Jonas Albrecht

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they wanted the Factions to balance, they'd need to introduce:

To me, having the same number of options is not balance. Balance is where most options can be viable, and games come down to skill and a bit of luck rather than what faction you pick. I'm fine with outcasts having 2 special forces and all the other factions having one. Hell, most special forces could do with a lot more minions to flesh them out, the worst thing you could do at this stage would be to introduce a second, rival special force.

Anyway, in book 5:

- Some alternate avatars, maybe one per faction?

- Flesh out special forces. A couple of horrors, maybe a beatstick for the dolls, Some more guild stuff.

- Ten thunders having a few new minions... I'd like to see mounted cavalry, a cheap peasant warrior, some kind of shady underground criminal.

- Another gremlin master, making it competitively alright (Not so much viable, just not a complete walkover) to take just gremlins.

- Some versions of key minions from the fluff who've been "advanced". Use this to make once unplayable minions viable again. A better/different nekima, bishop etc.

To me, having the same number of options is not balance. Balance is where most options can be viable, and games come down to skill and a bit of luck rather than what faction you pick. I'm fine with outcasts having 2 special forces and all the other factions having one. Hell, most special forces could do with a lot more minions to flesh them out, the worst thing you could do at this stage would be to introduce a second, rival special force.

Agreed

Put me firmly in the "2.0 next" camp. My dream version of the Book 5 is one big book and one smaller book:

The main Book 5 would include-

• Revised Book 1 Masters and (where necessary) Minions. I like the notion of "experienced" models that keep the original cards playable. Firestorm Armada did this with their resculpts- they are Mk 2 ships with different stats.
  • Revised 2.0 rules, including a revision of Strategies and Schemes. Stuff like "Damage vs. Dg" and "what counts as Living?" need to be cleaned up. (Suggestion on the second one- remove the stuff about whether or not the model is Living from the other traits and just have a Living trait)
  • Add maybe 3 new models per faction. 2 Horrors or Molly-hireable Minions for the Ressers.
  • Fun new fluff as usual- perhaps a story contest for one or two slots in the book?

The second book would combine the Special Encounters and other optional rules- perhaps even a campaign and experience system. Again, all optional stuff that can be used to spice up the base game.

And if more than a handful of models are revised, free PDFs of their cards would be awesome, but I understand why that might not be in Wyrd's best interest. So if free PDFs aren't an option, I'd like to see faction "decks" of Most Recent Printing stat cards available in the Online Store.

I'd like the next book to be 2.0 and I've just bought all the books, but if 1.5 is pretty new then I'd expect 2.0 to be the sixth book, not the fifth. But whatever happens the game needs a to retain the focus and primacy of small scale infantry skirmishes. A big part of the draw is that you can play with 3-5 infantry models and it still feels like a real game. Increasing the required size of games or starting to put things like vehicles (or even worse, fliers) into it, or even lots of cavalry would IMO seriously reduce the appeal and attraction of the game.

• 3 months later...

I don't know why everyone is so keen on even more new models. They need to keep the game fresh and introducing new models is the easiest way to do that but after a while there will be too many per faction and many models will be very similar, I feel this is already happening for some minions. There needs to be new ways to use the current models. I'd like to see three new things:

1. Scenarios. I would like to see scenarios introduced possibly of battles in the fluff or new scenarios with narratives. It could be with either set masters or set models like in the total war PC games.

2. Official rules for more than 2 players. Deployment, schemes and strategies that may only work with 3-6 players would be a lot of fun and bring a new dimension to Malifaux.

3. Official campaign rules. Ideally a way of stringing several games together where each game has and effect on the following games.

Of course they will have to release more models, I read a post about remaking some of the current models in plastic and giving them new stats but calling them experience, ie 'experienced Nino' or 'Hardened Nino.I think basically I'd much rather see the game refined and metal replaced with more detailed plastics than see more completely new stuff come out.

I'm definitely of the mind that I'd rather have Malifaux 2.0 than lots of new models, but I do think some new ones are needed. Specifically, and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, I was disappointed to find that there was no 10T general totem. Which means that if I take Jakob as a 10T master, it's either Huggy or nothing.... Makes taking his special scheme as a 10T a lot more difficult.

I'm definitely of the mind that I'd rather have Malifaux 2.0 than lots of new models, but I do think some new ones are needed. Specifically, and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, I was disappointed to find that there was no 10T general totem. Which means that if I take Jakob as a 10T master, it's either Huggy or nothing.... Makes taking his special scheme as a 10T a lot more difficult.

A general 10T Totem would be nice. A 10T Effigy would be fun too. Maybe give it a targeted version of the Torakage's ninja vanish ability, even if it only affects friendly models. *bamf*

you do keep in mind that you can still summon huggy if you did not take him right away ?

you do keep in mind that you can still summon huggy if you did not take him right away ?

Of course, but with the scheme you can't take him and you have to have a straight of five cards at the end of a turn. So normally if I was taking it as a Neverborn master, I'd take either the arcane effigy or the Primordial Magic for the extra draw/cycling. But we can't do that as 10T, and I miss that a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see book 5 all about campaigning, along with some story packs (containing special minis for each story, like the scarecrow dude). I'd like it to contain not only a campaign but also a campaign generating system, so that we have the backbones to create our own as well, with rules to either contain Masters' powers and/or new generic henchmen (bonus if there's an optional rule for experience progression).

If this is not in book 5 PLEASE put it in the next Chronicle!!

I think special forces could be introduced too, but as part of the campaign system. They could be used as a catalyser for our old non-used dusty book 1 minions maybe with their skills ("catnip: this model gives hoarcat prides within 6" companion and positive flips on the Dg flips" for instance)?

If book 5 is just about new models I don't think I will get it (I didn't buy book 4), as I have enough crews as it is. If it's an alternative/campaign ruleset, it's auto-buy for me.

:)

EDIT: oh and it would be great if the story packs/campaign rules were accompanied by Terraclips booster packs containing special locations/elements to go hand in hand. That would be a very skilful game AND sales move I think.

Edited by poulpox

I would love to see book 5 all about campaigning, along with some story packs (containing special minis for each story, like the scarecrow dude). I'd like it to contain not only a campaign but also a campaign generating system, so that we have the backbones to create our own as well, with rules to either contain Masters' powers and/or new generic henchmen (bonus if there's an optional rule for experience progression).

If this is not in book 5 PLEASE put it in the next Chronicle!!

I think special forces could be introduced too, but as part of the campaign system. They could be used as a catalyser for our old non-used dusty book 1 minions maybe with their skills ("catnip: this model gives hoarcat prides within 6" companion and positive flips on the Dg flips" for instance)?

If book 5 is just about new models I don't think I will get it (I didn't buy book 4), as I have enough crews as it is. If it's an alternative/campaign ruleset, it's auto-buy for me.

:)

EDIT: oh and it would be great if the story packs/campaign rules were accompanied by Terraclips booster packs containing special locations/elements to go hand in hand. That would be a very skilful game AND sales move I think.

I'd like to see all of this too - especially a campaign/career mode for non master led crews.

If book 5 is the same as 4, which I skipped, then it'll be another pass for me.

I'd like to see all of this too - especially a campaign/career mode for non master led crews.

If book 5 is the same as 4, which I skipped, then it'll be another pass for me.

Would sooner let character progression etc be dealt with in the roleplay game personally.

But a bunch of campaigns and new strategies/schemes etc would be very welcome.....as would 'story encounter' packs ;)

What I'd really be interesting in seeing is an update on the Jack Daw situation. He's an extremely mysterious Minion, but he seems extremely important considering, among other things, killing him nets your opponent victory points.

I can see hanging form the highest branch of the Tree, witnessing everything that happens in Malifaux... I'm not asking to have the mystery solved, I'd just want him to be recognised as still existing :/

I would love to see book 5 have more minions. I feel like there is enough masters, for now, but some lack of hiring pools. As mentioned before, Molly is in need to get some more horrors. Maybe some more spirits. That would also allow for more special forces which would be AWESOME! :D

@Finnegan: I would love that! :D

Edited by RebeccaJo

We definitely need more horrors, and I would love to see an MS&U Asset totem.

I'd rather not see campaign rules as an "official"(read fully part of the rules, and thus tournament legal) part of Malifaux, but I wouldn't mind them as an optional variant in one of the chronicles.

Otherwise, I'd love to see new strats and schemes, especially more that don't require fighting (I'd love to see one that rewards you for having more enemy models on the table than friendly, for instance).

I think some more minions could be good, especially if they have abilities that change how you play a master.

+1 for new strats and schemes that reward some of the less combat prone masters.

Why not have a strat where your objective is to be outnumbered and still survive? Kind of the opposite of slaughter. vp based on how badly you are outnumbered. lol. Finally we would have an auto WIN against hamlin! lol.

Or what about some schemes that warrent the use of disengaging strikes? did your master survive more than 4 disengaging strikes? (yes) 1vp! were at least 2 against the opposing master? (yes) +1vp! you know, like a "counting coup" type of thing, where native american warriors would touch thier enemies with their hands or a stick to show that they could have killed them but chose not to. this would of course bring shame to the touched party. I think it would be a neat way to play.

i might see if someone will let me try this against them.

Why not have a strat where your objective is to be outnumbered and still survive? Kind of the opposite of slaughter. vp based on how badly you are outnumbered.

Because its entirely to easy to kill your own models. If I need to be outnumbered 4:1 to get max points I could just soul drain myself down to that level at the end of the game, all it would require me to do was to a) not get wiped out and B) not kill any of the enemy. Of course your opponent can do the same to stop you. You could do a game like that, but it would require a bit more setup and planning and might be better off as a dedicated scenario.

Although it would probably lead to higher 'stone models being hired in lower 'stone games. Levi hires a couple of Riders, sacks them via drain souls, and let's himself die with no waifs on the field. I win.

Because that's so much easier than kidnap, or sabatage with Collette.

I'd require that the master survive (on the opponent's side of the field) at the very least to make it a strategy.

Something like 2 points if the opponent has more than twice the number of significant models on the field as you. +1 if the master survives. + 1 if the master is on the opponents side of the field at the end of the game. It would be easy for some masters, but not more so than certain other strategies.