My Puppet Wars Toy Box

Seventeen

Just got the boxed set yesterday and immediately realised that if I planned on painting my mini's and not have them rattle up against one another I'd need something different to store them in. I get great ideas while driving..

Here's what I came up with:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd492/achieve_more/?action=view&current=IMG_0028.jpg

Took an old chess set box where the kids have lost one piece and broke another. It's top hinges open, and I punched out the board, flipped it over and reset it in the frame. Centered and glued the gameboard to the cover... Apply Handy Dandy X-acto knife to the inner foam and 45 minutes later, here you go!

If I don't keep the chits and tokens in, I can fit all Boxed Set components, the contents of all the wave one expansion puppets in there, plus 3 Teddys. I'm praying I just get three!

That looks really great! Is there any room for expansion?

Nope... I'll have enough slots for 52 puppets or the boxed set plus one each of pawns and the Multi-Player set.

It'll work great for now as it seems that the tray is just deep enough to hold 50-ish Puppet stat cards also.

Start looking on craigslist for chess sets with built-in storage. I just scored big time as the foam tray is just high enough to hold my mini's.

I'm quite happy!

Awesome, I totally want to steal this idea! :)

For anyone else lo, the closest I've found so far is this:

http://www.seriousgameplay.com/i2233.asp

dude! that's the board I got!!! mine came with an asian themed chess set for $90-ish... I'm surprized you found it 'plain'! totally cool!

the checkered board is held in place by tiny finish nails (more like a heavy duty staple...). I popped out the board, didn't bother with the exposed nails and used wood glue to put it back in frame... there's a generic foam tray that I found at my FLGS for $18 that fit one inside-box edge that I'd have to trim down the other side to fit... I got lucky that everything worked out perfect. With a custom tray, you'd probably be able to fit more stuff in yours than I did my box (insert snicker a la Beavis and Butthead...)

Depending on how the BattleFoam Toy Box looks and costs when it comes out, this might be a great alternative to storing and carrying your Puppet Wars set!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. I may have to do something similar with the chess set I got at a thrift store years ago that I was going to use for play-testing Puppet Wars back when it was still grid-based instead of the hexes in the final product. [i'd have been a row and a column short, but it would have given us an idea on how well the game mechanics worked.] Hinged is nice. Mine, the board space just sits on top, but I think mine has a lot more space, like enough for four regular foam trays, or two pluck.

• 2 weeks later...