Rising Powers Primer - Henchmen

EricJ

ok, so last time we met our 5 new masters, so it's time to meet the Henchmen. This book introduces you to Henchmen and presents 6 of them for you to use. Henchmen aren't at the same level a Master, but their power in Malifaux is still great. They have the ability to lead their own Crew, although the models they can hire tend to be much more narrow. But they are also available when called to bring their abilities to aid a Master. One of their key abilities is a greater access to an elite group of models know as Special Forces, which even Masters do not have full access to without them.

Guild - Lucius

Lucius is officially the Secretary of the Governor General, but is also the leader of the Elite Division, the Special Forces for the guild. In battle his abilities are rarely seen as he strides across the battlefield, surrounded by the best trained troops the Guild has to offer, each one willing to follow every one of his orders.

Resurrectionists - Molly Squiddgepidge

Molly's transition to death was a difficult one, but also very special on so many levels. She understands the dead in a way that no living person could, even Masters. Her connection is especially deep with those models who also have a special connection to their death, and these Superior Undead are the Special Force for the Resurrectionists.

Arcanists - Kaeris

Kaeris grew up around magic, with the assumption that it was hers to control. She is involved in everything the M&SU does, and has earned the trust of Ramos, gaining control of the more precious of the M&SU resources. With these resources, some specialized equipment and a deep understanding of the fiery powers held within Soulstones, she controls the Arcanists Special Forces

Neverborn - Collodi

From a distance Collodi looks human, but you can tell something is wrong from the wooden clicking of his joints as he walks. Collodi surrounds himself with dolls, and from a distance those dolls look like normal dolls, but you can tell something is wrong because they seem to change position when you look away. But you really know something is wrong when you feel a hundred sewing needles stabbing you at once. Dolls really are a special force.

Outcasts - Von Schill

Leader of the Freikorps, an elite mercenary unit which exists in Malifaux. They are well trained, well armed, and well armored, however have little ability with magic. They are available for hire for anyone willing to pay the price for these Special Forces. However, unless you also hire Von Schill, don't expect to be able to control very many.

Outcasts - Ophelia LaCroix

The driving force behind the LaCroix Kin, Ophelia has trained her family after seeing the seemingly endless string of losses to the Ortega Clan. Each member of the family has learned from the Ortegas and together create a truly special force of Gremlins.

There you go! A look at your Rising Powers Henchmen. Enjoy!

Edited by Nathan Caroland
spelling

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always try to sell them....

Two birds one stone right there.

Of course Zombies need night vision goggles, most of their work is done in the dark.

I am actually really surprised at the way Henchman work, since it seems very counter intuitive to how I picture Malifuax. They almost seem like pre-generated crews in some respect, and kind of give me the impression of bigger games with more models. I am usually quite pleased with the way things turn out though, so I have faith.

The Drifter ability does not come into play...yet...

This is quite promising to me.

Not only are you including some new mechanics into the game in the way of the henchmen/spec forces. But you still have more stuff in the works you already have plans for and partly in place.

Best of all, it seems like the new stuff adds to the game, and doesn't replace existing stuff.

One of the down falls of Magic the card game IMO was the inflation of power. I used to play Magic quite a bit back when it first came out and though the first 4 or 5 expansions. But if I were to put any of my decks up against some of the current stuff I'd be so massively out classed I'd have no chance at all. Not because the other guy played better... But because the cards are so much more powerful now then back when I played.

I like that from what I've seen so far, the options in Malifaux are getting wider and not simply replacing what's already there.

wow... i really didn't see this coming. I figured henchmen would just be a replacement for the master in the case of bodyguard, or maybe they could be a second model to use soulstones... but (correct me if i'm reading this wrong) it seems that they will give the masters more choices for hiring?

very cool if that's what i'm reading. ;)

you guys never fail to impress!

cheers

The goal with this first wave of henchmen was to give the players some additional options. Masters can hire henchmen, and in doing so gain free access to a whole group of Special Forces models. Or if you really want to take a specialized Special Forces list, you can just have your Henchman lead your crew, which is actually very characterful and surprisingly effective, and I think fun as well.

That's the goal at least, and one of keystones with our goal of expanding Malifaux by giving players MORE options, not just giving players a new book of better options.