it finally came...Po Boys Terrain crowdfunding live!

harbinger

That's tough... Personally, I never expected the project to meet the initial deadline as these are quite often too optimistc. However, in this situation I'm willing to wait as long as necessary. I just hope that the surgery helps and Damian gets back on his feet. Fingers crossed man, stay strong!

• Like 1

This is sad news, but something that after several thousand dollars have been poured into the project, that we as participants in the crowd funding, deserve to know.    And I am going to be the evil one here and say what all of the backers are thinking...knowing sooner as opposed to later would make all of us feel better than to think we put our money behind a sham.  I am sad that this venture might not go any further, but at the same time there have been some weird kinks to this whole project which is making me even more hesitant to do any more crowd funding.

• Like 2

Okay, so an entire weekend has passed and no other word.  We were supposedly at the "shipping" stage of this project after a 45 day wait because of a manufacturing issue.  Which means, if I had taken 16,000 of people's money or was even a part of it, I would be spending the weekend stuffing boxes and envelopes so that people would quit bitching about it.

Things are not adding up here at all.

I know everyone is like, "Heavens sake dude, he was in the hospital for surgery!".  First off, I am a medical professional so the details just don't jive, but I am willing to think the possibility is there because of the sketchy story..  Delays, "vacations" right before shipping, $2000 flights to Hong Kong for a crowd-funding of $16,000?

Any 40K guys know of Daniel Mandelbaum, or Redstarone?  Matt Bonder?  Massively elaborate deceptions to get money. Admittedly, I don't think this is him, because he hasn't blown his lid about his wife in the hospital at death's door because of stomach cancer or one of the other elaborate hoaxes he pulled.  Yes, that guy really went there.

http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=198121

Not saying this is him, but the elaborateness of the excuses makes me wonder if some of it hasn't been snaked right out from underneath Mr. Bonder.

I hate to say it, but I want something concrete.

I am really torn on which way to go with this. I don't want to kick a guy while he's down. Life happens and what has been described is him fighting for his life. I am sure the last thing on his mind is fulfilling these orders.

On the other hand, this is the internet. And if someone wanted to construct a ruse and/or buy time, this would be a pretty good way to do it. Some guy no one has ever heard of gets on Facebook and explains this horrible thing that has happened. Who wants to be the jerk to complain? It's almost perfect social engineering. As has been noted, it's not like its unprecedented.

Isn't there someone on the forums who can vouch for this guy?

You cut out all of your margins for the project...yet you fly to the Far East to check up on a manufacturing issue?  Sorry....bs.

It's long past time for PayPal disputes, but I think Fraud charges are in order with Kissimmee Florida if someone doesn't officially start talking, and talking soon.  Things don't add up and the silence just leads me to believe that this was a huge scam.  Or maybe it didn't start that way, but due to mismanagement it has turned into one.

I think some of you are looking at kickstarter/indiegogo from the wrong perspective completely. These are crowd sourcing sites. That means you are investing in a startup. This is not amazon.com where you go shopping. If the company is successful they reward investors with perks. 

Indiegogo is an online crowdfunding venue for people and entities seeking to raise funds for their own Campaigns and to contribute to the Campaigns of others. Campaign Owners can offer gifts in the form of tangible items or intangible services (collectively, "Perks") to Contributors. Perks are not offered for sale. Indiegogo makes no representations about the quality, safety, morality or legality of any Campaign, Perk or Contribution or the truth or accuracy of content posted on the website. Indiegogo does not represent that Campaign Owners will deliver Perks or that Contributions will be used as described in the Campaign. Users use the Service at their own risk.    https://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms

Pay attention and understand what you are investing in before hand instead of threatening some guy on the internet with charges of fraud because you haven't gotten your "gift" yet. If you want to go shopping, do it at your LGS. If you want to invest in a company because you want their products to be available for retail in the future, share the wealth on kickstarter and indiegogo. 

• Like 1

And you are right St. Murphy...in one respect.  That is that I can't do anything to Indiegogo.  It says nothing about going after some dude that took my money and has gone absent. I don't need you "telling" me how crowdfunding works or how to "threaten" someone.  It isn't a threat at all.  I will be calling the police department in Kissimmee Florida by the end of the week.  If he has moved, well I think I can find a few guys that can track him down.

In fact, with the commitment he made to Indiegogo...he's not living up to his part of the deal.  Like I said, silent.  And since you want to quote it up, this is from the same page.

"As a Campaign Owner, you are permitted to offer Perks to Contributors. You shall meet all commitments you make in your Campaign including, but not limited to, delivering all Perks you offered with your Campaign. You will respond promptly and truthfully to all questions posed to you by Indiegogo. If you are unable to fulfill any of your commitments (including delivering any Perks), you will work with the Contributors to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution, which may include refunding their Contributions."

You cut out all of your margins for the project...yet you fly to the Far East to check up on a manufacturing issue?  Sorry....bs.

That got me puzzled as well, but I had already paid up at that time... I am glad though that I am not the only one who finds that *funny*.

On the other hand: I just checked his "harbinger" account. He joined the forum in 2010 and posted almost 400 times in more than 60 threads, nearly all of them related to terrain and painting. While it is possible that this is a fake account ("social engineering"), I would argue it is unlikely. So I still have some hope.

• Like 2

I had a stake in the Redstarone fiasco from Bartertown and Dakka Dakka.  And before it all blew up, I think the guy really did have a plan, he just got swept up into a huge venture that changed and mutated into the beast that it became.  I am beginning to think that this has the same make-up.

I contacted PayPal today and while they cannot help ( past 45 days), they have told me that as I paid by card it could be refunded by my bank as long as its within 6 months. PayPal also told me I wouldn't have even been covered within the 45 days as the payment had been sent for services ( as opposed to for goods). Sounds odd that I was sending money for a service rather than goods so was never covered

Also not sure if you noticed but the payment through Paypal went to one Edward Mize, while the whole campaign has been under the name Damian Knight. So even those don't hold together.

I hate to say it but I am afraid that there's nothing to be shipped out? 

less than £100 you can use chargeback for up to 120 days.

Which is in 3 days time.

Well, I always looked at backing this project as a punt.  

I would prefer to not get anything because the project imploded rather than simply being ripped off but sure.

From now on I will only ever be backing projects that I believe I can trust and can actually deliver.

On the other hand: I just checked his "harbinger" account. He joined the forum in 2010 and posted almost 400 times in more than 60 threads, nearly all of them related to terrain and painting. While it is possible that this is a fake account ("social engineering"), I would argue it is unlikely. So I still have some hope.

Facts like those are important for sure however accounts can be "hacked" and used for nefarious purposes. From what I have read this was done to issue the Cease and Desist order in the Dakka Dakka example that has been thrown around.

Hopefully this is not the case but as the days go by and the silence remains the likely hood of "rip off" increases. I am glad the money wasn't there for me on this one though I do like the look of the stuff.

The latest from the fb page. Make of it what you will.

• Leah Gustavson I am sorry, the outlook sounds pretty grim. I do wish him a speedy recovery. I would suggest however that some kind of arrangement be made for his friends to have the product released so they can pack it up and ship it out. I would be happy to stain my own terrain and that would be a lot less for Damian to do when he is in recovery. There has to be some kind of paperwork that can be filled out releasing the product as is to be shipped.
  • 577319_589379587783288_171053581_t.jpg

Po Boys Terrain This is currently what is being looked into. The supplier has been contacted and am awaiting reply of what paperwork will need to be shown to have the components shipped to the US instead of being picked up there as per the original plan. Staining is not a issue, I know enough people that would love to help Damian out on that. It is the weathering on some of the orders which I personally do not know how to duplicate. I will worry about that after we can secure the shipment of parts. People have concerns and I do not fault them for that considering the way todays world is. Nothing I can say short of "the buildings are in the mail" will put those concerns to rest. Arguing it will only result in further ill will. Instead I will continue to try and help a good man out and announce something concrete when I have it.
  • Like 1