New to Malifaux and Zoraida search absolute beginner tips

Color_ll

Hey guys, 

I’m a total Malifaux beginner, last weekend I played one round of five with my brother, also beginner (we needed to much time for set up the game) but it was a lot of fun.

My question is witch model or models are the best to expand my Zoraida crew? And what tactics can you recommend me?

• Color_ll changed the title to New to Malifaux and Zoraida search absolute beginner tips

Silurids are pretty mandatory with her. Outside of that she's quite versatile, so it depends a lot on your playstyle. (The First Mate is also a very good model for her, but sadly he's only availiable in Zipp's core box). Depending on map/deployment setup I also like to bring a model that can move her around outside her activation, like Hooded Rider or Mature Nephilim, so that she doesn't have to waste actions walking into position. (Once Kurgan comes out he probably fills that role pretty well and in keyword to boot). Getting Zoraida into a position where she can dominate the board from a safe distance (without getting shot at!) by arcing her actions through swampfiend models is key to playing her successfully, so you want to have enough swampfiend models in your crew. Preferably models that doesn't die to a stiff breeze (Silurdis are great for that due to stealth, leap and butterflyjump, but tanky models like Bad Juju, waldgeists and Kurgan can also work)

Make sure you have atleast one solid beater in the crew, because you'll probably obay your own models as often or more that your opponents. And you can more or less guarantee Zoraida gets good use out of her ensorcel trigger when you got a solid beater of your own to obey.

• Like 1

Getting the full keyword is generally the best approach to learning a crew. Every model has their niche and use, and learning when and where to leverage these will give you the best feel for the game.

Also Mama Z likes to Obey her own models, so big and beefy bruisers are good to bring in, whether it's Hinamatsu or Hoody Rider etc.

• Like 1

Outside the keyword, some competitive combos to note include:

Widow Weaver can use the scrap left by Voodoo Doll to summon puppets like stitched together.

Mysterious emissary can make hazardous terrain which zoraida can obey enemies to charge into.

Hinmatsu with wicked can combo with obey so you can control both sides of a duel after poison fate just exploding models.

And hooded Rider can combo with hex coordinated attack for devastating attacks.

So those are some models from outside the keyword to be aware of.

Also note Zoraidas keyword is HUGE. If it were me, I wouldn't bother buying it. I'd get the core box, silurids,  and some stuff from the above list as a way to get better models for cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Thanks a lot guys, this helps a lot. Yes the keyword is very big so I go first with silurids and maybe the emissary because I love the model. Unvisited so cool that there is so much to test wich combination are best for each situation. I am eager to learn the game.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Also note Zoraidas keyword is HUGE. If it were me, I wouldn't bother buying it. I'd get the core box, silurids,  and some stuff from the above list as a way to get better models for cheaper.

That’s a good advice, yes the keyword is huge and very expensive 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Widow Weaver can use the scrap left by Voodoo Doll to summon puppets like stitched together.

Got a question: What’s about Vasilisa she can also summon Stitched Together. Is she also an option or is Widow Weaver so much better?

2 minutes ago, extremor said:

They both have ups. If you Look at the summoning only weaver is better cause she is a henchman and can use a soulstone to get the Maske needed to summon. 

Ok thanks for your help, just wondering if the cost of +1 for Widow Weaver is justified, but that’s sounds like it’s worth 

Oh dear so much combinations 😂, and all the models are so cool. I think I will go first with Silurids, the puppet build and Emissary. I am not sure what to do with the Waldgeist. And what’s about Bad Juju? In my opinion Defense 3 is not so good.

Df 3 is going to get hit. What is good about Juju is how much healing he can have, so he will probably survive most 1 on 1 fights because he will heal more each turn than most models will do to him. He doesn't do well when multiple models attack him on the same turn.  ( for a similar reason you often want them to come and attack him so you heal with your regeneration, you going first 1 activation and 2nd the next turn letting them have 2 activations without you healing will help them kill you. )

The biggest problem with juju is that once you have learned how to deal with him, it's fairly easy to do with most crews, so he stops being a serious threat just by existing. 

• Like 1

I would suggest converting one of the Silurids into First Mate. You won't need three and First Mate is very good. Just give him a cigar and a hat and put him on a 40mm base. Hat could even be a sailor's beanie (easier to sculpt). Also add an anchor (easy to find from a cheap pendant or key chain) if you can.

I like Bad Juju quite a bit. He is quite durable in his own way and usually the enemy needs to concentrate multiple models on him, which lets your Silurids score in peace. Also, Bad Juju doesn't rely on his Triggers so makes an ideal target for Zoraida's Hex into Coordinated Attack which can churn out ridiculous amounts of damage. He's also Sz 4 which is nice for Zoraida's Eyes in the Night to see over terrain and other models. Df3 is of course super low and a canny opponent can deal with him without going through Wounds so beware of that.

Waldgeists are, unfortunately, kinda non-ideal for Zoraida. I really don't see a situation where I would want them outside of some truly bizarre circumstances (I once played on a tournament table which was 80% forests with narrow paths criss crossing). But maybe the next Gaining Grounds will somehow make Minions more useful.