dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

Thanks.

McTavish has a lot of parts that should be 'brown-ish' so I experimented with a lot of subtle variants (Zoraida too for that matter) but I really need a new camera.......you can see with the McTavish pics the difference in the color if you look at the background.....and the only thing I did differently was to turn him around :o.

And yes, he will get based. McTavish was the last of the 'jungle themed' Zoraida crew....now that he is done I'll be working on all of their bases. 

Expect to see full completed crew pics sometime next week probably. I can't wait to see how they all look together......there's a lot of color carry over between the models, but I'm hoping there's enough variation that they'll all still stand on their own.

• 2 weeks later...

Denis, these are truly amazing.  Love the Mama.  She IS a work of art as are they all but she is breath taking.  I agree with what someone said here, that the one would think all those colors would somehow not work but they do.  She ties them all together as she should.  Your client should be exceedingly happy with these.

I also love McTavish and Z  the blending and shadow are beautiful.

Now, I shall have to get painting and start getting pointers from you!!!  Unlike a lot of the poor folks here, I can actually pick your brain in person!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

Only part I'm not fond of is the bright pink foliage on Bad Juju's base. I feel that it really steals attention away from the model and kinda forms a weird focal point for the whole crew in the first pic.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about it myself.......I was trying to give him some color but as you say it may just take make it worse....I'm still thinking about it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Nice work.

Glad to see you've been able to pick up the brush again. Eye all better (sorry if you've covered this elsewhere, I don't get to catch every post these days)?

Thanks. My depth perception is still a bit off, but I've learned to compensate. It slowed me down for a while, but I've been working at it hard and I think in the end it's actually helped me to improve. Most painters hit a plateau where their skill just levels off.....I think being forced to try new things to overcome my eye allowed me to break the barrier. 

So while it was a massive debacle of refunding people's commissions when it happened, it paid off in other ways in the end. Silver linings and all that. :)

Thanks for asking.

I really love how you made the Silurids sorta like poison dart frogs plus the poses they are in makes it seem like they are doing a freeze frame pose to blend in (which is thematically appropriate considering their abilities).

Haha.....thanks........and now I'll never be able to look at the orange 'Jazz-Hands' Silurid the same again.

Hah! The poison darts are "blegh" for all the right reasons!

To weigh in on the colours debate; I come from Historical miniature painting, so I tend to do as realistic a colour set as I can. That said, when I get the chance to go into colour (Ten Thunders, Pandora, etc.) I go whole hog and make it really pop. That way you have an advantage of some of the models in your force really becoming focal points!

-Essentially, co-ordinating colours across an entire crew, not just across the model.

DGraz: You know now you need to do the bright green poison dart frog right? Giv'er neon green and nasty kinda thing.

It's good to hear (and clearly see) that your bionic optical enhancement hasn't permanently affected your work; It's quite the adjustment I can tell from the brushwork, but whatever you did to compensate for it was just what was needed! I'm eager to see what's next.

• Like 1

Thanks Clawz.

Yeah, it really pushed me to make some adjustments......just shows what a person can do if they want something bad enough. Of course looking at Mako's stuff helps too........."okay, this guy still makes me look like a chump! What can I do now to get closer to THAT?"

Unfortunately, that's the end of the Silurid commissions, so you probably won't see any more frog types :( (I'm kinda glad, they were a pain to get right)

I've been noticing this (and may soon make a post on my blog regarding this, especially if I can borrow images from y'all) I think it's important to remember stylistic differences too. Model painting may not have art movements as varied as canvas painting, but we certainly do have our stylistic differences! DGraz yours is what I'd call "painterly" (not hiding, and in fact embracing its brush origins). I attempt realism, which means more muted highlights, realistic colours, and in many cases no painted eyes (because you wouldn't see them at this scale or smaller) and Mako's, if I may put on the art critic hat is more "exaggerated realism" or perhaps "realsim" (no spelling error): Realistic colours, exaggerated for effect.

Dgraz, you've mastered a form of painterly technique that is, as you say, comic book inspired. Keep it! If you do want to lean towards more realistic, I highly recommend starting on a historical fig. painting a 1:35 scale model gives you lots of room to practice smooth transitions, and you can pick up a basic resin figure (say, WWII tank crewman or such) for under $20, practice a ton of detail, and then use that to refine. (Plus, the fact that the model is directly based on a real event/person/look means you kind of have to follow the colours exactly.)

-That or, try painting something in 15mm scale (1:100). After a few of those, 28mm or 32mm seems massive in comparison!

• Like 1

@Clawz - as long as I get credited, feel free to use whatever you want. In fact, here's a link to my photobucket account:
http://s269.photobucket.com/user/grazclan2/library/?sort=3&page=0

I appreciate the tips for learning more realism, but I doubt I'll look into it.....I'm happy with my style. As far as detail goes, I don't think I'm in bad shape on that front (always room for improvement of course).......but if you go to my photobucket account, check out my 'Bushido File' and the picture of Kenko with the wrap-around dragon tattoo.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but I love how the frogs on McT's belt are colored like the silurids and gupps

Thanks. Good eye........no one else has pointed it out, but yup....it was perfect how he had three frogs to match my three color schemes....I couldn't resist :)

• Like 1

Bahahahahaha, smiley-face Harlequin Warlock! That alone makes the wander into your photobucket worth it!

I recommend at least the scale swapping; I thought the same, then painted some 15mm and it's amazing what you can then accomplish in 28 (or 32). It forces the learning of tricks to deal with the small scale that when reapplied to larger models means even greater detail. (Not saying you're lacking in the detail department, but man, the difference is insane!)

Also, if you still possess the Silurids; giving them a gloss coat would make their skin seem all slimy and slick, and could really enhance that frog feel from them. My fiancee is painting up Gupps (hilariously/fittingly, with another type of poison dart frog paintscheme) and I've already cut one base for the spawn mother, and will be doing another so they look like they're sat in shallow water.

Thanks. Those Harlequins raised a fair bit for a charity raffle at my LGS.

It's funny the scale thing you mention. I was unable to do the flat work I'm capable of now until I started trying it with woad tattoos on my old Troll beasts. I found working at the larger scale allowed me to make get smaller.

The Silurids are packed lovingly in bubble wrap ready to go to the Post Office. I had considered the gloss coat, but eventually decided against it.

Can't wait to see those Gupps. Shoot me a PM when you post them so I don't miss them.

• 2 weeks later...