First Crew Advice

LordFezzington

Apologies if this is too vague, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Crew/Master for a total noob (me)?

Flicking through the rulebook, the game obviously has A LOT of strategic depth and synergies. Just looking for pointers on a Crew that would be relatively straightforward to run in order to learn the game.

Note this doesn't mean I'm looking for the 'easiest' Crew to win with, just one that's not mega-complicated.

Thanks in advance!

I second the recommendation to just pick a crew box that you like the look of unless you have a specific play style that you favor. You can learn to play the crew as you go and for the most part anyway you go will have competitive options (keep in mind though that some crew boxes may require additional purchases to really be playable).

Just to echo what everyone else said.

Look at the box sets and artwork. Choose a handful of your favorite. Then take a few minutes and just look at the rules for their master and see if its something that interests you. Go with that one.

The beauty of this edition is that you really can't make a wrong choice when considering balance. Each crew plays well and offers a lot of variety even when starting to move out of the crew box.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask here. People will help clarify.

another vote for a crew box you like

As long as the models appeal to you then you're going to have more fun assembling and painting them. Since the concept is that each crew should be well balanced with the others it isn't that big of a deal which one you start with.

The crew box gives you 30 +/- soulstone size list to jump into the game which you can expand upon later. Or if you decide you like the idea of a different crew down the road you can get that box set too!

:)

Thanks for the responses people.

Aesthetics/character was always going to be the main factor anyway. My biggest problem is that I want them all!

I should hopefully be getting a demo game at my LGS in the next couple of days so I'll get to see a couple of crews in action before I decide.

I'll be sure to let you know who I choose!

im in the get the crew you like the look/fluff of... each crew has its own very unique way of playing, most of which are rather intuitive once you put them on a table a couple times...

but for just plain straight forward, Lady Justice is rather no-frills.... which is good and bad in its own ways....

--Woe

Glad you managed to get a good deal. Chiming in a bit late but I agree with all the others who say to just pick the models you like and that seem to click with you.

I started off playing Viks (because hey, swords and guns!) and worked my way through most of the Outcast masters (I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I like) but I spend most time now playing Gremlins. Being a short female I have a natural affinity with little angry things that attack kneecaps.

@Ellessarion: Death From Below! ;)

Yeah, FauxPas, the balance between the factions seems very... well... balanced, for lack of a more appropriate term! No one faction wins more than any other, though more strategic and acutely diabolical players usually have the edge. :)

I, like a lot of us here, got into Malifaux first and foremost for the models and painting them. They are GORGEOUS, which is why they are much like that advertisement for Lay's Potato Chips: "You Can't Have Just One"! I started with Sonnia Criid, because I love painting fiery effects and the Witchling Stalkers were just too deliciously creepy. Then I have just slid over to pick up Pandora, and I have never had more fun painting a model than with painting Teddy! And I love getting the greenish-glowy effects with the Sorrows! I think I might actually have nightmares after painting Baby Kade and Candy, so I'm looking forward to that. ;)

But, yeah, no faction is better at winning. Players are. This game's models just are much more aesthetic an original than any I've seen.

@Monkeyboy: Guess what I bought from my LGS before my Seamus box has even arrived. Yep, the Sonnia crew!

Gorgeous minis - especially Sam Hopkins - though I will say they're a sight fiddlier to assemble than the GW stuff I'm used to. All put together and a little paint on Purifying Flame and a Witchling Stalker so shouldn't be long before they see some game time.

Thanks for all your input guys. Will probably start a painting progress thread now that I actually have some models, but feel free to keep the advice coming. Might help other newbies out!

Really enjoyed it, was only a 20SS game and we just played Line In The Sand with no Strategy. Just gave me a chance to familiarise myself with the mechanics etc.

I took Sam and 3 Witchlings and my opponent had Barbaros, a Young Nephilim & 3 Terror Tots. Couldn't compete with the extra movement in his crew, especially when I lost a Witchling. I had 2 Scheme Markers at the end, but he managed to lay the 4 to win 3-1.

Still, I learned a lot - like Nephilim can move all over the place really quickly! And my Crew can't...