Kaled's Malifaux crews

Kaled

The whole Kirai crew looks fantastic - especially the lost love - but Killjoy is the real stand out for me. Probably because I don't really like the new sculpt but you've made it look incredible! I would happily buy one based on that paint-job, although unfortunately I wouldn't ever manage to get it looking as good.

Thanks for all of the kind comments. :)

I knew I wanted Killjoy for my Tara crew gameplay-wise, but I wasn't too keen on either the old model or the new artwork. I spent ages trying to decide how to paint him and while looking around for inspiration for warpaint I was suddenly hit with the idea to paint him like an Uruk-hai with crude white hand warpaint - it seemed much more interesting than the grey skin I had been planning and the mental image meant that the new model was suddenly a whole lot more appealing.

I've only used him in one game so far - and he got killed in turn two by Perdita. :( Hopefully next time he'll last a bit longer...

Wow... just wow! Incredible work! Your Kirai crew is really inspiring and Killjoy is fantastic, a really original idea there. What else have you got in the works? I'd love to see more. 

How did it go again.. Patience is a virtue? :P

What else have you got in the works? I'd love to see more.

Next on my painting table are some Guild Autopsies. I that think once they're done there are no more metal Malifaux models that I plan to add to my collection, except possibly a couple of the Avatars - I've been deliberately concentrating on the metal miniatures while I can still get hold of them.

Then I plan to paint a boxed set of Citadel Orcs that I got about 20 years ago and which have never had a good paint job, but after that I'll probably return to Malifaux and do a Yan Lo crew to round out my collection of Reserrectionists...

• 8 months later...
Afternoon all,

I finished my Leveticus crew yesterday and thought I'd share a few pics.  I'd never been that keen on Levi, but I really enjoyed his story in the Crossroads book and it inspired me to buy his crew.

Leveticus is probably the most boring model in his crew - I didn't much like the metal version either...
leviticus_zpsfzjjst01.jpg

On the other hand, Rusty Alyce is my favourite member of the crew.  I converted her a little to give her a tartan skirt as worn by both the metal and puppet versions of the character.
rusty_alyce_zpswv5637d1.jpg

Then there's the Hollow Waifs...
hollow_waifs_zpsgtjjqhkm.jpg

Next is a Ronin who didn't fit in my Tara crew so has joined Leveticus instead.
ronin_3_zps71l5h0jf.jpg

Then there's the Abominations.  I ended up buying both metals and plastics and I think they work well together.
abominations_01_zpscbwqvphb.jpg

abominations_03_zpsdyfei5hm.jpg

And finally, the Desolation Engine.  I really dislike the plastic version and finding a metal one took ages, but I think it was worth the time it took to track him down...
desolation_engine_zpswyx9szxb.jpg

Comments, questions and criticisms are welcomed.

- Dave
  • Like 9

Huh - looks like I forgot to post pictures of the last set of models I worked on...

There's some Guild Autopsies and Izamu the Armour for my Resurrectionist crews;guild_autopsies_zps2d864eb2.jpg

izamu_zpsbaf82c87.jpg

And Avatar Zoraida and McTavish for the Neverborn (well, McTavish is actually a Gremlin model, but Zoraida can hire him);avatar_zoraida_zpsec97153e.jpg

mctavish_zpsf27be034.jpg
  • Like 8

I like the McTavish and it is nice to see as I am currently working on and off on mine.  I cut out the base and sunk it so I could have him in muddy water but I cannot do the resin till I finish painting.  Been struggling for inspiration and this is good.

Question about the Armor, did you paint the bluish glow in the face area or did you insert something in there with that effect?  Looks good either way but was curious.

Thanks. The glow is just painted - it looks fine in the photo, but I think it works better viewed from a lower angle.

So your McTavish is actually standing in the water? That sounds cool. I'm about to start work on some Batman miniatures and might do one of the Penguin's thugs standing in water...

Love your abominations the most and the Alyce skirt conversion made me think I could do the same on my Alyce to give her a similar vibe as the old one had. Your Leveticus crew is the best one I've seen so far.

I hope you'll have a painted Molly crew along the way since that's the crew I'm currently painting and I'm interested in seeing how you'd do it. Taras crew and your Killjoy are one of the reasons I got me interested in Taras crew.

• Like 1

So your McTavish is actually standing in the water? That sounds cool. I'm about to start work on some Batman miniatures and might do one of the Penguin's thugs standing in water...

He will be.  I cut the inner section of the base out and put in a bottom that is level with the bottom of the base.  Once it is all painted I will mix some clear resin with half a drop of green and brown ink to create the 'color' and then pour it in.  I already have a sunken skull, log, and some other stuff on the bottom to give it features.  The resin will fill up to ankle roughly so he he will be standing in the swamp.  I did the same with three converted Silurids I made as I did not like the original metal onces.  Going to do the same thing with my plastic silurids when I get them all painted too.

• Like 1

Linus - I have a Molly crew already, but it's the metal one - I doubt I'll replace it with the plastic crew - although I do like the art for Philip and his Nanny and am tempted to get that model...

EternalVoid - I've used the resin on bases before (there's some on both McTavish and AZoraida's bases, it just doesn't show up well in the photos), but I remember now why I haven't done a person actually in the water. The resin I use sets level and doesn't really work for water that's in motion as if someone was walking through it. Have you ever tried using resin to get effects such as splashes and waves?

I have three things to work with for surface water actually.  The first is Water Effect by Woodland Scenic.  It has a semi toothpaste like material that is spreadable.  The other is Vallejo extra heavy gel which is a similar material.  And the last is Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel which is similar as well.  All three, applied in a thin later dry clear but as you can scuplt it a bit *I generally use a toothpick or popcicle stick* you can create ripples and uneasy surface like the water is shifting.  If I am doing it with something like my McTavish base I will put down the normal resin with the coloring in it first and that will set firm.  Then I put a very thin layer of one of these on top to create the surface.  As they are clear they will appear to be the same color as the lower resin but not as colored.  Also any bit that stick up like a drop or such look fairly clear like it would if something had broke the surface.

Each of the three dry a little different so I would generally pick one depending what I wanted the surface to look like.  Been a while so I don't know where my handy reminder sheets are.  I had some plastic cards I put some of each on to remind me what each looked like.  Might have to figure out where I put those for McTavish.

• Like 1

Well I did not find my better references but I did find two cards I used for my initial tests of the Vallejo heavy gel, vallejo Black Lava, Vallejo grey pumice, and the Liquitex heavy gel.

Taking a look at the cards the Vallejo heavy gel, once dried, had a more choppy effect.  More broken up and uneven while not being rough.  It is also not as smooth in the jar as the Liquitex is.  The liquitex reduced thinner and ended up being smoother, reminding me more thicker paint in some regards.  Would not be bad for a lake or pond I think but you have to make sure the coat is level.  In turn the Vallejo looks better for disturbed water and rivers I think.

As for the Scenic Woodland, it is more for building up, as it is thicker than either.  So if you want to have a splash effect around a foot as if they were running through the water I would use that stuff to build it up bit by bit.

• Like 1