Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

Nice conversion I really like that version of the Nightmare Teddy head.

You have managed to make both of those look amazingly diabolical. The one on the left looks like he is getting ready to do something extraodrinarily bad while the one on the right looks like he just got done doing something very bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally started working on the Dark Debts crew. My first step was to give the speed painting on the Wyrd forums a go with an Illuminated. I think I could have chosen a better model for that as I used black and white on this one and these color tend to need slightly more time to get them looking right. After one hour the mini looked like in the pic below:

speed_illuminated_2.jpg

I guess I'm not cut out for this kind of painting competitions as I had really hard time cutting corners on this one. In the end I kept on painting after the hour passed and some time later this came from under my brush:

illuminated1_2.jpg

illuminated1_3.jpg

illuminated1_4.jpg

It also glows in the dark - brilliance ladies and gentlemen :)

illuminated1_5.jpg

Even though my attempt at speed painting was a failure I still enjoyed the experience and it encouraged me to start making some more (slow but systematic) progress on my Malifaux backlog.

awesome job on the mini.. even if it took you longer than an hour. if it makes it any easier, I did some post Hooters on Speed touch ups on both my entries :)

also, new plastic models are not that good for speed painting contests. no sharp edges means a lot of possibilities for painters to express their skill but in an hour - it's tough.

I've painted Oiran and Fire Gamin and I must admit it was far far easier to do the metal ones faster...

but I digress, lovelly job again :)

That's just the seventh plastic mini from Wyrd that I've painted but it's already my favorite. Some really fantastic details on this one. Everyhing looks great, beginning with the pants and folded material there, nicely sculpted chest and face and ending with the monster thingy.

Putting it together was a bit of a challenge but all the parts fit together nicely. Not much to say really, just a great mini and I enjoyed painting it thoroughly.

post-8493-13911927319838_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911927320179_thumb.jpg

This one also glows in the dark

post-8493-13911927318956_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911927319277_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911927319574_thumb.jpg

dude... absolutely awesome. Great to see a demonstrati on of some ace painting on these models, google search doesnt show very many examples for Dark Debts!

Well done, I realise that the new plastics have a less edgy sculpt to them, much more subtle surfaces and you still made lots of shading possible. Clearly washing and being lazy like I do doesnt work, i've got some real work to do! :D

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated as always.

I knew that I had to do something special for the beastie and started building the blues from dark purple and finishing with very bright, almost white blue. Then it was just a matter of adding the glowing medium. It worked pretty well I guess as it's semi transparent and helped in getting the final touches a bit smoother.

Great paintjob! Do you have any tips for us novices how to train to become a better painter?

When I think back to the time I was starting in the hobby I spent a lot of time reading various step-by-step painting articles and following them to get the gist of basics - how to thin down the paint, drybrush, add varnish and so on. Another good idea is to find a local store that has painting station available and observe/discuss with other, more experienced painters. Nothing beats face to face contact in this case. Also, once you find a forum that you like, share pics of your work, get some constructive criticism and build your skills on that. I think Wyrd forum is a good place for that as there are many excellent painters here and in general people are very open to giving suggestions to those who are just starting in the hobby.

So I started working on the last of my Illuminated and while painting her I noticed that the gaps at the sides of her dress are clearly noticeable after some highlights. I thoughts I'd got rid of them but turns out that only black undercoat isn't that good for showing things like these.

post-8493-1391192738866_thumb.jpg

Lesson learnt.

Today I started by refilling the recesses with some more GS.

post-8493-13911927388799_thumb.jpg

Now while waiting for it to dry I thought that following the artwork while choosing the color scheme wasn't the best idea in this case as the dress is too close in shade to the hair. I think I'll repaint it. My first idea was dark purple but it just seems too easy and too obvious for the Neverborn. I'm actually considering dark red and dark green. Any suggestions?

post-8493-13911927388505_thumb.jpg