint outline of bodies swayed in the darkness."

So that got me some info, but how big is the Governor's Mansion supposed to be, 2-3 stories? 

So I'm thinking something like these for general shapes and thinking of getting Jack Daw and some of the hanged to put up in the tree once it's done.

oak_tree.jpg

11570395-large.jpg

Thanks for the links Math Mathonwy, I've added them to my reference file.

Omenbringer, I've seen the models that Wyrd has done but they're all much to small, specially with the description saying "grown well beyond the typical height, easily surpassing oaks" but I am looking to make it rather crooked/twisted similar to the sleepy hollow tree.

Ha! I had the same question a while back in the terrain showcase forums. I found what info I needed in the 1.5 rulebook... one of those little fluffy Phillip pages... it's called "The Hanging Tree" so it should be easy to find. It's in the middle of a walled off area and there are always two guards posted at it. Also it said something about weird runes twisting around the trunk so there is some painting ideas for you too. I was going to do a Hanging Tree board but I've down graded to a 18x18 Hanging Tree "terrain piece" so I'm kind of in the same boat as you - trying to put this together as well for Jacky Jack to have a place to play. :)

The way I'm reading into The Hanging Tree its going to be huge. Since it's supposed to loom over the Governor's Mansion, which I was guess to be 3 stories plus an attic so about 12"-16", I'm expecting the tree I'm making to be about 18"-22" tall with several inch thick trunk.

I've got a Jack Daw and a set of hanged on the way to decorate it but I'll need to build a suitable hill for it to sit upon.

Pretty much how Games Workshop did some Fantasy Chaos tree thing waay back in the day (wire skeleton + apoxie sculpt to make the rest of the body).

I do recall them having to dremel the apoxie sculpt to create wood grooves so maybe that's an option for you or not, but the stuff is fairly cheap all things considered.

• Like 1

I do recall them having to dremel the apoxie sculpt to create wood grooves so maybe that's an option for you or not, but the stuff is fairly cheap all things considered.

I end up using silicone caulking for the bark and the brush strokes add in texture. I generally also use normal sculpting tools to add in knot holes.

• 4 weeks later...

Been slow going with the bark, I've been able to do a branch then have to wait a day or two for it to dry.

GEDC1664_zpsuxltgqwn.jpg

Its funny... I was looking at the rules for the actual Hanging Tree terrain piece in game. No way the big one is fitting on a 50mm base.

Maybe just measure distance from the slab against the tree?

The trunk is just about 50mm around, can just measure from the trunk for the special rules.