Pureblood 10T Problems

noob

Does anyone else have an insane itch to play solely 10T models? IE Misaki, archers, torakage, etc...

I own every main faction in Warmachine and Hordes (Pigs and Gators are the only factions I don't own a few hundred points in) but I am a Skorne player in Warmahordes first and foremost. With my lists, I don't run mercs or minions. Only Skorne. I don't care how much those models help my lists, I play Pureblood and I do very well. (this is relevant to the conversation, I swear)

I got back into Malifaux (was out for a few years, I still have the first rulebook and the initial Lady Justice solo model before she had a crew) and 10T caught my eye.

I bought the models I mentioned earlier and then began to notice all these dual faction masters and models. IE MeiFang is 10T and something else (arcanists I believe).

This makes me sad. I always take pride in sticking solely to my one faction (as far as the list goes) and now it seems to put me at an extreme handicap against other lists that are taking the best of two factions for perfect synergy. I am still winning most of my games with Misaki and her people but I can't deny the great things such as 10T Brothers (mercs) and Ronin and anything else I could use with Misaki. Then Yan-Lo sounds to be fricken amazing as does Mei Fang but they aren't straight 10T.

I caved and purchased some 10T Dual models/Crews and they are en route but I was just wondering if anyone else had that insane urge to play just one faction?

Also, I wish there was a composite list of what can be played with all of the 10T masters? It's confusing as hell (pardon my language) trying to figure out what can and can't be played with my people WITHOUT buying all of the books. It's not like it says who that model can play with on the back of the box when you go to buy it. -_- Any suggestions?

noob

I guess playing misaki with the Models mentioned in her profile can be seen as playing "sole faction" as they get the ten thundersfaction when hired by her. If you look at the other masters, you could play them as their other faction if you want to stay pure.

In the first few pages of the Ten Thunders book, there is a chart that gives an exact idea of who the 10T models can play with. Ten Thunders is a faction, just because Mei Feng is 10T/Arcanist, you can play her as solely 10T. So these models together count as a true 10T faction. Aside from either the mini rulebook or 1.5, I don't believe you would need Books 2 or 3 to run 10T, but you should pick up Book 4, Storm of Shadows.

edit: I just reread your post. I think you may struggle with a few 10T masters if you are not willing to hire allowed models just because they do not have the 10T designation. Misaki would be your best bet in this case, though she will at least want some 10T brothers and Oiran, who are dual faction Outcast/10T..

Edited by morella

Even though the non-misaki masters in the 10T are Dual Faction, this does not mean they get to cherry-pick from both their factions. You need to choose at the start of the game if Yan-Lo (for example) is being played as 10T or as Resser. He has a different set of hiring restrictions depending on which of those you pick.

I have made the choice to primarily play the 10T as its own faction, and have only played a couple games so far with the Dual-Faction masters from their non-native faction. While it is a nice option, I like seeing how they work as Ten Thunders.

When chosen as Ten Thunders there is certainly a limited set of models that can be hired for each master. I find that the 10T has its own feel, which is very diverse but still its own feel overall. That may not be everyone's experience, but it certainly is mine.

You asked for a list of what can be hired. I assume you are looking for what the "full faction" hiring pool would be, i.e what models do you need to buy to have all the faction choices for 10T. A list can be found in book 4 that (Storm of Shadows pg 37) but here it is more detailed:

• Ten Thunders Faction
    • Misaki
    • Jacob
    • Mei
    • Yan Lo
    • Lucas
    • Clockwork Traps
    • Wastrel
    • Toshiro
    • Yin
    • Kang
    • Rail Worker
    • Mr. Graves
    • Mr. Tannen
    • Ototo
    • 10T Archer
    • 10T Brother
    • Torakage
    • Yamaziko
    • Oiran

[*]Misaki Leading

• Shang (is 10T)
    • Desperate Mercenary (counts as 10T)
    • Hans (counts as 10T)
    • Ronin (counts as 10T)
    • Taelor (counts as 10T)

[*]Jacob Leading

• Huggy D (is 10T)
    • Sorrows (neverborn)
    • Stitched Together (neverborn)
    • Candy (neverborn)
    • Kade (neverborn)
    • Iggy (neverborn)
    • Beckoner (neverborn)
    • Depleted (neverborn)
    • Illuminated (neverborn)

[*]Mei Leading

• Emberling (is 10T)
    • Fire Gamin (arcanist)
    • Metal Gamin (arcanist)
    • Rail Golem (arcanist)
    • Willie (arcanist)

[*]Yan Lo Leading

• Soul Porter (is 10T)
    • Punk zombies (resurrectionist)
    • Onroyo (resurrectionist)
    • Ashigaru (resurrectionist)
    • Chikai (resurrectionist)

[*]McCabe Leading

• Lune (is 10T)
    • Riflemen (guild)
    • Pathfinder (guild)
    • Sirdar (guild)
    • Guild Guards (guild)
    • Guild Guard Captian (guild)
    • Guild hounds (guild)
    • Austringers (guild)
    • Drill Sergeant (guild)
    • Warden (guild)

Also, Toshiro allows any of the 10T masters to hire Ashigaru or Punk zombies at no additional cost.

Your problem is that 10 thunders is not a normal faction. It has spies all over the place, so all the models that you see as dual faction are 10 Thunder.

From reading the back stories it looks to me like Mei Feng, Lucas McCabe and Yo Lang are really 10 Thunder who pretend to be the other faction. Jacob Lynch is told what to do by everybody who has a hold on him.

Playing Yan lo isn't leaving the 10 Thunder path, as long as your faction is 10 thunder.

All the rules for 10 Thunder Models are in the 4th Book (storm of Shadows). (except the 10 Thunders brother, but he gets made 10 thunder in this book) It even contains a handy page summerising what models can be taken with what master.

As a rough Summery, each dual faction master can take all the models released this book for their faction. So Mei can bring along a Rail Golem even if she is playing as 10 Thunders. But Lucas Can't use the rail golem.

I had just researched a list, but it looked less organised than Nix.

Its not that complicated when you look at it in little bits, its just the way that a list for one will probably look different to any other masters list. Similar to outcasts in that way, but at least with some synergy between the leaders

Adran has a great point. When looking at my list above, the models listed under 10T at the top can always be hired by any of the masters when they are playing as Ten Thunders masters. This creates an interesting situation where you could declare Ten Thunders at the start of a tournament game and end up playing against the same master, but with entirely different crews.

While I do not think its the most effective, one possible combo crew is:

Ten Thunders Crew - 35 - Scrap

Misaki, Mistress of the Ten Thunders -- 5 Pool (pure 10t)

Shang [3ss] (pure 10T)

Ashigaru [4ss] (resser)

Oiran [4ss] (outcast/10T)

Punk Zombie [5ss] (resser)

Ten Thunders Archer [6ss] (pure 10T)

Toshiro, the Damiyo [8ss] (Resser/10T)

Wastrel [4ss] (guild/10T)

This is still a 10T crew.

10t are a wonderful and very different option.

It has its own very distinct feel when you play each of its masters as 10t masters. Duel Faction is a mechanic and the choices they have access to are highly fluff based while running as 10t.

Its truly not cherry picking or running a counter fluff lists, it is a faction from within other factions, the all seeing eye and backdoor deal that has inflitrated and is working to control malifaux from within.

Its a very different concept to most other factions in most other game systems. Nix's list helps illustrate it out.

But each of the masters plays very differently as a 10t than they do if you keep them in there alternative faction.

I'm also agree with Nix, I know big shock there, that 10t have a very distinct feel and flavor all there own and I have to say I like it quite a bit. Still a resser at heart but 10t is rapidly equalizing ground.

I thought about this over the weekend, and whilst I can't tell you how to think, I don't think you are fully aware of the situation.

Playing "Pure 10 Thunder" will handicap you. Just like playing "Pure Ortega" would.

But I personally don't find a flaw in using models that the rules allow me to use. I enjoy rules like Marcus allowign hiring of any beasts or Zoraida hiring low willpower minions. I don't see not using these special powers as feeling I am playing them in a more pure way.

Mind you I am also not really in the camp that will only field beast with Marcus because he is the beast master.

Dual Faction figures are an important part of the 10 Thunders, as can be seen from thier faction scheme requiring you to have them in play at the end of the game. So using a model with the 10 Thunder characteristic even if it is dual faction is not outside of what the Faction is trying to do. (again, this is in the 4th Book. I really recomend that if you are planning on playing 10 Thunders you look at this. and if you do play them buy this book.)

And the Dual Faction masters have quite different options when taken by either if the faction. Its not a case of them getting to draw from 2 factions worth of minions regardless of which faction you choose. Taken as their none 10 thunder faction they get the same choice as any normal master of that faction.

In this the ultimate judge is you. If you can't bring yourself to play a multi faction model, then I don't think 10 Thuders is the faction for you in the long term.

I would suggest looking at the thing with a fresh eye before you give up on them entirely, as they are the inflitrating group who has got fingers in every pie.