Real painters help Faux painters

SEV

Hi painters! 

There's a lot of pretty mini out there. Maybe we could start a thread to helps each other (I didn't find one; but a lot of you are giving good advise in different painting threads).

Of course, you can illustrate your problem and/or the technique you're showing with pictures.

I'll try to keep track of your advise/questions here :

1) preping mini : closing gaps

• Like 2

I'm following this with a question myself :

What do you use to prep your mini? Malifaux mini are notoriously a pain to assemble and I often have some gap to close. I use Milliput for the big one and Vallejo putty for the small one... 

If you have any secret tech, please share!

3 hours ago, SEV said:

What do you use to prep your mini? Malifaux mini are notoriously a pain to assemble and I often have some gap to close. I use Milliput for the big one and Vallejo putty for the small one... 

This video from Trovarion Miniatures turned out to be pretty helpful to me, even after years of ending glued to my minis xD

In particular I liked the superglue + sandpaper tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 4:04 PM, SEV said:

Miliput with a little White spirit makes for an easy to apply ‘buttery’ paste to easily fill gaps.

3 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

Miliput with a little White spirit makes for an easy to apply ‘buttery’ paste to easily fill gaps.

I use alcohol, but I guess the results is the same. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Milibutter but most of the time I'm not happy with the results without a tedious sanding session...

I tried that last night with white spirit and it didn't work at all. Couldn't get it to form a suspension and it made the milliput (and glue I was using) difficult to stick it to stuff. My guess was the spirits were too hydrophobic. 

Was slightly handy in terms of being able to smoosh it into the milliput into some gaps gaps without it adhering to tools but a tiny bit of vaseline would have done the same job without the stench. 

Think it's kind of hard to beat using water with milliput anyway. You can press it into and scrape off the excess with some water a damp tool to get a very smooth surface, most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

For small gaps I usually use just plastic cement. Applying a bit of extra usually takes care of small cracks though sometimes it might need a bit of a smoothing with a hobby knife afterwards (just make sure that you give it enough time to cure all the way!).

There's also the sprue goo approach - by mixing sprues and plastic cement you get this grey goo is as close to liquid plastic as you can probably get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I agree about the glue for plastic-for very small gaps, it is perfectly suitable. And for something bigger, I usually take a two-part greenstuff. This is a fairly controlled and predictable way. And from the excess (you always mix more than you need), you can make small stones that will be useful later.

• Like 1