Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

I thought I'd start a new thread where I'll be posting pics of all my works. I've already posted pics of my earlier works but here's a quick summary of the Malifaux minis I've painted.

First off, my favorite minis from the range and the reason I became interested in Malifaux in the first place. I love the fluff and the models are amazing.

post-8493-13911924294739_thumb.jpg

Next, LJ in three versions (I have the avatar too but haven't painted it yet).

post-8493-13911924294339_thumb.jpg

Two Judges - I think I prefer the Nightmare version but the way his chain hangs around the mini makes it very hard for transport. I cut the chain off from the original version and use this one for gaming.

post-8493-13911924294014_thumb.jpg

The Executioner and Scales of Justice. I'll probably get the alternate version of the fiorst one as I really like the model despite its rather static pose. A more dynamic one would be a nice addition to my crew.

post-8493-1391192429366_thumb.jpg

And here's the lineup I used in my last game. I painted two Austringers as an addition to my slowly expanding force. More on that in the second post.

post-8493-13911924293064_thumb.jpg

I initially wanted to paint them following the color scheme from Wyrd's online store but in the end decided that black coats are reserved for DM. I chose a much brighter color for their dusters.

I really like these minis, great and dynamic sculpts, both full of character. I also like the idea for this unit as they're basically Falconers who use... Hawks for hunting. The word "Austringer" comes from old French. Kudos to Wyrd Games for taking the effort to came up with original names for the minis in their game.

I tried to imitate a very simplified hawk feather pattern instead of just drybrushing the whole surface of the wings.

post-8493-13911924295234_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911924295719_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911924296244_thumb.jpg

I made the rock on the base using a cork. The way the Austringer is placed on it made the mini bend backwards on uneven terrain so I bought a set of fishing weights and placed them in the front part f his base (both above (concealed by flock) and below it.

post-8493-13911924296732_thumb.jpg

No it stands still without any problems.

And last but not least - here's a family pic of all the Guild minis I've painted so far.

post-8493-13911924297035_thumb.jpg

I plan to expand them soo with Perdita Crew, A Guardian, Pale Rider, Guild Hounds and possibly a few more. But before I do that I plan to start working on my Dreamer Crew. I will be posting updates in this thread. C&C are welcome!

Edited by Viruk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a blast painting them. The sculpts are really great. They seemed a bit too small on a regular base so I added a chest/barrel. They also served as test models for bases that I'll be using for my Neverborn crews. Each of these took about an hour to paint so they were fairly quick paintjobs.

post-8493-13911924772486_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911924772776_thumb.jpg

While it's nice to make them more unique by preparing themed bases for each crew, I wanted to be able to mix them easily when preparing crews for gaming. Basing all of the minis from this faction on the same type of base gives me more versatility and it also means that whatever crew I come up with, it will always look more or less coherent.

As always, c&c are welcome!

Here's another Neverborn beast. One of my favorite sculpts in the range. The moment I saw him, I knew that sooner or later I was going to buy and paint it.

post-8493-1391192486624_thumb.jpg

I struggled a little with the fur. Normally while working on minis that have fur elements I tend to use drybrushing. I didn't work well here as the contrasts were too big and it looked as if it was randomly touched by a brush with bright color over the dark one. I repainted it, this time starting from a bright color (mix of GW Dheneb Stone and Reaper Khaki Shadow). This was only lightly drybrushed with Dheneb Stone. From that moment on I worked on making the fur look darker. I did that by applying several washes of AP Soft Tone (watered down) and Strong Tone in the recesses. I was tempted to paint "FREE HUGS" (read this idea somewhere on the Wyrd forums) but ended up painting a simplified tartan pattern.

post-8493-13911924866767_thumb.jpg

After that it was just a matter of painting its lovely happy face. I used much brighter green for the eyes. I know that this color doesn't fit the rest of the colors too well but I thought that an element of contrast here would make the Teddy look a bit crazier.

To finish things off, I wanted to add the blood effect. That was when Arlaharen's great article came in handy (check it out here). I added blood after varnishing the mini to male sure it looked fresh. Working with P3 inks using this method allowed me to get the effect I liked - realistic and gory.

post-8493-13911924867266_thumb.jpg

The only thing I don't like that much about Teddy is that he's quite flat when you look at it from the side. Other than that it's a fantastic, evil and twisted mini :Powerful_Puppet:

• 2 weeks later...

That's the song that immediately comes to my mind when I think about this master.

My second master that I want to start using - the Dreamer with his best friend, Lord Chompy.

post-8493-13911925085081_thumb.jpg
post-8493-13911925085425_thumb.jpg

I wanted to make LCB's skin look ugly and ancient. That's why I decided to highlight it this way, followed with several brown/flesh/purple glazes.
The Dreamer was more straightforward as I just wanted him to be much brighter and "cleaner" than the rest of his nightmares.I also wanted to give him a little twist and placed him on the front of his base, leaving more space for his shadow. His base is only 30mm so there isn't really much space. Still, I tried to paint a very simplified, as seen by a child, image of LCB there.

Here are two additional pics showing them from the bird's eye view.

post-8493-1391192508455_thumb.jpg
post-8493-13911925084845_thumb.jpg

And to finish things off, here are two Stitched together.

post-8493-13911925085849_thumb.jpg