Plastic vs. Metal: Full Cage Deathmatch!!!

Emberlost

Okay, now that I'm done being silly, I've got a serious question for the Malifaux players out there: Do you prefer your miniatures in plastic or metal? My wife is a die-hard metal fan, but there are good reasons for that, most notably that she tends to leave her cases in the car most of the time. She's physically handicapped, and I'm not always there to haul them in and out of the car for her.

For myself, I'm a fan of plastics. The reasons why:

• I've seen plastics with poses I don't think would be as practical in metal. Mei Feng is a good example.
  • Plastics are less susceptible to droppage. I've dropped plastics on a concrete floor with no damage other than chipped paint. Metals always seem to come up missing a part.
  • They take paint better.
  • They're lighter. Less of a concern with Malifaux, but with other games with a higher model count, more so.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Edited by Emberlost

I like the heft. I also feel like, with Malifaux, at least, the metals are easier to put together(because they do not have nearly so many tiny pieces)

While the tiny parts is a little annoying at least I don't have to pin plastic models. I really don't like putting together metal models, and the Malifaux ones are no exception. I assembled the Zoraida box after having assembled some Oirans and remember being annoyed that I was back to working with metal. I also personally prefer the lower weight of the models, but at least if you want more weight you can just add some.

So yeah, plastics for me. They are just generally much less hassle and tends to stand up to use (paint chips etc.) better.

Yeah, it's not a strong preference, and plastic is growing on me, but I still prefer metal a bit. Not enough to make me not play or buy the hell out of plastics, but enough that most models(steampunk arachnids and large, complex models like Lazarus or Nekima being the notable exceptions) I'd rather purchase the metal.

This really is a hard question to answer, there are too many variables.

Who is doing the manufacturing?

How much is the metal and how much cheaper is the plastic?

How many pieces are the models and how much of a pain in the butt is it to assemble the pieces?

Does the final model look like it will break if I put it in a figure case or shatter if it hits the floor?

How big is the model?

Is it a limited edition?

Will I be painting it or just using it unpainted?

Will children be handling the model?

If I paint it and/or assemble it will it make it more difficult to resell the model later on?

Given all of the factors involved, even just at a consumer level, I do get suspicious when people start saying "I hate metals" or "I hate plastic".

Why not elaborate on those for us, and how they affect your decisions? This is a dedicated material comparison thread, and I for one would be interested to see some in depth thoughts from people in here.

I personally cannot think of an occasion that I would choose metal over plastic with Wyrd, as I prefer to paint the plastics - the look of them (posing, size etc being the parts of that that are material dependent) and the ease with which they go together compared to pinning and cleaning up metals makes them much less annoying to get to the paint stage, even if there are more bits and they're smaller. Also easier to convert and repose, and I prefer the detail on the plastics.

I'd pick resin if I could (I even paid a premium on a kickstarter recently to get my stuff in resin instead of metal), and would also pay a premium (though possibly less of one) for plastics. Again though, only if they are decent quality. If the plastics are lousy, I'd look at the metal. If metal is the only option, I'm more wary as I know how much I hate the cleanup but if I like the model I'll still get it if I like it enough (obviously, since I have a bunch of stuff from infinity, old stuff from Wyrd, and more from people like hasslefree and Okko. But they get worked on a lot slower as that cleanup is a massive effort barrier for me!).

In a nutshell though, I simply don't enjoy working with metals as much, for a whole host of little reasons they're just more of a chore to me than plastics or resin.

Why not elaborate on those for us, and how they affect your decisions? This is a dedicated material comparison thread, and I for one would be interested to see some in depth thoughts from people in here.

While I don't think I can fairly answer the poll I would be happy to satisfy your curiosity. But...I can blather on at length when "talking shop". Is there anything or anywhere in particular that you would want me to start at?

In general, plastic. Hopefully Wyrd has gotten away from the sadistic model construction of some of their initial plastics, like the stupid 10 thunder archers, or insane designs like making Burt Jebson's *head* 3 pieces. I don't have any of the new ones aside from Tara (who wasn't bad at all). Wyrd has also run into quality control issues with their plastics, partly from using digital renders over real sculpts. The new sisters box is out of scale because no one paid attention, but its never going to be fixed because the molds are too expensive. The depleted are too small and soft in detail compared to the metal sculpts. Wyrd, IMO, still hasn't proven themselves entirely in the plastics department, but in general seem to be getting better.

Plastic pricing leaves much to be desired if they aren't going to be selling many (and high prices drive even more buyers away). Overpriced pieces like Fuhatsu or limited editions would be better served in resin or metal, than always sticking with plastics and gouging the consumer. Its not always the best or most practical choice, because sometimes the molds are too expensive to justify the medium.

Edited by ehren37

Wait, I don't remember anyone saying the scale issue wasn't being fixed -I remember Nathan saying he wasn't happy and was looking into the situation, and then later on that there had been progress (of an unspecified type). But not anyone saying that nothing was being done...

Plastics for me...models like the misaki crew are beautiful but are fragile but I prefer the look and feel of the plastic minis. The new puppet wars game swung it for me- the models are so crisp and detailed. Lynch was easy to put together although huggy needed lots of filling. While this was slightly irritating, at least he didn't have to be pinned and won chip every time I look at him.

Plastic also allows for a larger scale of model to be produced effectively: I love the melisma model but would never have bought it in Metal. Imagine avatar Hoffman- it simply wouldn't be doable. I overcame my phobia of metal models to play Malifaux, but as glad to be heading back to plastic :)

Start at consumer use maybe, work backwards? Personal choices for painting, gaming, that kind of thing, and run backwards into logistics. Seems a vaguely logical way.

The funny thing is, at this point in my life it isn't material that is the first thing that pops into my head when I plan out my miniatures purchases. I think about whether I will actually do anything with the model or if it will sit in a box for who knows how long. I have been collecting and gaming with toy soldiers for about 25 years now. I remember buying Grenadier and Ral Partha models in lead, and having to order GW blisters in sleeves of 12 from England. 12 blisters at a time, and you didn't know what you were going to get- true story, the gentleman that first taught me 2nd/3rd edition Warhammer ordered a sleeve of the original Slaan....and got 12 of the exact same blister!

Whoa....I am suddenly feeling very old....

I also have years of working in the industry under my belt, and anyone that works in the industry starts acquiring even more models. Now, I have boxes full of models, cases full of painted figures, I have more figures than I will ever paint/convert/whatever and I paint and model....a lot. I have them in lead, tin, plastic, resin, even a few odd ones in brass (no idea why they were made in brass...). I have a mess of models, even after selling boxes full of stuff around the time that I bought and moved into my current home.

There is a point here, it isn't all "blah blah I am old and have lots of toy soldiers". The consideration I have now is "where do I put all of this?". I suspect I share this affliction with others on this forum! When I used to live out East it got so bad I had a whole bedroom stacked with boxes of hobby stuff- and I had to walk through paths in the room. I downsized, and I periodically clean/repack/reorganize, but I am starting to get back to where I have to struggle to keep miniatures from taking over too many of the horizontal surfaces in my home!

Not exactly a materials answer, but a practical one. It is also why my wife can't go crazy buyinng holiday decorations and, if she buys a pair of new shoes I ask her if she is getting rid oof an old pair of shoes (she usually does). Lack of storage space sucks!

Edited by RagingRodian

The convenience and detail of plastic outweighs the difficulty of metal assembly for me. Unless something looks UG-LEEE in plastic and theres a metal alternative then I'm plastic all the way. Even resin/'res-tic' can be better than metal since it is easier to glue. (Just not GW Failca$t which is only now being acceptable, extortionate prices not withstanding)

I prefer putting together Plastics on the whole, but prefer picking up metal models.

I find metal is more durable than plastic in many ways, and when I do drop it, the metal either breaks at a join or just bends, the plastic breaks at a weak point. Plastic does chip paint less. It does also fall apart a little less, btu when it does go its more catastrophic.

Some of it is also storage and carrying, and it might well be the way they have chosen to pose the models, but my Metal Misaki is the only one that comes out to play now as the plastic one can't travel without the spear breaking (I do have to re-attach metal misakis arm and weapon on occasions, but that easier to do than try and fix the spear to look like it is still one piece. And Lilitus whip fits into my carry case (after some original bending), McCabe's doesn't, it just tends to break.

Plastic for me.

3. I don't have a workshop. I have a 4 year old and a bun in the oven. I don't like leaving metal shavings all over the house.

I've got a 5 year old one of whose favorite things in the world is watching daddy paint minis. From about three inches from what I'm working on. She doesn't quite 'get' the concept of personal space yet.

I'd pick resin if I could (I even paid a premium on a kickstarter recently to get my stuff in resin instead of metal), and would also pay a premium (though possibly less of one) for plastics.

I was a bit surprised that you are so fond of resin. For painting, you see master painters making masterpieces out of all three materials. Generally, I will give you that resin has the potential for excellent casts but it is very prone to miscasts and bubbling. I often find that I end up doing a mess of patching work on resins. You also have to wash resins before you do anything with them, and you have to be careful cleaning them because the dust produced is a carcinogen. Not to say that I haven't seen some good resin castings and models, but in my own experience resin tends to be the most expensive and most trouble to prep.

All bets are off with Failcast. There is nothing good that I can say about that stuff.

My resin experiences have been pretty good all round (got to love boutique manufacturers). I've found that I've typically had more gap filling, surface smoothing etc from metals (when there's multiple parts, of course). That said, despite my love for resin, I'll grant it's not always practical for large numbers of models (this kickstarter will be interesting to see the results of in resin, against the couple of metals that I'll have in the pile, and against my pile of Dropzone Commander prettiness). And it does cost a bit. Much as I love McVey studios stuff, it's not the cheapest in the world.

Dubious chemical dust should probably bother me, but working in a research lab means I'm exposed to far worse every day!

As they say, there are old chemists, and there are bold chemists. There are no old, bold chemists...

Master painters can make anything look good, the gits *grin*. As a painter (and knowing a lot of near-master level competitive painters) the model is the big decider. If it's nice and only in metal, then I'll accept it and get metal. If it needs to be balanced on something delicate, resin or plastic is better. I tent to prefer the more delicate, interestingly posed kind of model, so plastic and resin are easier to find that in. I also have an easier time getting the willpower up to prep resins and plastics than I do metals of equivalent quality, for whatever reason.

Finecast is... not resin. It's not really anything more than a joke, really.

Course, for a small company getting started, metals always provided the route to getting casting done without the cost of a casting machine up front. A friend of mine went straight to resin composite when he started, but he had the funds to lay out to get a caster to work with him in getting all the masters and moulds sorted.

Kind of a 'resin for boutique, metal for small/start ups, and plastics once you reach sufficient size' thing is how I view it.