Dreamer's fluff

glacius

The dreamer was a little boy kidnapped by a neverborn he calls lord chompy bits. He believes this entire world to be a dream, because LCB makes everything he imagines come true. LCB warps his imaginings into terrible Nightmares, and protects the child in return for his boundless imagination.

The dreamer was a little boy kidnapped by a neverborn he calls lord chompy bits. He believes this entire world to be a dream, because LCB makes everything he imagines come true. LCB warps his imaginings into terrible Nightmares, and protects the child in return for his boundless imagination.

The way I understood the explanation in the D6G interview, the Dreamer hasn't been kidnapped at all. He doesn't even know about Malifaux.

What happened is that among Neverborn there are Nightmares who visit dreams of human beings on this side of the breach for some reason. They visited the Dreamer and rather than everything going as usual, it turned out the boy is not scared of his new friends and can use them to appear in Malifaux, while he is dreaming safely back on this side of the breach.

So it is a case of Neverborn over-stretching and falling under control of an exceptionally talented human boy and not the other way around.

But perhaps I got it wrong. Very cool concept indeed. I'm just waiting for a transportable normal-sized mini to purchase (not saying big isn't cool. Just not my thing). :)

The way I understood the explanation in the D6G interview, the Dreamer hasn't been kidnapped at all. He doesn't even know about Malifaux.

What happened is that among Neverborn there are Nightmares who visit dreams of human beings on this side of the breach for some reason. They visited the Dreamer and rather than everything going as usual, it turned out the boy is not scared of his new friends and can use them to appear in Malifaux, while he is dreaming safely back on this side of the breach.

So it is a case of Neverborn over-stretching and falling under control of an exceptionally talented human boy and not the other way around.

But perhaps I got it wrong. Very cool concept indeed. I'm just waiting for a transportable normal-sized mini to purchase (not saying big isn't cool. Just not my thing). :)

You gots it right.

• 2 months later...

Q'iq'el has the story right (well...for what's been revealed - duhn duhn duhn...). In fact, if anyone is "kidnapped" it'd be more appropriate to say that LCB was kidnapped by the boy, but that's not exactly right, either. Just more right than thinking the boy was kidnapped by anything. Without trying to sound canonical at all (as in, I'm just playing and throwing out ideas without wanting them to be 'written in stone'), the boy may very well be the most powerful "mage" ever. Nothing before has ever exhibited anything like the ability to travel from one distinct world, through the aether, and into another (Malifaux), and then back again. The friggin' Tyrants are simply trying to figure out how to get to the aether and keep their wits intact.

Re: boy's name: It's known by a select few that lurk in Wyrd's darkest corridors, whispering the name in fear as they shamble about almost mindlessly.

But that's just a pretty typical workday for them anyway....

:P

I would say LCB is pretty close in idea to Freddy, yeah.

Freddy Krueger is a demon (Or a man possesed/empowered by demons, depending on the film/comic/radio series/etc) based in the Dream Realm, empowered by the fear of his name. He stalks children in their dreams, playing with their fears, eventually hunting them down and sadistically slaughtering them. And the wounds that Freddy inflicts in the dream show up in real life. If you die in the Dream, you die for real.

I think the difference is that LCB doesn't usually kill the children he visits, and there's no "die in the dreamland" thing with LCB. He'll just pop up next to your bed to murder you.

Also, I'm going with "Linus" for the Dreamer's name.

he sort of is, but he isnt out for revenge, he neads a chiald's imagination and fear to live, its how he sustains his life, and he was allways looking for new ways to try and make him self imortal, and he found that as the dreamer wasnt sceard of him and had a limitles imagination he could basicly harvist the kid to keep him self alive, thats why he does what the kid wants cus if he dosent the dreamer would just kick him out of his dreams, and then lcb sorce of imortality would be lost to him for ever, so he maks everythign seem like a game so the chiald will creat nightmears (normaly nightmears can only exist inside peaples dreams but the dreamer can give them a corporial form alowing them to attack the living and harvest true fear rather than just night terrors) to kill peaple and then he feeds of the fear of the sourunding peaple. i think

he sort of is, but he isnt out for revenge, he neads a chiald's imagination and fear to live, its how he sustains his life, and he was allways looking for new ways to try and make him self imortal, and he found that as the dreamer wasnt sceard of him and had a limitles imagination he could basicly harvist the kid to keep him self alive, thats why he does what the kid wants cus if he dosent the dreamer would just kick him out of his dreams, and then lcb sorce of imortality would be lost to him for ever, so he maks everythign seem like a game so the chiald will creat nightmears (normaly nightmears can only exist inside peaples dreams but the dreamer can give them a corporial form alowing them to attack the living and harvest true fear rather than just night terrors) to kill peaple and then he feeds of the fear of the sourunding peaple. i think

thats pretty much what i was thinking

I don't know what the Dreamer's life is like Earthside (I have my own theory on that, and it doesn't involve the Dreamer being a mage), but I think he's been coming to Malifaux in his dreams for so long that he thinks nothing is unusual about it. I think he is old enough to suspect that when he is dreaming it is not just his own head he is in, and that the people in his 'dreams' might be more than just figments of his imagination, but he doesn't like to think about that too much. It spoils his fun, and the Dreamer likes his fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My Take:

I always imagined The Dreamer on our side is a British child, I call him Oliver.

His PJs always looked like a hospital gown to me, so I think that he's in some type of medical/psychiatric facility.

I do a lot of work with Autistic Children, and a large number of them will retreat into their own realities for prolonged periods of time, and I kind of feel that is what the Dreamer is doing. Nightmare simply showed him the way to Malifaux by accident, and there he has power...