Black blood can happen more than once per action?

Ludvig

Question

Black blood happens after a model suffers damage. That seems to be immediately after the event causing it. 

If an attack does damage in multiple steps that means I could cause black blood damage several times in one attack action? For an example see Mei's little forgeling that applies damage and burning and can then trigger to remove a burning for one point of damage. 

10 answers to this question

I think most people on the forums would say that the black blood will occur multiple times.

There's some indepth examinations/assumptions about how damage timing works with Black Blood which I won't dive into here, but I suspect the majority of people here would resolve black blood at step 5 of the initial damage, and at step 5 of the new damage. This results in multiple instances. You can read up on black blood timing on older posts.

I can think of two other cases/possible ways it would work at least, but the above is the most common view on the forums at the moment as far as I understand it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Black blood happens after a model suffers damage. That seems to be immediately after the event causing it. 

Yep.  If you had an action that just said:

Target suffers 1 damage.  Target suffers 1 damage.

that'll set Black Blood off in Damage Timing step 5 each time.

See also "I'm surrounded by Nephilim and Hayradden is shooting me with blasts!"  👻

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ogid said:

Don't worry, the only Nephillim useful for that tactic migrated to Outcast.

I think you underestimate how willing I would be to bleed my own crew to get ping damage on enemies. 😁

It's a pretty good trick for causing the last couple of wounds on a target with annoying defenses, especially if they have access to healing. Peacekeepers, riders and certain masters come to mind. The nephilim can't take a hit so I'd usually be dead in a single activation anyway, might as well go full glass cannon. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

I think you underestimate how willing I would be to bleed my own crew to get ping damage on enemies. 😁

It's a pretty good trick for causing the last couple of wounds on a target with annoying defenses, especially if they have access to healing. Peacekeepers, riders and certain masters come to mind. 

Haha. I'm not against bleeding your own crew (check this thread); but I'm in for doing it in an efficient way.

With Hayreddin if you can get a Moderate/Severe in his shootgun versus that model (friendly targets, no blasts), odds are you can also get moderate/severe damage in his mele; stonning for the trigger to get much higer damage (up to 6 plus 1 ping damage); and then use Black Blood Pustule with the Swift Action trigger for extra ping damage (or just use the BBP twice with the trigger for 4 ping damage, plus an extra point with his own Blood for Blood if he is in range)

• Like 1

If a Katashiro charges through a target getting Blade Rush, the target takes 1 damage because the action is the push through the target, not just the ability, triggers Black Blood.  Then the subsequent attack, if hits and damages, would trigger Black Blood again. 

N'est pas?

22 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

If a Katashiro charges through a target getting Blade Rush, the target takes 1 damage because the action is the push through the target, not just the ability, triggers Black Blood.  Then the subsequent attack, if hits and damages, would trigger Black Blood again. 

N'est pas?

There is about 50/50 disagreement on this, but I think that Blade Rush damage is from the ability (not the action), so doesn't trigger black blood (which is only on damage from actions/triggers).

Same as (I assume) black blood doesn't get reduced by incorporeal.

Same as (I assume) if you push a model through hazardous terrain, the hazardous terrain doesn't count as damage from an action.

• Agree 1