C. Hoffman; night terror hunter (a highly mobile core of pulsing death)

bashamer

That is right - both Mannequins should be linked to the "ride", and not to Hoffman. Linked models only move into B2B when the model they are linked to takes a Movement Action or at the end of its Activation. So with both Mannequins and Hoffman linked to the "ride", whenever the ride moves all three end in B2B, and you place the Mannequins on either side of Hoffman so that they are in B2B with him as well as the ride. Then the Mobile Toolkit completes the party by pushing into B2B with Hoffman.

Hoffman is then at Ca9 and doing 6Dg with his Open Circuit spell, which should gut just about anything that is not seriously armoured.

That is right - both Mannequins should be linked to the "ride", and not to Hoffman. Linked models only move into B2B when the model they are linked to takes a Movement Action or at the end of its Activation. So with both Mannequins and Hoffman linked to the "ride", whenever the ride moves all three end in B2B, and you place the Mannequins on either side of Hoffman so that they are in B2B with him as well as the ride. Then the Mobile Toolkit completes the party by pushing into B2B with Hoffman.

Hoffman is then at Ca9 and doing 6Dg with his Open Circuit spell, which should gut just about anything that is not seriously armoured.

Yes, I know. My description above was pretty short, but basically the second manequin would push in base contact with hoff at the end of his activation. Open circuit maximum damage is 5 with 3 or more constructs in base contact with hoffmand and he had that with one manequin, Peacekeeper and the Mobile toolkit. The second manequin only gives him +1 Ca.

We did made a mistake because my opponent said I couldn't link the two Manequins to the peacekeeper and that was why I linked one to Hoff, but we already checked this is wrong, and as you said it is better to link both to the Peacekeeper.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

How'd you kill the dreamer?

I pulsed twice, killing the Night Terrors and the Day Dream, then I Machine Puppet the peacekeeper to attack the Dreamer (no other nightmares around at this point) dealing severe damage + critical strike (7Dg), Dreamer would take 4Wd (as he is spirit), used a SS to prevent, but prevented only 1Wd. Dead.

The pulse trick will work once.

If you link to a doggy and just make melee attacks; that will work just fine as well. move 18" and make 3 attacks; it is something that guild is not exactly known for. And that idea only needs 1 performer.

Hell, you could even hit n run; dog + companion the master, move 18", hoffman machine puppets himself 3 times and activates the mannequin who moves back 8". you'll break the link, probably will still get the dog killed, but you are moving like a corphee duet and hitting like lady J.

Really there are a lot of things you can do using link; grab the treasure turn 2; destroy / plan some evidence.

Sure your warden can pull you 15"; but this can pull you 18" and then an other 8" after you activated.

A Warden (or Peace Keeper) could pull you 15", and pull you 15" back after a single pulse (subject to tapping power on the tool kit and a mask to Over ride edict... Let's your opponent activate between the Peace Keeper's (or warden's) second move but is doable with more standard models... This is good and fun, but I don't think it's going to replace my standard Hoffman lists...

Seven activations at 25 points isn't exactly a small crew.

Shrug when i play 11 models when I swarm the bats in 25 points.

My normal load up on them with kirai. I will have 6 models before I activate them and probably summon 1 to 2 more before they move. Others may play it different but for me my comment stands. Kirai+lost love+5 shisin+4 bats.

I'd never really put the pulse to use until I was in a 25ss game against a friend and my Peacekeeper (Hoffman's ride and pretty much the only dangerous thing on my side of the board, as I was testing out the Hunter as well, and wasn't impressed).

Sensing shenanigans looming, I fled with my toolkit and pair of watchers, which were then ambushed by Silurids. Not willing to go down without a fight, I went to work and obliterated one with a double pulse.

The space immediately around Hoffman was given a much greater berth after that.

Shrug when i play 11 models when I swarm the bats in 25 points.

My normal load up on them with kirai. I will have 6 models before I activate them and probably summon 1 to 2 more before they move. Others may play it different but for me my comment stands. Kirai+lost love+5 shisin+4 bats.

Depends on the master, the player, the objectives, etc. Try telling that to one of my local Rasputina players who hates playing less than 35ss because he ends up running like 4 figures.

Man loves his Snowstorm.

Edited by Forar

• 1 month later...

One of the guys at the club was game enough to let me try this crew against him in a 25ss game (Hoffman, 2xPerformer/Mannequin, Watcher and totem). He brung his Viks crew. By Turn 3 he only had Misaki left. I had lost one Performer, as she got caught in the 3" Open Circuit pulse. Brutal and, against most opponents, unfun, as there is not much most crews can do against it. Wait for key enemy models to activate and then fly 14" and kill everything within 3". Lather, rinse, repeat. Against Construct crews or Freikorps it is useless, of course, and anti-magic crews can put a serious dampener on it, but everyone else just dies.

I was going to take this list to a tourny, but have changed my mind now.

One of the guys at the club was game enough to let me try this crew against him in a 25ss game (Hoffman, 2xPerformer/Mannequin, Watcher and totem). He brung his Viks crew. By Turn 3 he only had Misaki left. I had lost one Performer, as she got caught in the 3" Open Circuit pulse. Brutal and, against most opponents, unfun, as there is not much most crews can do against it. Wait for key enemy models to activate and then fly 14" and kill everything within 3". Lather, rinse, repeat. Against Construct crews or Freikorps it is useless, of course, and anti-magic crews can put a serious dampener on it, but everyone else just dies.

I was going to take this list to a tourny, but have changed my mind now.

I thought The hoff couldn't hitch a ride on the watcher. They are only height 1, and he needs at least height 2

Hoffman Assimilates (0) Link and uses it Turn 1. The two Mannequins also link to the Watcher. The Totem follows Hoffman around anyway, so whenever the Watcher moves the whole Hoffman Flying Circus follows.

Since the Watcher is Ht 1 you can hide him out of LoS using Hoffman and the two Mannequins.

Sorry for the double post, but there's a local tournament soon and I'd like to run this list - can someone give me a rundown of how this does vs. various masters? I'm guessing it's not so great against masters that ignore pulses like Rasputina, but if a way around that exists then I'd love to know. The tournament is going to be 35 Soulstones, so what additions would you guys make to the 23 Soulstone core as well? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

if you run against Raspy and she ignores pulses you can just make melee attacks w/ Hoffman;

So vs Raspy; turn 1 link to a guild hound after copying link; link the mannequin to the hound as well.

First activation of turn 2; activate the hound, companion Hoffman, run 18" with the hound (or some silly number) and get Hoffman into melee range w/ Raspy; Hoffman goes, machine puppets 3 attacks vs Raspy.

Raspy should be dead, and you have a (0) to use.

and yes, this is worse than drawn to metal, but it allows you to use it on other modes, like a guild hound.

And chances are that your opponent will need 2 + activation to drop the mannequin giving you time to get Hoffman out.

So get in, get out, lose a hound and a mannequin.

So vs Raspy; turn 1 link to a guild hound after copying link; link the mannequin to the hound as well.

First activation of turn 2; activate the hound, companion Hoffman, run 18" with the hound (or some silly number) and get Hoffman into melee range w/ Raspy; Hoffman goes, machine puppets 3 attacks vs Raspy.

Raspy should be dead, and you have a (0) to use.

I will say this, I do not see this necessarily killing Raspy in just 3 attacks most of the time, that said I do see this being effective. With Soulstones I can see her surviving Hoffman's attack a decent number of times, just not necessarily coming off well from it. Even if you don't kill her you have put her in such a strait she might well be backpedaling and be scramping to just recover.

That all said, I do like this set up as it is a nice surprise, nice little tactic. 18" with a hound *you just need a second one to start next too* is a pretty nice range, and depending on the strategy it can even be used to complete those rather than an offensive tool.