dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

Finally finished up my Marcus crew...now that the new plastics are out...haha.

Some of you old-timers have probably seen a few of these before, but I added a few new models and I re-did all of the bases, so figured I would just post them all for completeness.

th_100_2728_zpsf00c7ae4.jpg

th_100_2709_zps357cc268.jpgth_100_2713_zps841c77e4.jpgth_100_2703_zpsc593a078.jpg

th_100_2715_zps18df85cf.jpgth_100_2705_zps7355c704.jpgth_100_2708_zps63a2506e.jpg

th_100_2698_zps4dae9f1c.jpgth_100_2700_zps0df934ef.jpg

And my Rasputina crew........

th_100_2727_zpsee0869ad.jpg

th_100_2719_zpsa08ddc24.jpgth_100_2720_zpsafbcbf6e.jpg

th_100_2725_zpscf9140f8.jpgth_100_2722_zpsd6da10bb.jpg

th_100_2717_zps8743a717.jpgth_100_2723_zps49ce96cb.jpgth_100_2724_zpsf0bf4e65.jpg

Thanks for looking. All comments and criticisms are welcome. Even bad ones...I can take it. The more you say, the better I get. (That means you can blast me if you want Mako :) )

• Like 2

Aargh! The pressure! Musn't... say... something... stupid...

Quick note that the pictures refuse to show me anything but thumbnails. Didn't matter, I wandered into your photobucket account anyway *grin*

That rattler is a gorgeous bit of work. So is the pattern on the cerberus. And... did you manage to speckle pattern the hoarcats? That's just awesome, I love the little guys!

And now, I shall commence nitpicking (it is just trivial stuff).

You might want to pick out the focal points on the models more, especially the humans. Generally, you want to give those areas a big more contrast in them, push the highlights up more and keep them overall a little brighter. Doesn't always apply, but the faces on the cerberus are hard to pick out from the coat pattern, a touch of ivory extra in your final highlights might have just made them stand out a bit more. Same for Marcus and Myranda.

Usually the face is the focus, unless you're going for a very unusual style. You've done it on the waldgeist and it gives him some extra personality.

I'd also start looking at stuff like OSL effects with Marcus' flame - a little yellow and orange cast across his body and face on that side would make the flame seem more real and warm.

Other than that, it's the usual thing that everyone (me included, and pretty much every other painter in existence) can do - thinner layers, smoother colour changes, and so on. That's just default generic advice though, you've obviously got the control to pull off some quite tricky and subtle stuff like raspy's skirt pattern, so its the weird little things like focal points and using more types of contrast that you can play with now.

And those can drive you nuts for years...

Thanks for the comments.

Hmmmm......I don't know why you guys are having trouble...if you click the pic it should send you right to my photobucket album. I'm pretty computer uhhhh......derp, so I don't know what else to do.....it opens right up for me....perhaps right click the pic and select to open the link.....

You might want to pick out the focal points on the models more, especially the humans. Generally, you want to give those areas a big more contrast in them, push the highlights up more and keep them overall a little brighter. Doesn't always apply, but the faces on the cerberus are hard to pick out from the coat pattern, a touch of ivory extra in your final highlights might have just made them stand out a bit more. Same for Marcus and Myranda.

Usually the face is the focus, unless you're going for a very unusual style. You've done it on the waldgeist and it gives him some extra personality.

That's good stuff. Thanks.

interesting. if i left click on the photo i get just a thumbnail, but if i right click, and select open in a new tab, i get your photobucket with full size photos.

the snake pattern is very impressive. love the Cerberus pattern as well, but i see what mako means about the heads disappearing into the body.

Thanks everyone. It's still difficult, but I'm starting to feel more like my old self.

Got any tips for painting fur dgraz? Yours look pretty good and I'm about to start on my plastic Marcus crew.

Thanks. Just like any other hair...think of it as one solid piece, not individual strands of hair...and highlight accordingly. This is especially true where lots of little strands of hair are actually sculpted on. I paint it dark for the shadow, then I start highlighting with lighter and lighter colors, I'll leave some of the darkness deep inside, but I don't try to do each hair.....I look for where the light would hit....like at the top of curls and such and that's where I do my highlights.

Spots and stuff is a bit different.....be happy to get into that if you want.

oh you had eye surgery? was it a lasik style surgery? I had that done, and my god best money i ever spent in my life.

you know you are a dork when the doc asks if there is anything he can do to make you feel more relaxed and with a deadpan straight face you answer with "when the laser cuts the flap, can it make a light saber noise and then when the machine is doing the laser shots to re-sculpt my cornea, can it make blaster noises like the walkers on hoth?"

poor doc couldn't tell if was serious or joking.

oh you had eye surgery? was it a lasik style surgery? I had that done, and my god best money i ever spent in my life.

Yeah, but it screwed up my depth perception. The only way I can paint now is to put a contact in one eye AND use reading glasses. I've always had massive problems trying to use contacts so it's an effort and I can only do it for a while. I didn't even bother for a while, so I'm out of practice...but it's coming back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is one epic paint job. Love it. The fur really came out nice and real looking.

If I had to pick on something (and I know you like me to *wink* ), the most I'd suggest is a very light glaze of sepia on the teeth and bone spikes, just to distinguish them from the fur a touch more. But it's such a trivial thing, I feel bad saying it!

• Like 1

That is one epic paint job. Love it. The fur really came out nice and real looking.

If I had to pick on something (and I know you like me to *wink* ), the most I'd suggest is a very light glaze of sepia on the teeth and bone spikes, just to distinguish them from the fur a touch more. But it's such a trivial thing, I feel bad saying it!

To tone back on the white of them? The arm and back spikes was something I wished stood out more, but wasn't sure of the fix. I thought the teeth stood out pretty good against the dark mouth and pink face.....no? You think they need it too........in that case, what about the talons?

Thanks for the advice.

Talons could have it too - like you say they and the teeth don't need it to stand out, but it would tie them to the spikes if you tweaked them. That would give a touch of that same colouring spread at the top, bottom and sides of the model as you look at it from the front, balancing it out.

Not too much on the actual tips of the spikes, but getting a bit more intense as they head towards the fur. It's that join area you want to play with more than the very tip of the spikes. Might be a case of tiny touches here and there, see how it looks, and go carefully and slow on it. These kinds of things are very much personal preference and a lot of guesswork and fiddling...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some commission work I'm doing.

Disclaimer: I know people have had trouble opening these in the past; you should be able to just click it to go directly to my photobucket account.....or right click and select to open in a new tab.

These aren't technically complete, they'll all get some foliage on the bases, but I won't do that until the entire crew is complete. Also, my camera seems to be adding a bit of red for some reason, the reds here are actually much more orange in person.

th_100_2834_zpsdd4c196a.jpgth_100_2836_zps309be8c5.jpgth_100_2837_zpsaca5f2a7.jpg

• Like 2