dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

• 4 weeks later...

Inspired by this Gaboon Viper:

bitis_gabonica_east_african_gaboon_viper

I painted the incredibly awesome new plastic Razorspine Rattler (seriously....great model) to go with my Marcus crew. If you go back in the thread, you'll see my Marcus crew is winter themed with greys, blues, and a little orange for contrast. So I changed the colors of the real thing to match:

100_3102_zpsa5556695.jpg

100_3104_zps31a85c29.jpg

100_3103_zpsd4654224.jpg

C&C always welcome.

• Like 6

Oh wow! That is one crazy colour scheme pulled off just perfect. Also, I'm a bit worried that despite the model having a bazillion scales that you need to pay individual attention to, you decided to go with two or three colours for a lot of them.

go home and have a look at my own models and just cry myself to sleep. :D

If the fumes are that bad, I suggest switching your paint brand ASAP!

:P

• Like 1

Oh wow! That is one crazy colour scheme pulled off just perfect. Also, I'm a bit worried that despite the model having a bazillion scales that you need to pay individual attention to, you decided to go with two or three colours for a lot of them.

Thanks....but I'm a bit confused about why you're worried. Worried that I have issues? That I may need psychiatric care and strong medication? That I'm a masochist? Because all of those things are certainly true.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

I read the tutorial and it's funny how much bluer the body came out once you'd painted on the stripes. Was that just the pictures, or something to do with the black covering up some of the grey parts?

Awesome job, by the way.

I believe it's the fact that the black is neutral...which emphasizes the color difference in the blue/grey.

As an aside, I've had this model on the table a couple of times and the warm/cool trick worked pretty good.....I'll have to take a picture from a distance so you can see, but at table top distance the difference in the body compared to the heads is much more subtle (I think it really stands out in the close-ups).

• Like 2

I liked your tutorial!

Thanks, and I'm glad for that. I've never done an article like that (I tried to take my lead from how Mako does his since his are extraordinary).

Any feedback on the tutorial (what was good, what was bad, what could be done better) would be appreciated in case I get to do anymore. I never get offended by criticism, so feel free to fire away.

Wow, I have been away from your post for too long! When you say you can post it now, was it in the contest? (I didn't see it or I'd have voted for it! T.T)

Interesting choice on the more painterly feel. I love the subtle shades on the striping (and main bits of fur).

Wow, I have been away from your post for too long! When you say you can post it now, was it in the contest? (I didn't see it or I'd have voted for it! T.T)

Interesting choice on the more painterly feel. I love the subtle shades on the striping (and main bits of fur).

Thanks a lot. Chronicles #16 has an article about it......I didn't want to post it here until that came out.

• 1 month later...

Oh my, these look fantastic! I love the flower pattern and white just fits these fellows so well. The yellow and green complement these and the koi is fantastic (though it's interesting how many koi fish I've seen during the last six months or so on minis). Also lovely NMM, especially the gold.

Now, you said that you welcome the "bad" kind, so I'll say something. But do realize that these are seriously fantastic minis and far better than what I could do.

The shading on the white leaves a bit to be desired I think. The pants on the tophat fellow look fantastic (other than the crotch) - there is various hues and the shadows flow naturally. But elsewhere there is just this mid grey tone that the shadows plummet into almost straight away and it just stays there. It's also a very aggressive change which leads to this "sausagey" look that I've seen a lot on 15mm minis.

This is most visible on the hammer fellow from the back. That's a lot of mid-grey - very wide, very strong shadows with minimal gradient.

So yeah, blend the shadows and vary their intensity. If you look at, e.g., this, there's a lot of variance between the intensity of the shadows.

Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful.

• Like 1

Oh my, these look fantastic! I love the flower pattern and white just fits these fellows so well. The yellow and green complement these and the koi is fantastic (though it's interesting how many koi fish I've seen during the last six months or so on minis). Also lovely NMM, especially the gold.

Thanks...yeah, Koi and cherry blossoms are all the rage :D

Now, you said that you welcome the "bad" kind, so I'll say something. But do realize that these are seriously fantastic minis and far better than what I could do.

Thanks again, don't worry about offending me......I studied art for years and you don't get too far without learning how to take some criticism....as long as it's constructive and not just "You suck", I don't get insulted.

The shading on the white leaves a bit to be desired I think. The pants on the tophat fellow look fantastic (other than the crotch) - there is various hues and the shadows flow naturally. But elsewhere there is just this mid grey tone that the shadows plummet into almost straight away and it just stays there. It's also a very aggressive change which leads to this "sausagey" look that I've seen a lot on 15mm minis.

This is most visible on the hammer fellow from the back. That's a lot of mid-grey - very wide, very strong shadows with minimal gradient.

So yeah, blend the shadows and vary their intensity.

Errrrr.....damn. Now that you say it. I'm into double digits with my layers on it....but it looks like I left the darkness too wide and went a little too far with the final white. Damn. Now I'll have to fix it.....shouldn't be too tough though....a few glaze coats should lighten the shadow and help the other layers show up better.

Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful.

Unfortunately it was...which means I have more work to do :D. Nice critique. Thanks.....come back any time!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Math...thanks again for pointing out my white problem....hopefully these are better (the bald guy has cherry blossoms on his coat too.....not my fault he took it off :D )

a>100_3196_zpshdz8fd1p.jpg100_3207_zpshirnve6v.jpg100_3171_zpsvzuftaux.jpg100_3172_zpsr58n1duy.jpg100_3159_zpshzgg2sms.jpg

Sidir

100_3192_zpsox5zso24.jpg100_3193_zpsnqdbzbhn.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Edited by dgraz
  • Like 3