new look for tokens + extra counters

sephiroa

hey you guys,

since i love puppet wars and already did some demo's I noticed 1 thing. the black, white, yellow, green, red, purple and blue tokens, i don't like their look, in fact it's one of the reasons some people don't want to buy/play it. the tokens, okay, but giving them only a color,, it would have looked better if they at least have something printed on them

so in this thread, I'm going to give them a look in a way you "know" what they are.

a lot of people said 1 thing, nice models, nice board, nice cards and stat cards, but those color tokens, they just don't fit in. and it's not easy to see the difference in a neutral work bench and impassable terrain on a first glance.

what am I going to do? well, this is wehre i could use some help from you guys.

the board is the top of a table/desk. so the black tokens should be something that could be in the way from the puppets.

i have some different options atm:

a thimble perhaps? some needles in a cussion perhap? or i could just put some "pillars" i have some molds from some nice broken pillers to put on them.

workbenches: maybe a small desk or just put a sticker on it so the people at least know what it is.

and the counters: playing with 4 people, sometimes (most of the times) you don't have enough exausted counters, so i'm going to find a way to print some cheap thin cardboard counters.

+ a king of the hill counter, a shiny counter, etc, etc.

so, what are your opinions in this?

(could be I'm not the only one who started a thread like this but I'm not seeing it atm so i start one myself)

cheerz

Though I've not been too bothered about the tokens, I can certainly see what you mean.

I think a good idea that I first saw Ratty do, was create IT that filled more than one space.

If it's an office desk then ink wells, candles, wax seal, as well as thimbles, string and odd trinkets. Workbences should probably be pin cushions, treat it like an operating table.

Having recently bought a chess set with a foldable board, I've been tempted to do my own modelled PW set, but until then I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck =]

Talking of that I was messing around with WB tokens today. They really need to be flat as models will sit on top of them.

WB1.jpg

The only issue I'm having is I would need to cast around 31 of them to get enough for 4 colours and neutral, so what I'm thinking of doing is adding bolts into the 6 large stones which the coloured discs will sit happily within. That way I only need to make 7 and then you slot in coloured discs when captured.

Bottle.jpg

I also got some cute bottles so I'm making a couple of bases they fit into, in the end they will have stuff like blood and poison in and some little labels.

allSoFar.jpg

And all my tokens so far.

Edited by Ratty

• 3 weeks later...

I used colored beads at GenCon for exhausted tokens. Those worked great. I also did them for the round counters. I want to do something different for the other tokens, WBs, terrain, etc. I have a few ideas and will share them when I get around to making them happen.

I was thinking of using some colored chips with the paper tokens glued on top. I need to find some small round tokens. Like I mentioned in another thread, LITKO makes a lot of tokens that can be used. There was someone at GenCon that was using them.