Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

I don't like the Watcher, I mean you are right to give him some height, but half the height should be a pitch black rod or transparent plastic rod. As it is the pose is a snapshot in time seconds before the Watcher crashes and burns after clipping its wing on the pillar.

Its very good painting though.

@Bacms - I used Andrea Black set for the main part of the body and added some brown and Tallarn Flesh to their legs. The leather parts were painted with VGC Charred Brown and Dark Fleshtone with a touch of Vomit Brown.

@pixelante - I thought about it but I don't like the transparent rods that many people use for flying beasts or vehicles. De gustibus I guess ;)

Abuela is another sculpt from the range that I really like. Her face is particularly well sculpted with a gaze full of confidence malice.

Painting her was overall a nice experience but I needed to pay a lot of attention to flat surfaces while highlighting. I tend to keep the colors dark while I paint but I wanted to try some more vivid shades here to go well with what I think is a reference to Santa Muerte cult. So basically this is bright and vivid in my painting style.

Her face is the key element as it conveys all the emotions so I made sure to add a few well placed highlights there to make sure her facial expression is clearly visible. I'm pretty happy with how her skin tone tujrned out as I used only two paints and one wash there (VGC Heavy Skintone, P3 Ryn Flesh and Army painter Soft Tone).

post-8493-1391192857701_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911928576825_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Painting Santiago and Santana simultaneously made sense to me as they cannot be in game at the same time (animosity rule). What's more, it gave me a chance to compare the painting experience as Santiago is an old metal cast and Santana is a plastic one.

I've read some comments concerning loss of detail on the new plastic range and while I can agree to some degree (areas like legs or the hat could have used more texture), I cannot say that it's not an issue with the metal minis as well. Santiago's duster is a good example. Also, while Santana's face is hard to get to in the first place, painting it is a bit tricky (not much texture there again). However, painting Santiago's face wasn't a walk in the park too. Placing highlights there was a bit tricky (and gluing the arm with Peacebringer before painting didn't help too ;)

post-8493-1391192893135_thumb.jpg

I used Reaper paints for painting the duster and jacket. I'm more and more convinced that these are the paints for me. I love the triad system - any color you want comes in three shades that complement one another nicely so working on highlights using these is fast and easy.

I haven't painted jeans before but I knew that I want these to stand out among the rest of my Guild minis so I decided to use slightly brighter colors (it also goes better with the Mexican feel of the Ortegas). I don't know if I'm going to stick with this color scheme for the rest of the crew (Nino, Francisco, Papa Loco,Perdita) as this may make them look too uniform. Some food for thought I guess. Any suggestions ?:)

I made their bases similar on purpose. The zombie is part of the original miniature but I added a R.I.P. tombstone to both to tie them to the graveyard theme I use for my guild.

post-8493-13911928931645_thumb.jpg

Now my backlog list has officially changed to 19/36 (6 new minis are painted and I'll show them here soon once I have time to photograph all of them).

I agree completely with the Reaper Master Series Paints. They are some great paints.

I may actually end up purchasing the whole range. I've been thinking about picking one complete range for a while and Reaper seems the best choice for me as I love working with those that I have. There are some decent deals on ebay from time to time so once I'm done with the current commission I'll start looking for a good deal. Any suggestions where to look ?

Gritty. :+fate :+fate

What i really enjoyed were the details; the body hair on the executioner, the wood and stone textures, the beautiful feathers, and the well-done blood effects throughout.

Much as I loathe all things Lady J, this is awesome.

And another one...

post-8493-13911929047521_thumb.jpg

Painting him up was fun as he's much different than any other member of my Guild crew. I loosely followed the official paintjob. I chose to paint the loincloth using a more vivid green shade as he seemed a bit too dull so I used this color to liven up the palette.

More, bigger pics can be found on my blog.

post-8493-13911929047372_thumb.jpg

How do you count your painting backlog? o.O

Also, if you find a good deal for a whole Reaper range shipped to PL, let me know. I love their paints, they're some of the best I know. I have 3 sets coming from their KS but I still want more...

Edited by Pierzasty