New Forum Rules

Justin

Hey all,

Recently there has been a fair bit of tension on the boards. In the past we have taken a very hands off approach to moderation, but it has become clear that we need to get more involved to keep these boards as the friendly, helpful place which we want them to be.

This post is fair warning that we will be enforcing the rules a bit tighter. Making personal attacks, insults, and overly rude/condescending behavior will no longer be tolerated. We will be moving to a three strikes policy. If a post you make crosses a line, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from a moderator. After three warnings, an admin will take action (a temporary or permanent ban, depending on the situation).

This isn't to say that we are the thought police. A certain level of snark and rudeness are the norm in human interaction. You don't have to like each other, or even be nice. But there are posts which cross a line, and we will be coming down harder on them from here on out. Unfortunately, the line is subjective, but that's why we will be giving out warnings before anything else. If a moderator gives you a warning about one of your posts, don't take it personally. We all have different degrees of what we think is acceptable and sometimes tone does not read well in text format. A warning does not mean we are attacking you, it simply means we are reminding you of where the line is on this particular forum. Use it as a chance to step back and evaluate your posts.

The admins will be enforcing this, but we will also be appointing three moderators:

Rathnard

mythicFOX

Mako

The moderators are marked with the "Da Law" icon which is above my forum name.

As a final note, I just want to say that it doesn't matter what game you play. I don't care if you prefer 1.5 or 2.0, they're both great games. If I didn't love 1.5 I never would have taken this job and if I didn't love 2.0, I wouldn't have put so much work into it. I think it is perfectly reasonable to enjoy both systems. And, failing that, at least be polite to people who disagree with you. These new policies are not here to make everybody love Wyrd, they're here so that everyone who enjoys Malifaux (whatever version) will have a fun, accepting place to discuss the game they want to play. The way to combat vitriol is not to yell at it, but to ignore it and keep having fun and being polite. :)

Edited by Justin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Justin. This is a real privalidge for me and I couldn't ask for a better community of people to support.

So if i starts to whine over mythicFox always beats me on Vassel, will i get a warning from him ? :P

No it sounds great, sad that its necessary...

Hope it works out :)

Nope, but if he loses a game you might get a temporary ban *grin*

I couldn't possibly comment. *wink*

Edited by mythicFOX

Will objecting to posting in Pink be considered as a warnable offense?

This. Because I just skip all of his posts due to the horrid font color (pink on white is a very, very bad choice for readability) but now that he is a mod am I supposed to read what he posts in case it's a directive?

This. Because I just skip all of his posts due to the horrid font color (pink on white is a very, very bad choice for readability) but now that he is a mod am I supposed to read what he posts in case it's a directive?

Well how about this - whenever I put on my official moderator hat I'll post in super-serious black. If nothing else It'll make it easier to moderate from my mobile phone!

So this will be my last post:

Posting in pink is a crime against humanity.

(Good bye and thanks for all the fish!)

You're obviously quite new here, so I'll let you off with a warning. ;)

Edited by Rathnard

The only people that feel a need to claim not to be the thought police are the thought police.

Remove henchman cards too... no "thought censorship" there, right? For what people start thinking when those sorts of people make a post.

To my eye, the forums are the same as they have ever been. It seems to me like maybe some people here did not spend time in the rezzer forums in the days of calmdown and sandwich and they were put down.

The difference now is that more than a couple people are critical of Wyrd decisions, so NOW suddenly putting out your "thoughts" needs "moderation" by former peers whose only real difference to my eye is what side of the debate of recent Wyrd decisions they were on.

In my opinion there is no such thing as "thought police." As far as I know, Wyrd cultivates a nice healthy discourse. What we do have is a "Tone and politeness police" as there is a difference between

"I disagree on point X because of Y and here's what I think it should be." and

"WYRD IS STUPID OMFG#$%^&*%$#$%^&^%$#@$%^&*&^%$#$%^!!!!!! Your opinions are also stupid because you're a poopy face and unicorns deserve your unquestioned worship, HEATHENS BURN ON HIGH!!!! I am the ordained voice of THE GALACTIC CHURCH OF MULTICELLULAR EUKARYOTIC WOMBAT LOVERS AND THEREFORE AM IMMUNE TO NORMAL RULES OF SOCIETY! LOOOOOVE ME."

...ok that was too much fun to write.

I spent a lot of time on the rezzer forums during the days of Sandwich, I thought the guy had great thoughts and when they were well reasoned and discussed, it was a healthy discourse. When he started, in my opinion, whining incessantly and actively destructive because the game wasn't where he thought it should be, he become intolerable. Did the content (thoughts) of his posts change...not really. Did the tone? You bet.

Can't say I agree with your theory Gruesome but I will say this - I'll be coming down on anyone who makes a personal attack on someone else, regardless of what "side" they were on in the great M2E debate of 2013, or what they or their target might think of Wyrds business practices. The mandate I've been given is to keep things civil, not to comb the forums for "dissidents".