Model 9. What does it do?

I'm having trouble figuring out what Model 9 does. Obviously he is a mobile attacker, but his damage is mediocre. No real way to get extra attacks outside of the mediocre 8in shoot on a mask thats most likely doing 1 damage. His tactical is neat but nothing spectacular, and 7 wounds, even with armor 2, feels rough. (Maybe I just play against a lot of anti armor accidentally).

So I guess I'm just having trouble seeing why I'd bring Model 9. At 9ss, he seems fairly weak. Am I missing something?

Apex is all about putting adversary out and then using predatory instinct for a :+flip to the damage flip.

I think he's for doing 2 things.

One) hunting enemy scheme runners. You probably need to exactly 6 damage most of the time. So throw knife with predator instinct to get severe (4 damage) into twirling blades (2) damage gets you there. If they're hard to kill? X Marks the spot for the final blow. Armor +1? Well you've done 4 damage, attack again and then X Marks the spot, or reposition then charge for blade rush + attack. Even if they're hard to wound, you just need to bank a focus to get that first severe.

Two) using his movement tricks to get through your enemy's tanks and kill their squishy models. Tired of that silent one in back healing every turn? Well now you can just push through and get it

I just feel like....we are a pretty shoot heavy crew. I think I can do those things decently well at range without devoting a mediocre 9ss to it to MAYBE kill them. To predator instinct, you need to have a positive on the attack. If you don't have that you cant predator instinct for the severe. But I mean, even if you do. That's 9ss, win the duel, cheat severe, and then win a second duel to kill a scheme runner that Cooper can 1 shot with his severe. His bonus is okay but most of your models that want to be in melee have hunting partner. You can also just ignore it using the adversary like you said. But to do all that, you need to spend so many actions and resources to do it.

Idk, it doesn't feel good spending 9 stones on him.

He is the guy you want on the middle of the enemies.

In the first turn you will concentrate and move. Even Cooper will foul-mouthed motivation to increase his Focus.

Next turn you'll charge and shoot declaring :mask to make an extra :ToS-Range: but with :+flip and use Focus + predatory instint to get a :+flip to duel and :+flip:+flip to damage, so you will deal severe and place him in contact. Then you make your :ToS-Fast: and make an :meleeattack and stay there with your armor 2 + soulstones to survive whilst Cooper and the others shoot the enemies.

Thats how i play, and he do a great job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belorey said:

He is the guy you want on the middle of the enemies.

In the first turn you will concentrate and move. Even Cooper will foul-mouthed motivation to increase his Focus.

Next turn you'll charge and shoot declaring :mask to make an extra :ToS-Range: but with :+flip and use Focus + predatory instint to get a :+flip to duel and :+flip:+flip to damage, so you will deal severe and place him in contact. Then you make your :ToS-Fast: and make an :meleeattack and stay there with your armor 2 + soulstones to survive whilst Cooper and the others shoot the enemies.

Thats how i play, and he do a great job.

I guess for me. I play against anti armor basically every game. Play into Guild mostly and I see Hoffman, Perdita, Rifleman, Agent 46, Peacekeeper, Joss and Melissa Kore quite often enough. So that armor 2 basically doesn't exist.

Blade rush, Mobile warrior and run and gun with Throw knife can easily all combine to give you 7 damage on 1 ap as long as you have :+flip - Charge through the model, thrown knife from the charge with a cheatable damage flip, cheat severe, move into base contact, and then avalanche of blades trigger for the twirling blades. 

It also has built in execute when working with the Rex. 

It is also in a keyword with a variety of defences, so you can probably avoid the worst anti armour. 

I think its a useful model in that it doesn't stand out, but it can deal with a wide range of foes with minimal difficulty. 

1 minute ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

I guess for me. I play against anti armor basically every game. Play into Guild mostly and I see Hoffman, Perdita, Rifleman, Agent 46, Peacekeeper, Joss and Melissa Kore quite often enough. So that armor 2 basically doesn't exist.

For sure anti armour is a problem, but we are speaking of a general situations. Every game has his optimal options. And most factions has not antiarmour.

Just now, touchdown said:

Oops with the hard to kill.

I do think he might just be a bad matchup into guild with their access easy access to both armor and anti-armor. While he'd go through Bayou, non-VS ressers, about half of Outcasts pretty easily

I'll chalk it up to my view of the game through a Majority Guild Opponent eyes, Lol. I definitely play the game and pick models differently when I play against majority the one faction. I gotta remember that when looking at things, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

Maybe you would face Rex instead of a model 9 so you would have anti armor but no a ruthless models. 😂

2 minutes ago, belorey said:

Maybe you would face Rex instead of a model 9 so you would have anti armor but no a ruthless models. 😂

To be fair! I play against a lot of manipulative models with nellie and lucius across from me, so Ruthless could help! 

4 minutes ago, Adran said:

Blade rush, Mobile warrior and run and gun with Throw knife can easily all combine to give you 7 damage on 1 ap as long as you have :+flip - Charge through the model, thrown knife from the charge with a cheatable damage flip, cheat severe, move into base contact, and then avalanche of blades trigger for the twirling blades. 

It also has built in execute when working with the Rex. 

It is also in a keyword with a variety of defences, so you can probably avoid the worst anti armour. 

I think its a useful model in that it doesn't stand out, but it can deal with a wide range of foes with minimal difficulty. 

You'd have to be pretty close already so that Model 9 can not be engaged when he throws knife after the charge. But I guess I see the point there. I guess I'm just used to Rezzer and Neverborn 9-10ss models.

I don't have much wisdom to offer here, but one thing I experience in a Seamus crew is that he is eating up all the severes, so I tend not to really want beaters that require me to put resources into them.

It is partially a playstyle thing, but you may be finding the same here. It may just be that you want more utility rather than another model that does good severe damage.

That said, one thing I don't think has been mentioned here is the mask trigger on X Marks the Spot is almost as good as leap. X Marks the Spot is also generating you cards, which is great (and gives a handy way to ignore friendly fire even for other models).

Another good sequence to note on the model is:

• X marks the spot for movement (card or stone for mask)
  • Charge/run and gun to throw knife (stone for mask)
  • Avalanche of Blades into another throw knife, this time with a plus (which you can use to get yourself severe damage).
  • And you've just done 5 damage (and placed Model 9 into base contact with) a model that was 13" away.

This isn't fantastic damage wise, but if you're considering tying up enemy models that you don't want to be doing things, then it is potentially very handy. For instance, if you did this to the Dead Rider in Ressers just before it wanted to pop its ultimate, it would be a nightmare.

You'd have to be pretty close already so that Model 9 can not be engaged when he throws knife after the charge. But I guess I see the point there. I guess I'm just used to Rezzer and Neverborn 9-10ss models.

Fair, but if you're within 8 you don't charge for the first action, you just shoot and jump to base contact, and attack. Then with the second Ap you can charge and either stay close for the melee or go where you like with the ranged attack. 

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Fair, but if you're within 8 you don't charge for the first action, you just shoot and jump to base contact, and attack. Then with the second Ap you can charge and either stay close for the melee or go where you like with the ranged attack. 

Gotcha. I'm definitely going to try him out, but the few times I've played armor 2 models (Coryphee in colette for example), I have learned I get very salty fast when they die fast and with my opponent having 1-2 anti armor basically every game just by accident....Its rough.

Gotcha. I'm definitely going to try him out, but the few times I've played armor 2 models (Coryphee in colette for example), I have learned I get very salty fast when they die fast and with my opponent having 1-2 anti armor basically every game just by accident....Its rough.

Whereas as a Ressers player, every time I see an armor two model on the table I cry a little xD

2 minutes ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

I would be careful if my opponent had announced perdita or Hoffman, and think twice about hiring it.

Apex is nice in that you don't have to have any fixed model, wherein corephyee are in almost all Colette lists I think. 

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

I would be careful if my opponent had announced perdita or Hoffman, and think twice about hiring it.

Apex is nice in that you don't have to have any fixed model, wherein corephyee are in almost all Colette lists I think. 

I think there are only 2 fixed models for me. A hopeful prospect and ullr. Everything else is pretty flexed.

I think there are only 2 fixed models for me. A hopeful prospect and ullr. Everything else is pretty flexed.

Effigy is a must for Cooper's extra move and healing. And in T3 would be Shielded, take the hit and healing aura or i've got your back.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:41 AM, belorey said:

Effigy is a must for Cooper's extra move and healing. And in T3 would be Shielded, take the hit and healing aura or i've got your back.

I think Artemis is enough extra move for Cooper. Intimidating Roar for 6", and Nimble means he can get Cooper most places easily enough.

Effigy is fine, but it's only once per for 4" (as opposed potentially 12" for Arty), and often enough will require a cheat (~37%) in a crew with mediocre in-Keyword card draw, whereas Arty is automatic if you relent.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

I think Artemis is enough extra move for Cooper. Intimidating Roar for 6", and Nimble means he can get Cooper most places easily enough.

Effigy is fine, but it's only once per for 4" (as opposed potentially 12" for Arty), and often enough will require a cheat (~37%) in a crew with mediocre in-Keyword card draw, whereas Arty is automatic if you relent.

You will rarely need to move Cooper more than once per turn with effigy. He has a 14" range shoot and you don't wanna get engaged.

Artemis is the best scheme runner of Apex so you are no gonna be on T2 or T3 around Cooper.

I'm not agree Cooper has a mediocre card draw. You got 3 runners who can give you 18 cards in a game, plus you have Vartagi (2 card each turn both). If you play with hopeful prospect you cicle a card each turn. And Cooper can draw a card when shooting. And with Model 9 you draw a card each time an enemy is killed within 2".

Maybe they are not the best crad draw keyword, but they are no mediocre if you compare with others.

What is really mediocre on Apex is the healing, you only have the Cooper's :ToS-Fast: that you don't wanna use. So Effigy/Emisary 3":aura for healing and shielded is pretty welcome.

I used Model 9 (aka Murderbot) in a game yesterday for the first time (and it was actually my first game with Apex) and Model 9 was a beast. I was a able to get a couple of focused on him early and over the course of 5 rounds he killed 3 models, including Nekima and Euripedes (my opponent was playing multi-master). With focus, adversary, and predatory instinct he can take advantage of an escalating damage track pretty easily. 

During the game he would generally use x marks the spot to give injured. Next charge and ping for 1 with blade rush. Then use stat 7 knife attack to throw a knife at the injured guy with adversary, stoning for the mask if I needed it. Free attack on a plus. Repeat. You have a great chance of hitting 4 times and likely seeing some flat or plus flips on damage depending on how you're using focus and predatory instinct. He was regularly doing 8-10 damage a turn that way. That stat 7 after you've just given injured usually means you're ~ +3 to the duel before flipping. He just doesn't miss much.  

Lord Cooper usually wasn't giving adversary to models he wanted to shoot but to models he wanted Model 9 to attack. 

Again - first game. Who know if that was indicative of Murderbot's long term potential. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

I also have Ullr who will flush them out Cooper to push him 4 and give him focus.

6 hours ago, Fluffaluffacus said:

I also have Ullr who will flush them out Cooper to push him 4 and give him focus.

Yeah, artemis + effigy are the both models Cooper want around him in T1/T2.

In mid game you have Emisary to protect Cooper from mele and you can use by your side with Urll to help Model 9/Malisaurus Rex on the Battle with his :-flipto damage you models and with extra shoot for Cooper.