News Monkey's wanted ....

Nathan Caroland

We're awfully hard on our monkey's around here and when they aren't pandering to the public by bringing the news we've usually got them slaving away on one thing or another or loan them out on weekend parties and never get them back quite the same.

Animal cruelty ... I blame Eric cause I can.

Anyhow, due to life, schedules and the like we find ourselves in need of News Monkey's who are able to take continued abuse and bring the news about new releases and the like within the miniature and gaming hobby.

What do you get ... admiration and adoration of lead fans around the world. No, really. We'll also throw you the occasional bone to gnaw on in the way of sneak peaks into miniatures and concepts as well as some free lead from time to time when I can remember and I'm not a ball of stress about upcoming conventions and the like.

:ahhhhh:

We have a couple about right now that fit that role as time allows but I want to bring on two to three additional individuals into the mix and let you fight to the death in posting news and ferreting out information. You'll have to dive through the net, subscribe to mailing lists and threaten anyone on the inside track that you can get your hands on for the sake of bringing the news for us to discuss and ooh and ahh over.

Holler!

.... or else.

We pay in bananas!

But really, for a time the news forum here was non-stop packed with everything new out there, and it added a great element to the forums, we'd like to see that happen again. And in addition, once Nathan figures out his forum games, think about all the power the post count and all those thank yous will get you :D

Like Rob, I do some occasional news reporting when I find something that catches my own fancy. But, I won't be able to function as a full-fledged news monkey! I have enough with other types of monkey business as it is! Oh, the responsibilities... Poor monkeys...

Good places for gathering info:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5

http://www.creafigs.com

http://www.spanish-team.com/foro

Speaking of News Monkeys, where's Malebolgia at? Haven't seen him in a while.

Saw a post by him over on the PP board about a month but haven't seen him at all anywhere.

I'll also add, for Frother's they are a bit crass (you have been warned) for those with delicate sensibilities

other's would be

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/forumofdoom/index.php

http://enigmaminiatures.com/

Edited by goblyn13

To answer your questions, some folks have had life issues come up, got married, moved, graduated school and got into the 'real world' and have found that not surprisingly that they were suddenly lack of time or in the case of one, got burned out and just said 'meh' to the hobby in general for a bit and took other pursuits. Happens, not a worry one about it though.

Alrighty, looks like we're going to be doing things a touch different around here (waggles eyebrows) as we're going to bring two news monkey's of the female persuasion into the fold and ... well ... that's just plain scary.

Ladies, thank you. I'll be sending you PM's here shortly and we'll get ya'll on board.

Heh...ferret...

I may also be interested, but I with Jess as I would need a nudge in the right direction at where to begin (And thus am totally unqualified).

A good thing to do is open a new email account unattatched to any personal one to make things easier.. Then visit as many different mini company sites as you can... sign up for newsletters with that email and keep a note of any that don't have newsletters and bobs your uncle.. do the rounds gather the info fom newsletters visit the sites...watch the forums take pics at shows that kind of thing.....(Speaking of which somebody please try and do a nice review with piccies of GENCON...pretty please)

For lists of mini companies a good thig to do is just visit an oline store that carries a large range.. The war store,, CMON shop .. or do the drop down on CMON on the top of the gallery page where you get a fairly comprehansive list...

I generally see a lot of the info but the sitting down and putting a post together is something that I just cannot make time for...(At least not while Nathan get's his way...speaking of which back to the dungeon)

I'll try and get as many pics at Gencon as I can. The wife can't make it the first 2 days so I can wander the dealer hall and not worry about her getting too bored with me oogling at everything. If there's anything anyone is really interested in let me know and I'll do my best to get pics and info for you.

The wife can't make it the first 2 days so I can wander the dealer hall and not worry about her getting too bored with me oogling at everything.

I dated a woman that was pretty much the exact opposite; she was dragging me all over GenCon and oogling anime like there was no tomorrow. Good thing I like anime (although probably not as much as her), so I didn't get bored.

If there's anything anyone is really interested in let me know and I'll do my best to get pics and info for you.

Ummm...everything? Please? :)

Here's just a thought one why the previews from other manufacturers could have slowed down:

Wyrd started out as a community site about miniatures and the hobby, right? It was a place for people to discuss previews and painting, and so on. It gained a good following, then eventually the miniatures started being made. There is still a steady increase in the fan base with more and more miniatures being released over time. Then you announce that a game is being worked on for these miniatures.

All the while, people are coming here to discuss all sorts of miniatures and painting, but the idea of the game and the Wyrd miniatures are gaining a LOT of popularity around here. I figure a lot of people are coming here just as much for the Wyrd products and news on the game as they are about general miniature information and discussion.

I come here mainly for the Wyrd products themselves, especially for news on Malifaux. I used to hang out at Rackham's forums, but over the past 2 years with the big PPP transition its been a ghost town compared to what it used to be before the PPP announcement. I was looking for a nice change of pace and Wyrd seemed to fit the bill. I still enjoy the occasional discussion about miniatures from all other manufactures, but anymore when I come to Wyrd I want to talk about Wyrd-specific products.

I'd say there's probably a decent number of people here who are much more concerned about Malifaux and Wyrd these days than previews of the new releases from other companies - that may be why previews from other companies don't come in as quick as they used to.

Always a nice thought, and to be honest, one I enjoy! All the same, we're not shy about talking or even showcasing off other peoples stuff here at Wyrd and one of the things that I've been very adamant on from the very beginning is to support the hobby in all its many ways.

Still ... all Wyrd is good too. Heh.

I expect things will take a much more hardcore 'Wyrd' theme on the site when we release Malifaux as well as redo the website. We'll see how that goes when it comes time.

I think keeping the site as more of a omni-hobby site is a good move. Honestly I think its rediculous when I am on Rackham boards or GW boards or w/e and I have to say "That other game" or "That company of crown contracted seagoing printers". Its stupid, honestly, I am pretty sure that saying "Games Workshop" or "Rackham" or "Privateer Press" won't have any significant influences on anyones profits.

With the release of Malifaux I am sure there will be a need to rearange the boards, but I think it would be a good move to keep the more generic ones around.

I appreciate that there are Wyrd specific threads (and this is a very organized board in comparison to a few others I belong to). When I first found this site for IP4 (thanks Jeff), I loved that the News & Reviews section opened a whole new world of minis I wouldn't have found otherwise, but if I want to just check out Wyrd News, it's easy to find.

I've always enjoyed the overall news aspect, and I think encouraging it shows a lot of class on Nathan and Wyrd's part. I only have time to frequent a few forums. I suspect TMP is a good source for news but I find the structure of that page overwhelming so I'd just as soon not have to figure it out if Nathan will keep the news flowing here. :-> If anything the fact that the site is run in such a way that you can enter other company's stuff in contests and read about it in the forums quite freely and without feeling guilty makes me more loyal to Wyrd and more likely to buy Wyrd pewter even at this time when I'm trying to cut down the amount of minis I buy.

Yeah, I always found it rather annoying that on other boards when people would post about other companies, whether about new releases or something they painted, or even just news, that it would tend to be responded to with at best a cold shoulder and at worst ridicule. Nathan and I both started with the hobby in general and I think we both enjoy seeing and hearing what's out there as much as anyone. In fact, with all my spare time going into various wyrd projects, I found that once the news slowed on this site, I was rather out of touch, which is why I prodded Nathan to find us some new monkeys. Looking forward to the flow of news through here.

The hope is of course that most of the chatter is about wyrd stuff, minis, games, news, etc...as we're trying to create something worthy of talking about, but just seems a bit counter productive to silence our forum goers on anything really. Even just the friendly chatter on life, live and the meaning of it all is great :D

And here, I usually held off posting specifically because it seemed rude to use Wyrd's forum to promote other companies.

That said, I'll try and remember to send stuff this way when I hear it. (Miniatures only, or anything gaming related?)

Edited by Bexley

Gaming is fine, obviously the goal here is industry news, and discussion on that, but of course while this is all important, we're not looking to becomes a sales platform for other companies, so advertisements and such might just get deleted :D (not directing that at you Bexley, just in general say'n)