December's Curse, maximum range

edonil

So, how exactly does this work? I keep hearing the number 22" thrown out with Silent Ones, but how exactly does that work out. Do I need multiple Silent Ones? Does Rasputina need to be in range of North Wind for her to get the extra 3", or is it from the Silent One? Just confused on what this looks like, what it involves, and how it needs to be arranged.

edonil wanted the actual math:

1 Silent One uses North Wind with Rasputina in range of the effect. Rasputina gains +3" of range on Decembers curse (13") then also gains +3" range on Ice Mirror (9")

13" + 9" = 22"

You also gain the base size of the model, as you don't have to be completely within range for Ice Mirrors, iirc, so really it's more like 23"-24" range, but at the same time, there is no CTRL range measuring in this game (unlike WarmaHordes) so it's rather difficult to get the full range on this combo.

You only need 1 Silent One, but you would benefit from having a second Silent One to Ice Mirror through, as a normal Ice Mirror target gives Rasputina a health -Ca penalty...

Rasputina needs to be within range of the Northwind.

Anything I missed?

I don't think we've ever gotten firm word, but it's unlikely that North Wind increases the range of Icy Mirror.

North Wind specifically says it increases Rg - which makes it the stat. Anything that doesn't have an actual Rg stat wouldn't see a benefit from it.

So you'll get a boost to the range for December's Curse (or ranged strikes like Icy Blast/Burst), but still have to be within 6" for the bounce.

I don't think we've ever gotten firm word, but it's unlikely that North Wind increases the range of Icy Mirror.

North Wind specifically says it increases Rg - which makes it the stat. Anything that doesn't have an actual Rg stat wouldn't see a benefit from it.

So you'll get a boost to the range for December's Curse (or ranged strikes like Icy Blast/Burst), but still have to be within 6" for the bounce.

in increases Rg to all abilities, spells, and ranged weapons. since ice mirror is an ability with a 6 inch range it gets increased. or i must have missed somting very important with north wind. its realy simple i believe, everything gets increased. except :pulse and :aura

in increases Rg to all abilities, spells, and ranged weapons. since ice mirror is an ability with a 6 inch range it gets increased. or i must have missed somting very important with north wind. its realy simple i believe, everything gets increased. except :pulse and :aura

Rg is not simply shorthand for "range", it is a specific stat. So you can't just see 'Rg' and read 'range'. So abilities which don't have an actual Rg state - such as Icy Mirror - don't see any benefit from it. Essentially, it will only affect weapons and spells (except for the specific aura/pulse ranges mentioned, obviously).

It may just be an oversight in the wording, but given that I don't think I've seen any other abilities that use Rg when they mean range, I'm inclined to think it's intentional.

Rg is not simply shorthand for "range", it is a specific stat. So you can't just see 'Rg' and read 'range'. So abilities which don't have an actual Rg state - such as Icy Mirror - don't see any benefit from it. Essentially, it will only affect weapons and spells (except for the specific aura/pulse ranges mentioned, obviously).

It may just be an oversight in the wording, but given that I don't think I've seen any other abilities that use Rg when they mean range, I'm inclined to think it's intentional.

well, i believe this is one of those things wyrd would have to clarify for us :) it could be, but then, do you know an ability that has a Rg characteristic? if not, then why did they put it there?

This is cut and dried. The most you can get out of of Rasputina is 19", with one Silent One within 3" of her and another 6" in front.

Unfortunately this adds yet another disadvantage to Rasputina's already considerable list of issues....needing to bunch up for best effect.

Aww, I think you're right. No range boost for Ice Mirror :(

Still it is only 3" in the scheme of things. By way of game balance can we say it adds 3" to melee weapons too :D

...(jaw drops) I have a brand new reason to include my Ice Golem with the Silent Ones now...

hmm this has been an interesting idea. She may be an ally, but keeps your friends close and your enemies closer me thinks...that is quite a big threat range, plus movement too...will have to watch out for that! Unless I just happen to have another Arcanist Master... :snow:

Aww, I think you're right. No range boost for Ice Mirror :(

Still it is only 3" in the scheme of things. By way of game balance can we say it adds 3" to melee weapons too :D

Uh...I don't think so. Pretty sure it specifies 'ranged weapons' so it doesn't apply to melee weapons. Still though, a pretty nice boost for the Ice Golem's basic ranged attack. More blast damage!

• 8 months later...

in accordance with my new found light on this the silent 1 isnt worth 6 points if it cant boost an ability rasputina has considering she has crap defence crap wp crap wk/chg gives models 4" around her frozen heart for synergy yet the 1 spell that offers the most synergy doesnt allow her ability to actually have a chance considering she gets -3 to ca......... im sorry tto say this but thats a load of bull@#$$ it states its an ability and it has a RANGE of 6" and therefore if the range gets +3" then this is obviously affected otherwise she has been screwed by the pooch

in accordance with my new found light on this the silent 1 isnt worth 6 points if it cant boost an ability rasputina has

What.

The Silent One is easily worth six points, what are you talking about?

considering she has crap defence crap wp crap wk/chg gives models 4" around her frozen heart for synergy yet the 1 spell that offers the most synergy doesnt allow her ability to actually have a chance considering she gets -3 to ca.........

Oh, well, there's your problem. Rasputina only takes a -1 to Ca when casting through the Silent One.

im sorry tto say this but thats a load of bull@#$$ it states its an ability and it has a RANGE of 6"

You must be looking at the V1 or something, because that's totally incorrect. The wording of the rule is:

When casting a spell, this model may draw LoS and range from a friendly model with Frozen Heart within 6".

At no point is 6" referred to as a range or as Rg. She never had that trick. But she's still amazing, so I dunno what you're on about.

lol sorry meant the silent 1 north wind spell says models with frozen heart get +3 to the range of all abilities spells and ranged weaps.... so in saying that ice mirror is an ability but doesnt gain extra 3" also freeze over doesnt get a bonus as its an action..... very strange ruling making me unhappy lol as meaning any strategy you get where mobility is key may as well just concede because a master like pandora that can move so far so quick you just cant compete against...

I find going against pandora to be easy when you follow the adage of "stop playing malifaux, start playing against pandora" and with rasputina, no matter what your stratgey is, treat it like Slaughter. Use the Ice walls to force pandora to move where you can keep an eye on her, then put your gamin in her face, and nuke the gamin. If done right, you can kill drop pandora to 1 wd from full with 1 decembers curse, using only duels that you have full control over. If you can catch pandora in that, she cant use her WP defensive ability, she cant cheat or soulstone because she is not involved in it.