What would you like to see for PW?

karn987

Very simple question I want to pose to everyone.

What would you like to see released for Puppet Wars in the future?

Go into as much detail as you like and go on for as long as you want! Discuss ideas and see what comes of it.

We are listening.... we are watching :D

Edited by karn987

I mainly want to see a steady flow of new puppets on a regular basis. Variety is the key to keeping a game alive.

Any clever distribuitng that allows you to get multiples of certain pawns without having to buy entire booster packs would be great.

I am also a fan of 3D blocking terrain and board props.

It is a fantastic game and the more I see of it, the more I like.

One word Karn...

Puppet Master Some'r (ok well maybe thats three but you get the picture, right?)

Aside from that:

1. 3-D impassable/ work bench markers (mocked up like furniture and such)
  2. Plastic tokens (ala Gale Force Nine, with the felt backings)
  3. Rules for random events (such as the cat runs off with your puppet)
  4. "Super" Teddy model (bigger, with lots of stiching and heart patches)
  5. More tie ins with the terraclips

Hows that for a start?

As a board gamer, I buy the base game and a few interesting expansions. Puppet Wars is looking like more of a LCG (or quite literally a Living Puppet Game :happypuppet1) or a miniatures game that just happens to have a board and less like a board game to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I bought everything available, but reality is I won't spend $80 on boosters every few months or even once a year.

Now, don't get me wrong, I bought everything available, but reality is I won't spend $80 on boosters every few months or even once a year.

Ah but I bet you would spend $32.00 every few months keeping the game "fresh".

This is how my Carcassone/ Alhambra/ Settlers of Catan addictions started.

I said interesting expansions. Carcassone has IMO 2 maybe 3 good ones. I think Puppet Wars is a fun game, but there are plenty of board games to pick from each game night and it isn't going to be coming up often enough to merit, from your example, ~$100 a year. I'm lucky to play my favorite game once every few months. There are just too many awesome games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dbpoe (I take pride in the games I own. I do a lot of research. I tend to rate them a bit higher than I should sometimes, but I'm not a total board game snob :powerfulpuppet )

My point in even saying this is, whatever expansions come up, they should affect the game in interesting ways. Booster packs are fine. Some people will buy them, some will not. But if Puppet Wars is being marketed as part board game, part miniatures game, then all expansions shouldn't just be puppets- that just satisfies the miniatures crowd.

What I, as a board gamer, would like to see:

Alternative scoring. Victory points- puppets killed, workbenches taken, killing with master, master killed, etc...

5/6 player board. Sometimes game night has more than four people.

Event cards- now sometimes these detract from a game, but often they add a whole layer of fun/strategy. "x is going to happen"- then I better damn well change my strategy this turn. Lets use some of those extra key words-

"Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes, all 'Family' puppets move +1"

INCLUDE these kind of things and rules with a booster, why just 8 puppets? Why not a little more?

Now is there anything IMO bad about this game? Not a damn thing. It is fine as is. I am perfectly happy as is. But I would be way more inclined to buy future expansions if they included board game stuff with them.

I would like to see some new puppets that doesnt exist in Malifaux yet.

Right now Puppet Wars feels more like a lite version of Malifaux (same models, just less. the card system instead of dices, and some of the rules are equal too). That isnt a bad thing, but i think it would be nice for the players of both games. PW would get something new that Malifaux doesnt have yet, and the Malifaux community would get a spoiler of what is coming next.

The idea of an event deck that Doctor Lucky mentioned is a great one. I wouldnt mind if that would make the game a little bit in-balanced. It should just be a funny addition to improve the varity of PW.

Some shoebox-faction-booster would be nice too. Like the boxes from Malifaux. That helps new players to get into PW without spending lots of money for the base game. Put in a Master, 1-2 Sidekicks, and 4 frequently used factiion pawns.

Some new game elements:

- Teleporter Tokens

- Direction Tokens which move ur puppets at the end of the turn

- Random Tokens with positiv or negativ effects (traps, heal, movement effects, torn apart, new toy found, ...)

- co-op scenarios: 2-3 players against a boss puppet player

- interactive terrain: doors, destroyable impassible terrain, first aid stations

- hostile npc puppets or critters (automatic movement or decided by a card flip)

- a bigger game board for larger games

- strategies and schemes like Malifaux

- rules for starting with upgrades in your scrap heap

The possibilities are endless

Well I got to admit most of the stuff I dreamt up is allready in there.

I second the "3D Token set" for one, that would look great!

More Puppets (offcourse!).

Special Puppet-Wars puppets unseen in Malifaux (but based off still).

And now for an idea I havent read about yet (could be me just skimming and not actually reading every post thoroughly). Anyway here is my idea:

Modular terrain boards! I was looking at a "campaign toolset" from "The British Evil Games Marketing Empire that shall remain anounymous" and thought those would work for P-Wars also!

Simple Hex Grids that can be "clicked" together to make Maps for more or less players. Also that would quite nicely work with the 3D terrain suggestions. Like Being able to click/pin on terrain as fits.

Lots of good ideas people!

I can say with certainty that we will be expanding upon the space/terrain types in the game as we move forward. What they will be... well I can't tell you that yet :D The same is very likely to happen with the boards.

There will be lots more scenario options as the game grows. I think we have a really solid core set of rules and we are very excited to see where we can take these and what we can do with them.

Keep the ideas flowing! I'm sure there are more out there and I'm asking because we are willing to listen :)

If someone has already put up your idea, put it up anyway. Nothing says they all have to be original, show support for ones you like and let us know what you'd like to see coming out in the future.

Edited by karn987

I like several of the ideas mentioned.

Of course the larger board for bigger games and the 3D terrain, which both seem to be in the works. I also agree that there could be more terrain. Maybe a sewing machine to sew up stitches, or a scrap pile that can be used as a stock pile of spare parts. I'm thinking maybe as part of building a toy box, players can select things they want to throw in as spare parts and this scrap pile acts as a resource depot for all those parts. So, whoever can get to that space on the board and control it will have access to all these resources...I know this would keep me from having to bring one our two puppets just to tear apart with what pretty buttons, and it would make for another part on the board that would turn into an all out kill zone).

I also like the idea of an event deck. I can see it being an add on after the 5 turns in a round, right before the drawing up and lonely master stuff. Flip a card and something crazy happens (some good, some bad, something fun?). This sort of system could also be used as a sort of co-op game, where players work together to escape Zoridia's hut. So similar play style as regular except you killing whatever Zoridia throws at you, and then throw in a flip of an event card between every turn or something (although this may get confusing or require a Zoridia booster pack that has the models needed for all these events).

And more puppets are always welcome!

The event deck would be really cool if themed around someone. Like a Zoridia event deck.

Cards would tell little stories like Zoridia looking for something around the house. Meaning puppets would need to keep clear of a few random spaces on the board not to be seen while she is searching for something.

Or her cleaning house and sweeping the floor with the giant broom 'o death to cross the board for all puppets out in the open to get ripped from etc. really

Those idea´s really caught my imagination ±D

Edited by Brence

How about individual fig sales?,.. as opposed to the "box sets". I mean, what if I want to field a bunch of the teddies? How many box sets would I have to buy in order to get a full crew of them? If I could buy them individually,... that would rock.

In my case specifically,.. I would like to get 3 of them to proxy as daydreams for my dreamer crew. But alas,.. no individual sales of them. (At least,.. not that I've seen)

How about individual fig sales?,.. as opposed to the "box sets". I mean, what if I want to field a bunch of the teddies? How many box sets would I have to buy in order to get a full crew of them? If I could buy them individually,... that would rock.

In my case specifically,.. I would like to get 3 of them to proxy as daydreams for my dreamer crew. But alas,.. no individual sales of them. (At least,.. not that I've seen)

The idea was to keep the SKU count low to put it in the boardgame category, instead of the miniatures game category for most store owners. Wyrd has said in the past that this will not change.

Teddies are Limited Edition models as it is, I don't expect they'll ever get sold individually like that.

And now for an idea I havent read about yet (could be me just skimming and not actually reading every post thoroughly). Anyway here is my idea:

Modular terrain boards! I was looking at a "campaign toolset" from "The British Evil Games Marketing Empire that shall remain anounymous" and thought those would work for P-Wars also!

Simple Hex Grids that can be "clicked" together to make Maps for more or less players. Also that would quite nicely work with the 3D terrain suggestions. Like Being able to click/pin on terrain as fits.

You mean like Terraclips (rules for their inclusion can be found in the base game).

I mean, what if I want to field a bunch of the teddies? How many box sets would I have to buy in order to get a full crew of them? If I could buy them individually,... that would rock.

They uh were offered in a bulk set (all 5 teddy varieties) during the Black Friday Sale (I got two myself). I would expect to see them again at some time in the future (since they were really popular).

I am definately not for individual puppet sales, I think intelligent future Pawn booster releases is a better way to go.

More puppets would be nice, but that is just more to paint and I'm still working on my first 50+ puppets. I am more for the accessories ideas than the more puppets ideas. Although a special puppet (see my moving terrain comment below) would be cool.

I like the event card idea.

Maybe a moving piece of terrain (floating swamp gas bubble or crystal ball?) that moves around the board after each activation round to give some benefit or hindrance. It would be easy to do a random direction (hex board has six directions, cards have thirteen numbers, two numbers move in one direction and the number seven doesn't move) and a random number of spaces (like damage in Malifaux).

Another favorite is different boards and token pieces. The original is a bit dark and I will eventually do my own board, but if I were to run an event, getting several extra boards would be nice.

Maybe a moving piece of terrain (floating swamp gas bubble or crystal ball?) that moves around the board after each activation round to give some benefit or hindrance. It would be easy to do a random direction (hex board has six directions, cards have thirteen numbers, two numbers move in one direction and the number seven doesn't move) and a random number of spaces (like damage in Malifaux).

I have a couple of ideas about that too...

Ok.. I would love to see a relpacement set for all the paper tokens to plastic with verbal desciptors (I am old and my eyes are going.. they are very hard to read.. just me..) and separate effect and counter tokens to denote permanent effects.

Not to steal an idea from another game but I played Heroscape forever and they had effect markers on the board that possesion of (having a figure on the marker) did various things.. all puppets gain +1 def, combat, move.. sew up the puppet that lands on the marker first.. etc. You get the idea. Would make for major combat areas.

I am also tempted by different board configurations. I like the base board but find it kind of bland though with larger boards comes other issues of gameplay as this is meant to really get in close and duke it out.

Some scenario driven type games might also be interesting adding some diversity to the game (especially for multiplayer.. team based options would be nice) i.e. assault/defend point A on the board and capture/defend it in/for X turns to win.

Expansion wise I agree with the themed box release idea. Inidividual puppets would be cool but we know that isnt happening. Another option might be to 'build a box' to mix and match a custom pack of individual puppets but I guess that technically is individual sales. I would like to see new masters maybe more than new pawns personally.

The event deck concept also sounds interesting with different positive and negative effects for a turn with a new card flipped every trun not round.

Edited by Caamora

Most of my thoughts have been said but I will add a vote to them:

- Better/3d terrain bits

- Better, easier to read, more durable effect tokens

- A larger board + rules + masters + sidekicks for a 5-6 player game

- Themed booster boxes. Being able to buy 1 box that has a master I want + 2 henchmen + pawns that work well for the box could help get people into the game for cheaper. Could also help with the constant complaining about no singles.

The idea was to keep the SKU count low to put it in the boardgame category, instead of the miniatures game category for most store owners. Wyrd has said in the past that this will not change.

Teddies are Limited Edition models as it is, I don't expect they'll ever get sold individually like that.

I know,.. but a man can dream can't he???

Well,.. if I can't have my first idea,.. how about my second?? How about some new crews, unique to the Puppet Wars universe? I'll start the bidding with three simple words,...

Flying. Ninja. Monkeys.

'Nuff said,...

• 1 month later...

I will start off by saying that I am a little biased in my opinion, but I have been waiting for a game like Puppet Wars to come out for a very long time. I don't know anyone that has watched Star Wars and seen the chess scene and not gone "wow, that would be cool!" Puppet Wars is like Malifaux chess. Everything may start out on Zoraida's workbench, but thematically I don't think it is a huge step that the citizens of Malifaux would embrace a board game about fighting puppets. For many, the masters of Malifaux are already seen as kings and queens and their henchmen as pawns. I digress, but my overall point and the point of my suggestions, is that Malifaux is a great world and where a lot of things fit and as such, I would really like to see Wyrd embrace some cross promotion of games.

With that premise, here are things I would love to see:

1. More Puppets: The themes, art, and mechanics are already done in Malifaux. It would be crazy to not work them into Puppet Wars. Plus, people initially are going to want to take their favorite Malifaux crew into Puppet wars and vise versa. Besides, more puppets equal more options and more options equal more fun.

2. Puppet Theme Boxes: As a miniature game, people are going to want to customize what they play with. Other people have hit it right on the head. Theme boxes would allow people to get the extras they want and lower the start up cost for a new player. I will state it again, initally people are going to want to see a translation of their Malifaux crew. There is no reason not to promote that until players learn the benefits of drawing from all the puppets. Starting with a theme box provides those fun moments where a new player can go up against something they don't have and if they like it, go an buy that theme box.

3. 3D Terrain, Modular Boards, Bigger Hexes: The benifits of 3D terrain has already been talked about, they look great and alot of people (like myself) have looked into building their own. I'd also love to see some other terrian types. Modular boards promote innovation, as sizes and shapes of the game can be changed. Bigger hexes promote 3D terrain and modular systems, but they also have the benefit of cross promotion. Bigger hexes mean bigger models will fit into them, which means Malifaux models will fit. Now a new or experienced Malifaux player can take his crew directly into a game of Puppet Wars. It is a lot easier to justify some extra purchases for your Puppet War game or you Malifaux crew if it can pull extra duty. It is also a lot easier to sucked into buying another batch of modles :-) For the people that have been looking to a solution for individual models, you have it while not needing to increase your SKU numbers.

4. Schemes of Event Deck: One of the greatest things Wyrd did is came up with games that promoted something other than kill your opponent until they are dead. Adding schemes to Puppet Wars adds a lot of depth to the game and promotes some of the best mechanics of Wyrd's other game. Puppet Wars can do a lot as a gateway game into Malifaux mechanics. The opposite can be said of Malifaux being a gateway into Puppet Wars. The idea being that you already have card draw combat, why not include objective/scheme based things to make transitioning between the games more seemless.

5. Promotion of Variant Game Types: While my other suggestions have purposefully been to cross promote Puppet Wars with Malifaux, it is the ability to adopt different game modes that Puppet Wars shines and truely differentiates itself. The mechanics of the scrap pile, workbench spawn points, playing on a game board, all really lend themselves to innovation and adoption of other games that make use of these mechanics. Some examples being:

a) Capture the Flag: Grab a marker and run it back to a base. Infinite spawns, workbenches work as spawn points. (Inspired by WoW battle grounds)

B)Take and hold: Similar to Capture the Flag but based on turns you can control an objective(s) getting you points

c) DOTA / League of Legends Inspired: Any model killed drops stuffing counters which can be picked up by models. All models get the ability to use their action to teleport back to a workbench and turn in their stuffing counters for upgrades. Once a workbench is taken, it is destroyed. When all of an opponents workbenches are destroyed the game ends. Maybe toss in some random neutral puppets that drop buffs or can be killed for extra stuffing.

d) Puppet Ball / Football / Soccer: Similar to capture the flag, but with rules for throwing/passing the counter. Heck, with a couple of quick rules you could have a game that could compare to Bloodbowl. Require a certian number of puppets on the "line." Any puppet reduced to zero stitches is "knocked down" and can't do anything until healed. All puppets heal back to full at the end of a turn. Maybe include rules that you can spend a stitch to disengage or a stitch to move an additional square.

e) PvE: I would love to see some rule about Puppet vs. Environment games. Very funny idea about a bunch of puppets fighting a Cat or a Rat.

In the end, the sum of these ideas is to get some sort of official promotion of a game type that the community could potentially go nuts with.

I think this sums up a lot of my most immediate ideas. I'm sure I'll add more as I come up with them. Sorry about the wall of text.