Favorite Out Of Keyword model?

regleant

There's been no action in this forum for over a month, inactivity not seen by any other faction. So..., starting a random conversation to drum up interest.

NOT COUNTING VERSATILE, what is your favorite model to take out of keyword and why?

Recently I tried Izamu with Youko2, and I think the extra movement tricks she brings really helps him out. Worth the 11 points? Not yet sold on that, but it is certainly fun to throw on the board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regleant said:

I just bought some last month, but my gaming group hasn't been getting together, recently. I am curious to see how they play out. You prefer them over Tengu for healing?

Absolutely! Tengu are not dedicated healers, but they're okay for healing chip damage I guess, but LRM get Healing Draughts for that anyway. The benefit of the Low River Monk is that you can heal little bits of damage for the early game while building Chi, and then restore like 4/5/6 health on turn 2 or 3 to a big model your opponent is trying to kill. The real competition for them is the Tanuki, which gets less healing but more efficient AP use and a cleanse.

Tengu are more for scheming than healing, I wouldn't plan to rely on their healing at all even in Oni. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Tengu are more for scheming than healing, I wouldn't plan to rely on their healing at all even in Oni. 

Depends, they can be great healers vs blast or shockwave crews. Being able to heal most/all of the crew 3-4 a turn is pretty solid. Definitely not usable healers OOK though, need to be able to rip the Flicker Tokens to do it more than once.

Bill number one, just an all round monster. 

Next is Desper/Huckster if the pool warrents it. 

Then sometimes Low River if I want to survive. Though recently I've been subbing him out for Terracotta as I'm finding in my meta it's more that I need my key squishy models to survive the T1, T2 alpha than general attrition over the game. 

Occasional picks are Kitty and Kunoichi, but they're for specific situations. 

Kitty is map dependent and scheme and strat dependant.

TT don't have a lot of Incorporeal and on some maps/match-ups being able to move through terrain and ignore hazardous is fantastic. We also don't have any auto includes for Leylines lodestone carriers. No big resilient models that are fast and ignore terrain without relying on places. I've been caught out by turn 1 alphas that remove key lodestone holders and leave me scrambling for strat points. Kitty is fast, incorporeal and a hench. She's also great for dropping scheme markers without AP tax. Turn one she wants to move through a bunch of models to give them all brilliance and set herself up for future pushes on her bonus action.

Some better players than me lean on Kunoichi a lot more, but that maybe due to leaning into Lynch, which I seldom play. After the nerf to Tanuki, Kunoichi are our only non-Master locked access to easy focus, plus Tools for the Job is amazing for card cycling. I use one when I really want to have focus on models T1, to either strike or counterstrike. You want to activate one, discard a mask for mask triggers on their gun and then ping a nearby model or two to give out focus within 3" of them and move up the board. Best to be shooting an incorporeal model, but if you have healing or even better self healing this is fine as well.

Side note, I almost always take Kabuki or High River OOK with McCabe (sometimes both), but that's very specific.

• Like 1

I haven't played much TT in M3E, but just tried out McCabe 2 last week. I took a jorogumo and a low river monk with him and they both performed really well. I'm going to try a kabuki warrior with him next time I think. The low river monk didn't really need to do much healing turns 1 & 2, but on turn 3 I think he healed 5 on one of my guys. He can really be clutch when you need him. It's so demoralizing for your opponent after they've dumped 4 or 5 AP into a model and you heal him right back up. 

2 hours ago, scarlett fever said:

Side note, I almost always take Kabuki or High River OOK with McCabe (sometimes both), but that's very specific.

I’m a bit curious how the High River Monks work for you and what you’re doing with them.  I haven’t played them in quite a while, but I was consistently unimpressed with them when I was playing Monk crews. 

8 minutes ago, TheUnseemlyOne said:

I’m a bit curious how the High River Monks work for you and what you’re doing with them.  I haven’t played them in quite a while, but I was consistently unimpressed with them when I was playing Monk crews. 

High River Monks are basically dog water in any other situation than with McCabe. I did used to like them with Shenlong but have since seen the error of my ways. HRM with a Timeworn Blade and/or Faded Mirror depending on match-up are insane. With McCabe 1 with Masked Agent you can yeet them into combat 14" away, fast and unactivated for 4+ precise attacks handing out burning and cycling cards before they get ganked. They're generally preferable over Kabuki unless you're facing certain melee crews or specific tech. Do you want the 4 min2 with burning, free focus, chi and triggers or 3 min3 with plus flips to damage and combat finesse. 

All TT McCabes OOK minion picks are glass and you have to play hella cagey with them. If the enemy kills them before you deliver them it's all over, but when they get in they cause massive damage.

17 minutes ago, Trample said:

I haven't played much TT in M3E, but just tried out McCabe 2 last week. I took a jorogumo and a low river monk with him and they both performed really well. I'm going to try a kabuki warrior with him next time I think. The low river monk didn't really need to do much healing turns 1 & 2, but on turn 3 I think he healed 5 on one of my guys. He can really be clutch when you need him. It's so demoralizing for your opponent after they've dumped 4 or 5 AP into a model and you heal him right back up. 

Haven't tried Joro for some time but should prob give them another go. Size 3, 50mm base, df 5 with no other defences makes them even trickier to play than Kabuki. But I can see how they might prevail in the right map/match-up.

• Thanks 1

Jorogumo have Extended Reach, which is great defense tech in some match-ups. 

That reminds me, I hired Jorogumo into a Misaki list where every single model had Extended Reach. It was great fun for me! I don't recall if I had 1 or 2 in the list, but my opponent about flipped the table on me for building that list. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I’ve taken Kenshiro in Oni and liked the results. He was a decent lodestone carrier, not as durable as Kitty but turning Asami Pushes into moves helped him position into tight spaces. Seeking the Blade paired really well with Jorogumo too, 50mm base and 2” reach made it easier to dig up jokers than in-keyword. Tactics tokens are always welcome, and work really well when looking at the top two cards of the deck more often.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I take OOK is Mr Tannen into Qi and Gong, because more Distracted and Wp duels to make in Distraction auras is a wonderful thing.

I had a Fuhatsu led gunline list, so Katanaka Snipers were OOK because there was no keyword on the Leader; it's now led by Cherri Bomb (Sidir) with Fuhatsu hired into it, so they are officially OOK now.

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

The only thing I take OOK is Mr Tannen into Qi and Gong, because more Distracted and Wp duels to make in Distraction auras is a wonderful thing.

I had a Fuhatsu led gunline list, so Katanaka Snipers were OOK because there was no keyword on the Leader; it's now led by Cherri Bomb (Sidir) with Fuhatsu hired into it, so they are officially OOK now.

Samurai are great Versatile models for a gun line. :) 

• 1 month later...