The Big Fat Tier Debate

Jonas Albrecht

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any lists so odd, weird or just downright bad that they actually cause themselves damage, and keep on doing it, without the opponent doing anything? I am thinking of something based around Leveticus without any Hollow Waifs, maybe Killjoy in there as well to sac Levi and then attack you own guys. What is the worst list you could come up with?

Are there any lists so odd, weird or just downright bad that they actually cause themselves damage, and keep on doing it, without the opponent doing anything? I am thinking of something based around Leviticus without any Hollow Waifs, maybe Killjoy in there as well to sac Levi and then attack you own guys. What is the worst list you could come up with?

I'm fairly certain I could build a gremlin crew that wipes itself off the board first activation.

Taking things seriously, because I have very little to do at the office right now...

Faction-wise, things stack up roughly like this:

Neverborn

Outcasts

Ressers

Guild-Arcanists

With the difference between levels being relatively small.

Master-wise, I'd break things down like this:

Tier 0:

The Dreamer/LCB

Tier 1:

Hamelin

Colette DuBois

Kirai Ankoku

Perdita Ortega

Pandora

Collodi

Zoraida

Leveticus

Tier 2:

Rasputina

Lady Justice

Lilith

Victorias

Seamus

Nicodem

Sonnia Criid

Som'er Teeth Jones

Tier 3:

C. Hoffman

Viktor Ramos

McMourning

The Remainder of the Henchmen

Tier Marcus:

Marcus

And, in explanation:

Tier 0 is slightly meta-deforming. You have to have an answer to things in this category because they will show up time and time again.

Tier 1 is your standard highly-competitive tournament Masters.

Tier 2 isn't a bad choice, but isn't the best of choices either, but you're not hurting yourself too badly by using them.

Tier 3 isn't really strongly recommended.

Tier Marcus is funny.

My changes!

Neverborn

Guild-Arcanists-Outcasts

Ressers

With the difference between levels being relatively small.

Master-wise, I'd break things down like this:

Tier 1:

The Dreamer/LCB

Hamelin

Colette DuBois

Kirai Ankoku

Perdita Ortega

Pandora

Collodi

Lilith

Tier 2:

Rasputina

Lady Justice

Victorias

Seamus

Nicodem

Sonnia Criid

Som'er Teeth Jones

Zoraida

Leveticus

Marcus (I know, I know, ukrocky makes me want to believe)

Tier 3:

C. Hoffman

Marcus

Avatar Viktor Ramos (based on calmdowns opinion)

McMourning

The Remainder of the Henchmen

Tier Marcus:

No Avatar Ramos

And, in explanation:

Tier 1 is your standard highly-competitive tournament Masters.

Tier 2 isn't a bad choice, but isn't the best of choices either, but you're not hurting yourself too badly by using them.

Tier 3 isn't really strongly recommended.

Tier Marcus is funny.

I broadly agree with both of the above lists but I think you've missed the ever-important T1.5; models that will often beat T2, but often lose to T1. T3 is normally reserved for things that pretty much dont win.

T1 is pretty much Dreamer, Pandora, Collodi, Kirai, Collette, Hamelin. I'm not sure that Dreamer is really better than all of these particularly; I think the main problem with Dreamer is that a lot of lists simply cant deal with him and he'll auto beat them, but that's not true for the T1 masters.

I'd put Zoraida and Lilith in 1.5, mostly by virtue of Neverborn minion strength.

I'd put everything else in T2. I think that there is enough variation in Malifaux to say that anything other than the above masters with their obvious advantages can win games against anything else, and at this level minions define the lists rather than masters.

If a T3 exists, and you could argue that it does, I'd probably only put Nicodem and Ramos in it.

Marcus is definitely T2, but tier Marcus is funnier.

I think Lady J is tear 1purly for the Comoros with Lucius, two students and peacekeeper can do, it might not as good as Alp Bomb, but a peacekeeper with Fast and Melee in face on turn 1 followed by fast Lady J on turn two isn't fun (and just for the ressers her in your deployment zone next to ALL you models and watch her restore natural order. Not fun)

I broadly agree with both of the above lists but I think you've missed the ever-important T1.5; models that will often beat T2, but often lose to T1. T3 is normally reserved for things that pretty much dont win.

I dislike the concept of a 1.5, which is why I didn't include it. The very notion is kind of shoddy and stinks of "throwing it in" after the fact.

T1 is pretty much Dreamer, Pandora, Collodi, Kirai, Collette, Hamelin. I'm not sure that Dreamer is really better than all of these particularly; I think the main problem with Dreamer is that a lot of lists simply cant deal with him and he'll auto beat them, but that's not true for the T1 masters.

The auto-win situation is what pushes the Dreamer/LCB up to Tier 0 in my book. That and his complete and total saturation at every competition I've been at. :)

I'd put Zoraida and Lilith in 1.5, mostly by virtue of Neverborn minion strength.

I'd put everything else in T2. I think that there is enough variation in Malifaux to say that anything other than the above masters with their obvious advantages can win games against anything else, and at this level minions define the lists rather than masters.

If a T3 exists, and you could argue that it does, I'd probably only put Nicodem and Ramos in it.

Marcus is definitely T2, but tier Marcus is funnier.

I don't see the point of tear 1.5 why not just call it tear 2, what ever was tear 2 before tear 3

If you're going to have a tier 1.5 you may as well just have a league table ranking each master seperately. Tier 1 are the best, tier 3 are the worst. Everything else is tier 2, but that doesn't imply that all models in any tier are of equal ability.

Ferb