Plastic Sculpts

N1ck

Just to be clear this is not one of those threads debating on why plastic models are good or bad, I am hoping someone would be able to answer this.

I have noticed that with the plastic models there are pieces that could have already been sculpted on to their body. For example I am currently assembling the Latigo crew and there are several instances where I will need to glue something that, in theory, could have been sculpted to the model. For example, Santiago and his belt buckle, Fransico and his frilly shirt, Papa Loco and his dynamite strapped to his leg, and Perdita's sidearm on her leg. I am not upset I do not mind assembling them, (it helps with learning how to assemble models properly) but just curious as to why this was. Was there reason to the madness or was it just not thought of?

As I understand it there cannot be any undercuts in the molds for plastic models so some pieces have to be separate. I too just assembled the Latigo set & for example the reason Perdita's holster was separate is because the handle of the gun would have caused an undercut (that's why the empty holster is part of her leg). I will admit sometimes the parts are split at weird spots, but undercuts are the reason.

As I understand it there cannot be any undercuts in the molds for plastic models so some pieces have to be separate. I too just assembled the Latigo set & for example the reason Perdita's holster was separate is because the handle of the gun would have caused an undercut (that's why the empty holster is part of her leg). I will admit sometimes the parts are split at weird spots, but undercuts are the reason.

Bingo. It's a limitation of plastics, though with creative use of extra parts, you can get around it. To understand what's meant by undercuts, just imagine the difference between casting metals, which go in rubber molds, to plastics, when go in steel molds. The rubber molds can be 'peeled' from around metals once the models cool down, whereas the plastics have to be able to come directly out, limiting the directions of the details on a given piece.

Interesting... I was curious about this as well.

I already lost Lady J's left hip holster... AFTER I had glued it on. Apparently the blue-tac I used to hold bits in place worked it loose or something. I spent an hour cursing the gods for that bit not being part of the leg mold and searching my living room carpet in vain.

The zombie chihuahua...Dear Lord in Heaven or those bits tiny.

Was just commenting on how it was the tiniest multipart model I've ever seen.

I quite appreciate the attention to detail and general perfectionism, but I do feel like Wyrd could sacrifice just a little detail for some of those outlandishly small parts being incorporated into larger ones, so us consumers could handle minis more easily.

Was just commenting on how it was the tiniest multipart model I've ever seen.

Previously, I think Burt Jebsen held that title. I don't wanna see what they do that's going to be just as tricky and yet smaller than the doggy.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Bingo. It's a limitation of plastics, though with creative use of extra parts, you can get around it. To understand what's meant by undercuts, just imagine the difference between casting metals, which go in rubber molds, to plastics, when go in steel molds. The rubber molds can be 'peeled' from around metals once the models cool down, whereas the plastics have to be able to come directly out, limiting the directions of the details on a given piece.

A few observations (based on the instructions sheets):

The Witchling Stalkers have some amazing detail for single piece models.

Madam Sybelle's breasts are a separate piece. [Why did I not hear of this sooner, as in right around Gencon?]

And ya gotta love Seamus' Build-a-Belle Workshop.

Reading this I'm not convinced that Wyrd actually have gotten any forward from Yan Lo and Co. Which are no doubt nice looking models but horrible quality.

Marcus comes in 10 pieces. That little v-shaped piece on the upper left is part of his pony tail and attached at the end, to give it an upturn flourish.

marcus.jpg?t=1387387995

Marcus comes in 10 pieces. That little v-shaped piece on the upper left is part of his pony tail and attached at the end, to give it an upturn flourish.

marcus.jpg?t=1387387995

Oh.. Ten pieces? So yeah, not gotten forward at all.. Seems like quite the opposite actually. Really sad to hear that, as Marcus was the exact one I wanted. Thank you for posting Grim.

I just picked out my Yan Lo with the intention to paint it and forgot how feeble they were. Ashigarus in particular

perhaps its because I come from a games workshop background where an army consists of roughly 100-200 multi pose plastic minis that i dont find these at all bad to assemble. the fact that these are nearly all keyed so they match exactly the way they were designed makes life way easier.

if you are having trouble i would ask are you using superglue or plastic cement? the testors model masters series plastic cement is far far superior for plastic assembly. the tiny tube allows for greater flow control and requires much less product to bond the 2 pieces. even the tiniest bonds are rock solid as the cement actually fuses the 2 pieces into one chemically.

imagine trying to line up all those little arms if there were no keys on the shoulder sockets. thats where i'm coming from.

marcus.jpg?t=1387387995

I actually like 10 piece Marcus. It makes everything on him pretty much optional. If I want to make my Marcus with no crotch skull, no overkilt, and / or no ponytail, it'll be easy enough to greenstuff any keys / gaps away. The head would be harder, but a tribal headdress or helm of some type would make it easier.

Now, if the Jackalope were 10 pieces...

perhaps its because I come from a games workshop background where an army consists of roughly 100-200 multi pose plastic minis that i dont find these at all bad to assemble. the fact that these are nearly all keyed so they match exactly the way they were designed makes life way easier.

This! What we lose in the tiny and multitudinous parts, I thinbk we make up for with the fact that every pose looks right and is easy to attain. I don't find I even need instructions for most of the new plastics, the keys being right there already (though I'm happy for the failsafe).

Sidenote, speaking of ... My army is/was Orcs & Goblins, and I remember the first time I tried to stick my boyz together as a unit. Nothing fit. It was miniature-breakingly frustrating to realize I couldn't play with what I'd painted for the impossibility of placing them base-to-base. Even after that, when I knew to assemble minis with an eye for unit cohesion, I had to paint each model's rank and file on the underside of its base to ensure I could put it back together after removing casualties. **** that. I don't think I can go back.

Edited by ThatDarnSatan

Yeah, GW was pretty bad with a bunch of their plastic regiments. They had Orcs, Skaven, Chaos Warriors, a bunch of other stuff that completely would not rank up. I bought two of the Seekers of Slannesh boxes intending to make a unit of 2 ranks of 5, just to find out I had to rebase them to get them into ranks- because they hung off of their cavalry bases.

The upside of GW plastics is that they lend themselves very well to kit bashing, multiple poses, and are (with a few exceptions) resistant to breaking after being assembled.