2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - September

Shock & Awe

On 9/23/2022 at 8:09 AM, DemiMurgos said:

Probably, I only found a bottle of Model Color "magenta fluorescent" and it has the same consistency as my canvas acrylics, like glue (despite shaking it like crazy). The frankenmagenta stuck somehow, I'll shoot a pic later when the varnish dried. Painting miniatures made me realize how important magenta can be, it makes everything more vibrant in the mix. :D

For anyone who saddled over from canvases to miniatures: Liquitex paints are amazingly vibrant if you can somehow find the best solution-ratio (suffers from gloopyness otherwise).

Oh yea that'll be it - the fleuro paints have a very wierd consistency, slightly gloopy and transparent. You have to shake them for absolutely ages too. I do however use them in conjunction with the regular colours- normally for a light source or similar. Normal process for that is to work through from dark base colour to light and then put in a few small areas of white. Then go back over with the fleuro, first mixed with the regular colour and then on its own. No idea if that's the best way, but it seems to work!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Caedrus, reporting in!

I hope everyone has had an amazing September!

I have completed 29SS this month, and met my targets!

I'm on holidays for a week, so I needed to get these guys finished before time. I messed around with an idea this month; I used a diluted Basilicanum Grey / Black Templar Contrast Paint mix as a liner wash prior to painting (similar to Reaper Paint's 'Liner'). It worked quite well, I think.

So this month was M&SU. I decided to keep the militaristic colours of the Captain through the entire M&SU crew as a unifying component. How'll that work with Amina, or a Steamfitter? No idea. I ended up with a blue and brass combination. The blue is a touch deeper and darker in real life (I'm not a great photographer). Onto the minis!

I've been looking forward to painting The Captain (10SS). I really nice sculpt (albeit a bit of a rough cast, regrettably).

HB8EQq9.jpg

Toni was next (15SS). I couldn't deal with the hairstyle, so I sculpted (poorly) a tight plait. It worked ... ok.

vmMny8u.jpg

Finally for the month, Mouse (4SS)!

hrMKIeO.jpg

Overall, I was pretty happy with this month's lot. Next month, it'll be either more M&SU, or some remaining cats from my partially-completed Alt-Plague Caitlin crew!

I'm loving everyone's efforts!

See you in October!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

wFbkri3.jpgYdUndnR.jpgh8ZyrMm.jpgeX1uaMi.jpgpCSEXBU.jpg

Completed the savage keyword earlier in the month but didnt get around to posting it here. Havent really painted anything else but have done some assembly on chimera. Most of what I have now I'm waiting on a presumed Halloween painting contest before I start applying paint as I have a variety of things that might be usable as good spooky options.

• Like 9

My final September model was actually finished weeks ago, but getting time to take pictures and post them was more challenging because the school year started in the interim. 

Long story long, here is my Silent Knight (alt. Killjoy) for the Fae crew. Only two official Fae models left! This was also my first time working with metal, which was interesting. Definitely prefer the plastic. 

large.1744957436_SilentKnight1.jpg.6f1a8large.1576219057_SilentKnight2.jpg.f301e

• Like 9