Things I Hate About Malifaux

Kael Hate

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike people who moan about Hamlin he is only misunderstood and just needs a hug

A hug and the biggest shots of penicillin a pair of Nurses can deliver. :P

:drew :drew

Pre-measuring / TerraClips having measurements on them, well, the folks here at Wyrd have stated that measuring shouldn't be a necessary skill for playing, so maybe pre-measuring should be allowable. Although, there are always ways to determine range, like was already mentioned. If I go to measure the range of an aura or measure melee ranges, we can find out other ranges. Is it cheating? *shrugs* It all depends on perspective, I guess. I know I've wasted quite a few AP thinking I was out of range, moving up just in case, then finding out that now I'm not only well within range, but I'm just a short walk from my opponent's models to boot. If they waste the movement to move up to my models, measure to hit, and I now know that I'm in range to return fire, well, that's certainly not my fault.

The fact I bought a new Von Schill box a few weeks ago and it came with V1 cards is an annoyance. As theres no download available and I'm unwilling to pay & ship new cards from America, not much can be done about it.

Snow Storm had an edit and V2 card, so I think theres probably V2 for other book 2 minis.

Anyone know if there a definitive list or something?

There are only V2 cards for the models in the PDF's listed on the right side of the forum.

You mean is there a list like the one on the malifaux website?

There may just be...

http://malifaux.com/Fixes.php

This link is where you can find any differences between the book and the subsequent cards release as well as any errata that has come up for any of the models stats and/or rules.

The fact that balance in the game relies on building a crew ependent on your objective and opponent's faction riles me.

I like Sonnia. I want to play Sonnia...but playing against my main opponent's Neverborn has felt like bringing a knife to an Artillery bombardment. I've never felt competitive in the slightest.

In short: I hate that the rules don't really let me play what I want to play.

Also, I hate Neverborn.

The fact that balance in the game relies on building a crew dependent on your objective and opponent's faction riles me.

This is a feature that I love. It doesn't unbalance the game, but it does mean each player has to think about what crew to select for each game rather than just picking a 'winning' crew for all games.

I hate the faction to faction balance. I think that in a properly balanced game, any master/crew should be able to beat any other one, even if there are significant dificulty differences, and right now, I'm not sure I can say that.

I also hate models with faces turned into very high collars. it's so much more dificult to paint them, and they tend to look a bit distorted from the mold itself.

Other than that, the game is awesome.

This is a feature that I love. It doesn't unbalance the game, but it does mean each player has to think about what crew to select for each game rather than just picking a 'winning' crew for all games.

this is one that chafes, alot.

makes the game a hard sell when a player asks about the viability of a list and you have to tell them they need to own all the models for their faction if they want to roll with the big dogs...

it scares away a lot of casual players who like to have a chance whenever they set down on the table, without having to make a major investment...

I hate the faction to faction balance. I think that in a properly balanced game, any master/crew should be able to beat any other one, even if there are significant dificulty differences, and right now, I'm not sure I can say that.

Just out of interest, which faction can't win?

makes the game a hard sell when a player asks about the viability of a list and you have to tell them they need to own all the models for their faction if they want to roll with the big dogs...

it scares away a lot of casual players who like to have a chance whenever they set down on the table, without having to make a major investment...

Hardly. If someone told me I could only have 15 models for my Marcus crew I'd shrug and say OK. I have about 80ish because I'm a completionist and like having lots of toys, doesn't mean I have to have a full factions worth to be competitive, merely i have to have the competitive toys.

this is one that chafes, alot.

This is much less of a problem when you already own most of the models for a faction.

I love the faction to faction balance, but I can see the negatives it brings.

I hate trying to remember how many + and - flips are generated by the difference in cards. This is compounded by the fact that I play mostly late at night, and the later it becomes the more my basic math skills leave my brain.

Turn 1: "My combat is 6 and I flipped a 7, thats like 12 right?" "No, 13." "really?"

Turn 2: "My combat is a 6 and I flipped a 7, thats like 15 right? "13" "Did we just have this conversation?"

Turn 3: "My combat is a 6 and I flipped a 7, what did I get?

This is followed closely by "13 is 5 higher than 8, so how many cards do I flip now?"

Just out of interest, which faction can't win?

he didn't say faction, he said master.

the "faction balance"

as opposed to "master balance"

it's a big thing in 'faux... that the Masters are not balanced, but the factions as a whole are...

this is back to the "if you want to play the game at a tourney level, by standard tournament rules, you have to roll ALL the models...

Hardly. If someone told me I could only have 15 models for my Marcus crew I'd shrug and say OK. I have about 80ish because I'm a completionist and like having lots of toys, doesn't mean I have to have a full factions worth to be competitive, merely i have to have the competitive toys.

how is this a good thing?

it's almost as bad as "roadblocks to getting newbies into the game don't matter 'cause I own all I want..."

just because YOU will buy everything, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

but whatever. Wyrd obviously doesn't see it as a problem either... (quite the opposite, by pushing that mentality they improve their sales... can't fault them that...)

he didn't say faction, he said master.

the "faction balance"

as opposed to "master balance"

it's a big thing in 'faux... that the Masters are not balanced, but the factions as a whole are...

He did say faction in his first sentence, but go on then, which masters can't win? I agree it's not balanced but no wargame ever will be, but every master has a very good chance

this is back to the "if you want to play the game at a tourney level, by standard tournament rules, you have to roll ALL the models...

Hardly. As said, you could give me any master, and a core of models and I'd be as confident of winning as going up against someone with all of my arcanist models that I took to the GT.

how is this a good thing?

it's almost as bad as "roadblocks to getting newbies into the game don't matter 'cause I own all I want..."

just because YOU will buy everything, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Because as I said, I don't need to own everything. I took about 80 models to the UKGT and used about 12 across the whole weekend. I just like having all the toys, its hardly a roadblock to the newbies as they could bring a strong core of models and know them all inside out.

It's hardly about who has the most money, it's about who has the strongest core of models.

Only real things i don't like is

1, Neverborn seem a bit out of balance with the rest of the factions from what is said here, and my club campaign. So occasionally my friends don't enjoy playing my preferred master due to he is to overpowered and they don't know how to beat it and i don't know how to stay in theme and make a softer list to be fun to play against.

2, as far as i have seen, the cards are only available from wyrd themselves not the other stockists (weather decided by wyrd or the independent retailers i don't know) But it bugs me as if i want one, i will need to pay $16 postage for the fact i don't live in US.

I hate that not everyone sees HOW AWESOME THIS GAME IS. Why aren't those guys playing it?!?! Oh why oh why?!?!

:)

I also dislike players who suck the joy from the game, by being 'right about all things', i.e. you MUST take this combination of models, everything else is inefficient, you MUST pwn, you MUST...

You can name any master in the game, and I don't think any of them would suffer massively from being limited to bringing only, say, 12 models. (The only exceptions I can think fo are those that use tons of duplicates, ie, Kirai, Hamelin, Som'er).

So a tournament/game doesn't come down to who has the most, it's who has the best 'core'. I tend to use my other models in friendly games to try something new and mix it up a bit, but as said, I think I only used about 15 models at the GT.

Can't say I hate anything about the game, but I could live without the auto damage inflicted by a whole range of models when they die.

The worst thing by far is actually when players moan about broken combos, broken models and broken Neverborn. There's nothing that can't be beaten by playing better.

I need to get this out because it's a constant annoyance.

Regardless, Wyrd is rad.

Faction to Faction Balance.

It didn't really kick in until I played multiple crews across each of the factions that I realize how absolutely underpowered Seamus, Justice, Nicodem, Ramos, Marcus, and the Gremlins are versus a massive plethora of other crews.

That's not to say they can't win, just that they start a lot of games far, far behind most other crews. This is because all of these crews lack a "hard counter" ability. There's balance in the fact that these masters are in the same faction as Kirai, McMourning, Perdita, C. Hoffman, Viktorias, Leveticus, or Hamelin the Plagued.

But how does that even make sense? I love Seamus, I think he's probably the coolest nexus of 19th century legends I've ever seen in any work of literature, gaming, or art.

But I could care less about Kirai or McMourning.

While someone is going to argue that masters like these are just "higher difficulty cap masters," they aren't. Nicodem is no more difficult to play than Lilith, Seamus is probably the easiest master to play behind Perdita. And the Gremlins? Are you kidding me?

But all of these crews are considered balanced because they're listed in the same index as McMourning, Perdita, Colette, and Hamelin?

How is that at all fun?

I don't think anyone should have to buy an entire faction just to be competetive.

Rules

It's inevitable that something is going to be misprinted, or the creators will miss a gap in their rules that allows for an exploit. When this happens its expected to fixed quickly.

And sometimes, it is. Sometimes you'll receive a straight answer immediately and can then go about your business. It's great when this happens, problem solved, game on. You can't fault Wyrd, they're busy as hell making Malifaux great. Many times they just figure we'll figure it out sooner or later, and we do.

This is where the unfortunate players are left absolutely in the gray as to what is right and wrong, officially. So they turn to the community for answers. This is where the real problem begins, as the community is almost always arift in proper ruling due to differences in belief, faction biases, past rulings on similar problems, et cetera. The list of reasons people believe what they believe is never ending.

What you come into, however, is a massive pool of differing ideas that almost all make sense, leaving whoever asked the question to just pick the answer that best suits them.

The Rules Manual

So Wyrd had to go back and rewrite a lot of rules. The problem? Everyone already owned the main two books, and weren't about to buy another set just for corrections.

The solution was to release the Rules Manual. For 20$ you could purchase an answer to any mistakes present in the two main books. For those who didn't want to buy the book, there was a free PDF you could download that was missing about 60% of the important content.

-Wait, what?

Yeah, the Rules PDF is completely lacking in most places that require a picture explanation to rules that Wyrd had failed to properly explain before.

Players are expected to dish out an extra 20$ because the two main books had enough mistakes to warrant a third book dedicated exclusively to correcting those mistakes and properly explaining rules that were too vague before.

Three prospective new players this past week were turned away because of the cost of the actual book and the pitiful state the PDF is in.

They refused to pay a company that attempted to profit from its own mistakes, and I can't say I blame them.

I will, though, because we need more people to play in Tacoma. :/

- - - - -

Edited by Sandwich