Worries of a new player: My local meta

Whut

So I'm completely new to Malifaux, but I really really like it a lot. By talking to other more experienced players in my local shop/club, I've learned that locally, most people play Arcanists (with most playing Rasputina and Ramos) and after that, Neverborn and Guild, followed by just a few players playing 10T, Gremlins, and Ressers. (Not sure about Outcasts).

Basically just I have knowledge of other wargames (Warmahordes, LotR, 40k, Fantasy) but not much about Malifaux at the moment other than a 40ss demo game and some stat cards as well as the rulebook.

My only fear is that I see a lot of our troops having lower Wp than Df, and our faction has nearly no ranged options apart from Seamus and a few other select models (or tricks, such as the Belles). With my very limited knowledge, I fear that many games I will be at a slight disadvantage from the get-go due to either the low Wp, the slow Wk, or no shooting, or all three. I also fear that since we are a melee-based faction, what could we ever do against a melee monster such as Lady J? I assume most would try to shoot her off the board before she can tear a hole in your crew, but we can't do that. Also our resilience, while somewhat helpful, I fear will still not be able to hold up a crazy beast like that.

Would someone assure me otherwise? I know I'm most likely wrong, but I just want to be explained what our faction can do to counter the tricks that other factions bring to the table.

Much appreciated!

Another relatively new player here.

I maybe don't have the detailed answers to spefics you're looking for (they'll come from other though, i'm sure) but i can tell you that killing enemy models is not the most important thing in malifaux.
If you play the Strat and Schemes movement tricks and bordcontrol beyond "i kill everything that tries to come that way" are more important - at least that's what i find to be true.
I usually play against Ten Thunders and Guild and the hurt those guys put out is something to behold ... but i still have to lose my first game ;-) 

All factions are good. Its all about how you build your crew. Hire and build your crew based around your strategies and schemes and what faction your opponent announced etc... as well as making sure you take the right upgrades.  Im not sure if i missed it in your post but what faction do you play ?  

It looks like your playing ressers and if thats the case then your advantage as a resser player is you get to make more things. If your playing Seamus then you make more belles and if your playing Nicodem then you make more everything !! 

You hire models like Bette Noir who can just appear when something dies. She is a killing machine.  Just taking box crew Seamus wont be strong enough on the board by itself against everything. 

Thats why i said earlier build your crew based on what you need to accomplish :)

The strongest part about how Malifaux is designed (IMHO) is that you know exactly what you need to do to win the game before you choose your models, and every faction has models that can accomplish those objectives. Focusing on what the goal is, and how to get it accomplished if XYZ happens is the strongest way to play. While the odd model might pop up that seems a little too strong/too weak for it's cost, it generally balances out well.

• Like 2

My only fear is that I see a lot of our troops having lower Wp than Df, and our faction has nearly no ranged options apart from Seamus and a few other select models (or tricks, such as the Belles). With my very limited knowledge, I fear that many games I will be at a slight disadvantage from the get-go due to either the low Wp, the slow Wk, or no shooting, or all three. I also fear that since we are a melee-based faction, what could we ever do against a melee monster such as Lady J? I assume most would try to shoot her off the board before she can tear a hole in your crew, but we can't do that. Also our resilience, while somewhat helpful, I fear will still not be able to hold up a crazy beast like that.

Would someone assure me otherwise? I know I'm most likely wrong, but I just want to be explained what our faction can do to counter the tricks that other factions bring to the table.

Much appreciated!

Well though I am not a resser player I know them rather well from going against them and my brother having them.  So I can try to relieve some of your worries by giving some general advice about different things.  Having started out as a Neverborn player long ago I can tell you that shooting is not the end all because as people have pointed out the game is won by VP.  Really it comes down to two things, your ability to gain VP and your ability to Deny VP.  Ressers have some great general options with this with just Belles and Canine Remains.  They of course have others but these are some great general ones to point out to newer players. 

Canine remains are some cheap minions that are fast and capable of scoring in most Strategies and schemes.  One of them left alone can easily earn full VP for schemes like Protect Territory, power Ritual, and Plant Evidence while also being able to score most or all of the points for ones like Line in the Sand, Breakthrough, and plant explosives.  And while not great they are not bad against other low point scheme runners they might clash with as they drop the defense by 1 generally, if you get a crow on hit you can get that extra point of damage at end of turn, and are not easy to catch in the first place.

In turn Belles are often support in either luring your own forces for that extra couple inches or more likely pulling and disrupting enemy models.  The fact that Lure has a Ca8 means that most models are losing before the flip by 2-3 points, so if you flip a 9 they have to flip a 12-13 to beat you.  Also as the movement it causes is a move, not a push, they will not stop if they hit the corner of a building or another model, they will just walk around.  This means that it takes extra tight positioning to hinder lure, and often it will only slow down the first casting.  Add into this their high wound counts and good cost and they are solid.  More so against shooters as they can pull them out of position and with two of them tag teaming they can draw a single model across the board to the arms of your forces with out you needing to dive headlong into them.

As for melee monsters like Lady Justice and enforcers like Langston, ya they are monsters.  They are the sort that look at a single model and it dies.  The nice thing about Ressers are that alot of their options are effective minions.  Even something like Lady Justice or Langston worry about a Punk zombie flurrying against them or a Hanged whispering to them to half their wounds.  You might not take them down with a single model, but that single model might hurt them enough something else can drag them down.  The key to dealing with many of these melee models is to isolate them, whether it is to kill them or detain them.  Lady Justice can not charge out of combat if she is stuck in it with a Belle and with its wound count you can force her to drop two AP to kill it if you cheat the first defense high enough she cannot get a strait damage flip.  Sure you lose a 5ss model but you might have just removed his master effectively from the important stuff for a turn.  Belles are also good against these sort of models as they can lure them out of position or if you have a high card you are willing to burn you can try to slow them *which will either slow them or draw a high card out of their hand*.  Langston slowed cannot go charging though he might still get a swing in, Lady Justice slowed might not be able to charge if you stuck out of her range.

And this is all stuff from just two low point minion types, this is not even the stuff that masters or other minions can do for you.

I think I may have noted the nervousness in your post about facing shooting, while not having it. I also see the other games you play (and I have played, or still play those games as well).

The first thing you should understand is how much terrain you should have on the board. It is very important. The difference is like night and day. 2/3rds of the board should be filled with terrain. Best bet is to fill it all up in one area to be sure it is the right amount, and then start spreading it out. Without this, shooting crews may seems really OP.

The other posters here covered everything else pretty well, I think, but I thought I would add this bit.

Don't worry Ressers are quite nasty factions. Belles combined with Punk Zombies and Hanged is nightmare almoust all . If you need shooting there is few things not as good as others factions but Guild Autopsies (wave 2). These are quite nice with ressers style. Also Crooligans with misty may work to block shooting. Necropunks with leap may do quite nice maneuvers. As a Resser player I can say there is lots of fun ways to tease your opponets.

How to face Lady J with Ressurrectionists:

Get killed by her and win anyway.

Specifically, get her to attack a really hardy model (like a Rotten Belle) and spend her whole Activation doing so, while your other models go around earning you a lot of VP.

Then summon another Rotten Belle from the corpse and laugh maniacally.

• Like 1

Specifically, get her to attack a really hardy model (like a Rotten Belle) and spend her whole Activation doing so, while your other models go around earning you a lot of VP.

This.  I can't stress this idea enough, you don't need to kill things in this game to win.  Nor do you need models in play at the end of the game.  I've had a game with Nicodem where I managed to drop two models to my opponent's nine kills.  I won that game 9-3.  I've been tabled while playing Tara and still won.

How do you get around not having guns?  Stop caring about the wellbeing of your troops.  It doesn't matter how many zombies the guild mows through, there's always more where that came from.  Just focus on the strategies and schemes, and laugh like a madman when you raise something that your opponent just spent their masters entire activation killing.  Then do it again the next turn.  And again the next.  Nicodem excels at this.

• Like 1

If you play against Lady J, take Rotten Belles.  Instead of luring Lady J, use Undress.  If you succeed in Undressing Lady J, then you've won, regardless of vp or other factors.

No, that's not serious advice.

This.  I can't stress this idea enough, you don't need to kill things in this game to win.  Nor do you need models in play at the end of the game.  I've had a game with Nicodem where I managed to drop two models to my opponent's nine kills.  I won that game 9-3.  I've been tabled while playing Tara and still won.

I played yesterday with Seamus against a friend of mine who played Sonnia. I don't think I killed any models actually and still managed to pull off 9-3 win, I had 3 half dead models standing when the game ended :D