Painting is not a natural talent of mine.

Lovemachine

Have you considered changing Raspy's hair and/or lips? I'm rusty on my color theory but you've got this great earth tone/ice blue thing going and both the purple and red just don't fit with it. Sometimes one jarring color can work when the rest compliment each other, but two just doesn't feel right.

I'd consider one of the following:

- Change her hair to dark brown and her lips to a natural color (remove the lipstick)

- Leave her hair purple. Mix the same color with a dark blue and thin it out a bit (or use a dark blue or purple ink if you have one), then apply to the hair and let it dry completely before changing anything else. Remove the lipstick or change it to match the dark green or blue.

- Shade the hair as above and change the lipstick to a darker version of the hair's purple.

- Change the hair to dark brown, use a darker red for the lips.

It depends on what you want to stand out more- her hair or her lipstick. I think the purple hair looks good, personally.

As for Snow Storm:

Maybe another round of drybrushing on Storm's fur with a lighter shade, and a thinned ink or paint wash on Snow's fur coat linings. Perhaps mixing a bit of white with the color you used for Storm's horns and brush it onto the points of Storm's horns to make them pop a bit.

Two more things that helped me: I stopped painting from the jar and I developed patience. Using a palette and thinning small amounts of paint resulted in an immediate improvement in even my basecoats. Taking my time meant fewer washing/highlighting screwups.

It is really, really easy to use too much paint or wash at once and wreck your work. Better to have to get more paint and do it again than to ruin your progress.

My recomendation.

Get your camera on your table. The biggest issue I'm seeing is that you are using a very harsh light in your photos. Make sure you have the Macro on (it is a symbol of a flower) and then set your camera down so that you can use a longer shutter speed and less direct light. Also, if you can, set a 2 second timer on your camera. That will get rid of some of the bounce caused by pressing the shutter button.

As far as the minis, they look fine for a table-top quality. They look really good for a first set of minis.

I'm pretty dire with painting, and they seem great. As people have said, it's a learned skill, so the more you paint (and enjoy!) the better.

An example for me, is Chaos Marines (GW). I hate painting them, so my painting skills are dire with them. We're talking 'dip them in the paint pot and hang them on a line' level of skill. However, Ophelia and her gremlins, because I enjoy them (I love finding the details that Wyrd Mini's have put in them!), they look a bit better. Like, I dipped them in the paint pot, but at least thought to shake some paint off after! :P

If you want to get better, look into tutorials, or visiting places that will teach you advanced techniques. Games Workshop do that (You can book a session, take a random figure in, and say 'hey teach me to do realistic animal fur!, and they'll spend some time with you), which is great, but make sure you only take in GW models or they get a little upset.

Washes, drybrushing, basic highlights, all things that are easy to do, and make figures look great. I normally wash (say green over the gremlin's original green faces), then highlight with the original green again, and bang, highlighting done. (I could mix up green and white, in steps to make the layers, but I don't have a large enough magnifying glass!. Drybrushing white over anything just gives some detail back, and adds another level of highlighting too.

• 1 month later...
Have you considered changing Raspy's hair and/or lips? I'm rusty on my color theory but you've got this great earth tone/ice blue thing going and both the purple and red just don't fit with it. Sometimes one jarring color can work when the rest compliment each other, but two just doesn't feel right.

I'd consider one of the following:

- Change her hair to dark brown and her lips to a natural color (remove the lipstick)

- Leave her hair purple. Mix the same color with a dark blue and thin it out a bit (or use a dark blue or purple ink if you have one), then apply to the hair and let it dry completely before changing anything else. Remove the lipstick or change it to match the dark green or blue.

- Shade the hair as above and change the lipstick to a darker version of the hair's purple.

- Change the hair to dark brown, use a darker red for the lips.

It depends on what you want to stand out more- her hair or her lipstick. I think the purple hair looks good, personally.

As for Snow Storm:

Maybe another round of drybrushing on Storm's fur with a lighter shade, and a thinned ink or paint wash on Snow's fur coat linings. Perhaps mixing a bit of white with the color you used for Storm's horns and brush it onto the points of Storm's horns to make them pop a bit.

Two more things that helped me: I stopped painting from the jar and I developed patience. Using a palette and thinning small amounts of paint resulted in an immediate improvement in even my basecoats. Taking my time meant fewer washing/highlighting screwups.

It is really, really easy to use too much paint or wash at once and wreck your work. Better to have to get more paint and do it again than to ruin your progress.

Oi! I am going to have to print this out. I do paint from bottle. Thanks for the good info guys!

Honestly, painting is just a skill you learn. Very few people just paint excently out of the gate. I consider myself a fairly middle of the road painter compared to some, and I did fairly well in Wyrd's recent painting contest. The point is never be ashamed of what you are able to do, just do the best you can and always try to improve your techniques. You will always get better the more miniatures you paint. For your first attempts at model painting these were very respectable.

They look good for a first outing, damn sight better than my first ones! Best thing to do is just have a look at some tutorials and practice. Reaper do a good DVD set called hot lead, the guy that does it explains things in a really easy to learn way. It's cheap and will make a world of difference. Look at my painting thread, the difference between Hopkins and Snowstorm is getting that DVD and a little practice (my painting still sucks but a lot less than it did).

Strive for neatness, brace your hand to reduce shaking. Then inks and washes will take care of the shading for now.

Painting is not a natural talent, it is learned. All you need is constant practice and no matter how bad you think the miniature looks never strip it, not only will you actually make progress, but you can also look back and see how far you've come.

. Then inks and washes will take care of the shading for now.

Painting is not a natural talent, it is learned. All you need is constant practice and no matter how bad you think the miniature looks never strip it, not only will you actually make progress, but you can also look back and see how far you've come.

Let me second that though even after thirty years plus of painting neatness is not something I can do. I on the subject of inks recommend you try using a dark brown ink wash as a form of quick shade after blocking in the core colours its fast & will work well with most colours except very dark brown or black where you would use black ink as black on a figure should almost always be dark grey.

I hope that helps but keep practising & keep every thing so you can see where your going. If you see any technique you like try it & see if it will work for you.

I took a lot of the advice given, and I think it helped out a lot. I am in class right now, so later tonight ill try to post up my Ramos. I didnt use any strait out of the bottle paints, and I did a few coats of really thin paint. I didnt have the best light, so I missed a few things here and there, but I think it turned out rather well. The only thing I have for taking pictures is my phone, so I apologise for that.

Nice models, they look much better than many "pro painted" I see about the Internet so give yourself a pat on the back :)

When painting I tend to thin the paints ever so slightly with water and build colours up over several thin layers (though this doesn't work so well for metallic paints) to give a more solid and smoother finish. I then mix colours to produce highlights that seem more natural, gradually adding a lighter colour. This way you never have to really worry about shading and can build up from a base coat.

For instance, for flesh I tend to start wit ha base coat of Game Workshops' Graveyard Earth, it may seem odd at first, but I've found it makes a nice solid colour to build up a flesh tone over. I made my Raspy very pale, her final (and tiny) highlights were Bleached Bone with a little Skull White.

Just take your time and if you need to experiment with techniques or ideas you think up, just buy some cheap plastic models (there are plenty of suppliers you there that do 50 or more models less than $10!) and try things out on those, that way you never have to worry about ruining a good model :)