Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

This is probably one of the sillier questions, but Jonas and I are in disagreement over this topic:

Is Colette really French? He seems to think her sentence structure sounds like it indicates an accent, while I think she just has a (possibly adopted) high-class/'fancy' way of speaking.

Please, end this debate!

in book 1 there is 1 tyrant that realy want's to get out.

we also see a glimp of the gorgon and the grave spirit.

in book 2 we have the plague that walks again.

what will happen if their are more tyrants that will awaken?

imagine that rasputina is fighting lilith, seamus and criid altogether in a 1vs1vs1vs1 battle? and a tyrant attacs them? will they join forces to take down the tyrant? or will they just keep fighting? there will be a time they will have to make that choice if to tyrants keep returning.

• 2 weeks later...

In the conversation between Lucius and the Governor General in the epilogue of book 2, it is sort of implied that Lucius is hiding his true power - is this a reference to his personal abilities as a Henchman, or is this supposed to be a reveal that he is actually more powerful than he is pretending to be?

In the conversation between Lucius and the Governor General in the epilogue of book 2, it is sort of implied that Lucius is hiding his true power - is this a reference to his personal abilities as a Henchman, or is this supposed to be a reveal that he is actually more powerful than he is pretending to be?

There is a thread about the Lawyer having the Beast trait. I assume that the Lawyer's Beast trait and Lucius's hidden power are connected. I don't think that Lucius and the Lawyer's are completely human.

My apologies, I could have been clearer. What I'm asking is how big of a genre shift are we going to see. Imagine Gangs of New York if, halfway through the story, Leonardo DiCaprio goes Super Saiyan. Its suddenly a totally different movie. Probably not a better one.

Um...I don't think we have any desire at all to shift any genres. I'm still working hard to further develop this one!

This is probably one of the sillier questions, but Jonas and I are in disagreement over this topic:

Is Colette really French? He seems to think her sentence structure sounds like it indicates an accent, while I think she just has a (possibly adopted) high-class/'fancy' way of speaking.

Please, end this debate!

I'd agree with you, Tuesday. I don't think any of us really sat down and established her history from birth, but add your thoughts to Sholto's and I think we're all pretty good.

Of the first 3 Resser Masters, who's been a practicing Necromancer the longest?

That's an interesting question!

Since Necromancy is something specific to the Malifaux side of the breach, all three would be within four years. So, the real question is: which has been here the longest? Or even, before they were true Necromancers, which has studied about it the longest? The next book will kind of add more to several of the Res masters and give more to discuss. We'll revisit this topic in ~4-5 months!

in book 1 there is 1 tyrant that realy want's to get out.

we also see a glimp of the gorgon and the grave spirit.

in book 2 we have the plague that walks again.

what will happen if their are more tyrants that will awaken?

imagine that rasputina is fighting lilith, seamus and criid altogether in a 1vs1vs1vs1 battle? and a tyrant attacs them? will they join forces to take down the tyrant? or will they just keep fighting? there will be a time they will have to make that choice if to tyrants keep returning.

"take down the tyrant" huh? That's funny. They'd probably trip Seamus and run like hell in opposite directions. There wouldn't be much "keep fighting" going on.

;)

That's an interesting question!

Since Necromancy is something specific to the Malifaux side of the breach, all three would be within four years. So, the real question is: which has been here the longest? Or even, before they were true Necromancers, which has studied about it the longest? The next book will kind of add more to several of the Res masters and give more to discuss. We'll revisit this topic in ~4-5 months!

Interesting! Thanks for the reply - gut feeling based on rules is the Nicodem is the most powerful Necromancer (since he can create pretty much any form of Undead compared to Seamus who can only create Belles and McMourning who seems to be experimenting all the time, but can only create specific forms of undead)...

I doubt the other ressers (kirai notwithstanding though im sure given the training she could throw spirits into whatever corpse she wanted to) _can't_ create other undead, it's just not their thing.

I'd also argue that Leveticus is probably stronger than all the traditional ressers as he also hybridises... He might not have Nico's raw dead-makin' abilities but he seems far more unbound by any particular code of experimentation / behaviour

To be fair to Nico, I also imagine Levi's got a pretty dark secret whether it's an artifact or a deal with the devil for whatever keep bringing him back to life. Also the souless deal which implies a connection to the plague, or a similar being that might be helping, or outright powering, Levi.

Edited by tenabrae

"take down the tyrant" huh? That's funny. They'd probably trip Seamus and run like hell in opposite directions. There wouldn't be much "keep fighting" going on.

;)

wel if if gorgon and december and the grave spirit will be ressurected or will have a body again, isn't that like an apocalypse for malifaux :P

i would like to see some avatar forms fighting one of them :D

Since my last Lucius question was met with a wink, how about another one that might be more answerable?

In that same epilogue, Lucius is described as adjusting his spectacles. This sort of implies that he doesn't wear his gold mask at all times...

-Is the mask only worn when fighting?

-If so, is it worn for protection or to hide his identity while out and about? Or perhaps for some other reason?

Since my last Lucius question was met with a wink, how about another one that might be more answerable?

In that same epilogue, Lucius is described as adjusting his spectacles. This sort of implies that he doesn't wear his gold mask at all times...

-Is the mask only worn when fighting?

-If so, is it worn for protection or to hide his identity while out and about? Or perhaps for some other reason?

He's the Batman.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply - gut feeling based on rules is the Nicodem is the most powerful Necromancer (since he can create pretty much any form of Undead compared to Seamus who can only create Belles and McMourning who seems to be experimenting all the time, but can only create specific forms of undead)...

I don't think it's so much he can only create belles as much as that's his preference

I don't think it's so much he can only create belles as much as that's his preference

i have to agree with that, seamus just likes his belles, so he creates them.

nicodem has a graveyard at his disposal. so his just raises everything he can and mc mourning just loves to experiment. but in theory i think they can all 3 summon any undead they want

That maybe the case, but even if he has the potential to create better forms of Undead (fluffwise, he has clearly created Madam Sybelle and Molly, so it seems he is able to make more powerful undead creatures, given enough time and preparation) whether he limits himself by choice (having great potential, but not fully exploring it) or is limited by ability, the fact remains, in game, whatever the emergency, he can only create a single, specific type of undead...

It maybe that this is a self imposed limit (or a sign of insanity - he's clearly a few cards short of a fate deck), and regardless of desperation he refuses to raise a non-belle undead, even if it might be better in the circumstances, but it is equally possible that he doesn't know how to make other undead creatures, because he's never bothered to try or research it...

That maybe the case, but even if he has the potential to create better forms of Undead (fluffwise, he has clearly created Madam Sybelle and Molly, so it seems he is able to make more powerful undead creatures, given enough time and preparation) whether he limits himself by choice (having great potential, but not fully exploring it) or is limited by ability, the fact remains, in game, whatever the emergency, he can only create a single, specific type of undead...

It maybe that this is a self imposed limit (or a sign of insanity - he's clearly a few cards short of a fate deck), and regardless of desperation he refuses to raise a non-belle undead, even if it might be better in the circumstances, but it is equally possible that he doesn't know how to make other undead creatures, because he's never bothered to try or research it...

I'm sure it's self imposed, I belive in the first book he killed a train full of miner and brought them back as zombies, also he reanimated Philip Tomes's head

Re: Power of Res

Seamus is extremely strong in the necromantic arts. And he's seen things (either real or imagined) that have unhinged him a bit. But Nicodem has sort of risen to the top (certainly no less powerful than Seamus) of the order and he's got a real mission and vendetta. Look into the chapter where he's training Kirai for some of the clues toward his ultimate purpose.

We haven't seen much of McM, but that's about to change and he'll be shown to have no weaker understanding of the art, either. Essentially, the question is kind of unanswerable: Which is strongest? None. But their art and focus goes in slightly different directions.

Here's one, not completely a fluff question, more a fluff/rules thing.

The background stories in the Chronicles and Book 1 as well as the background blurbs for the Ice Gamin/Golems suggest that Rasputina can summon/create them. Why was it decided to not give her some sort of summoning rules?

She has enough going on with her spells and such as it is. Golems are a bit stronger/different than arachnids so it'd imbalance her to be able to do that as well. That's really it. Just game balance.

Seamus has shown himself to be able to make other forms of undead... he's the only one who's created a Henchman...

Pardon if these have been answered here already on in the fluff itself:

What age is the Dreamer and is he going to grow up in the advancing story?

A question as to why the story / background went in a direction: Any particular reason why the the three big specialized hunter divisions of the Guild (the Ortega clan, Death Marshals, and With Hunters) use skills from what they hunt in their ranks (Nephilim, Death Marsharls, and Witchling Stalkers)?