Bar..bar...bar.......Bar..bar..baros

Sol_Sorrowsong

Hello Outcasts,

I've been looking at how to bring the lone nephalim into my crews and I'm not seeing his use too much.  Perhaps he's better with others (I've heard of hamlin play), but I have Parker, Von Schill, and Zipp and would like to bring Barbaros along sometime because the alt. model is so cool.  

He's versitile and his card makes him seem fine as a lone warrior, while the keyword folk due their things, but I always opt for more keyword synergy and he remains shelved.

Anyone use him to good effect, especially in these crews?

Thanks!

There's a nice combo quite popular here in Russia: two BB Shamans which "cut each other to pieces" in presence of all the other crew, and everyone receives Focused +1 on each mask. Then, on 2nd turn, your Shamans turn to Mature Nephilims with 2-3 Focused each, and the rest of the gang also has plenty of those. Then the carnage begins.

This is mainly used in Neverborn, but nothing prevents you from taking Barbie as a leader, taking 2 shamans and several other henchmen/enforcers who could make use of a lot of Focused (*cough* Alyce, Hans, Hayreddin... *cough*).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In beta, I used him as a swerve Leader. 

You say Outcast and people have an idea what to do against you; then you announce Barbaros and those expectations fly out the window as you were not prepared for a crew of 2 Mature Nephelim and 4 Young Nephelim flying into your face.

Sadly, I had to give back the models I was borrowing from my Neverborn friend when official dropped.

4 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

So, what I'm hearing is not a lot of use outside the "Surprise! Nephalim attack!"  He can lead.

Can you run a henchman as a leader, and then hire a secondary master?

No. If you hire a henchman leader you can't hire a master (Page 42 of the electronic rules under Choose leader)

Edit

On topic, I haven't tried him but he is the sort of model I would strongly consider in some games. Regeneration, Armour, Challenge and Bring it as well as Black blood and Cage fighter make him pretty resilient whilst able to move the enemy about. He also has a potential 3 attacks with his built in shove aside. I would consider him in a cursed idols game as a model to threaten a couple of marker spots. Or in a turf war or reckoning game where I expected a large scrum. Obviously you'd need to be a little careful that he doesn't bleed on your own crew, but Challenge on a big :ToS-Melee:1 beater has the potential for him to do more damage to the beater than the beater does to him.

• Like 1

Remember, Henchmen as Leaders get 3 Actions, so Shove Aside would give you that 4th attack!

And I can see a good combo with him and Arik's Kinetic Amplifier, expensive but the results of first turn would be an awesome start.

6 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Remember, Henchmen as Leaders get 3 Actions, so Shove Aside would give you that 4th attack!

And I can see a good combo with him and Arik's Kinetic Amplifier, expensive but the results of first turn would be an awesome start.

True.

I wasn't thinking of him as leader, especially since some of his stuff works best when trying to protect other models from things like Assasinate.

Pick him if you need a macho between your crew and the other crew!

• Armor + Black Blood + Cage Fighter is an insane combo; attacking him is very dangerous. Plus he has 9 Wds and can use SS to reduce the damage.
  • His damage track is decent, he can even do 3 attacks versus clumped enemies (not as good as flurry, but close) and have Blood for blood for that extra ping damage if needed.
  • Between Shove Aside, Bring it and Challenge have some good utility and controling abilities.

So, yeah; basically if you need the above; a mix between crowd control, punch and tanking.

With Schill there is a little funny combo:

• Clockwork grenades hitting him and a model engaged with him; he will suffer only 1 damage and it'll trigger black blood.
  • Rocked Launcher: If you only get minimum damage, hit him with the blast for another point of extra ping damage to the models engaged with him.

Is dealing 0 damage actually doing damage, because I just thought of an awesome combo with Hamelin...

Malifaux Rats have a damage track of 0/1/1.  Hamelin has an action that makes all Rats in 6" push 3" then take an action.  If Barbaros is engaged already, every rat could charge Barbaros, relent, do minimum and trigger black blood on the model, or models, Barbaros is engaged with.

10 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Is dealing 0 damage actually doing damage, because I just thought of an awesome combo with Hamelin...

Malifaux Rats have a damage track of 0/1/1.  Hamelin has an action that makes all Rats in 6" push 3" then take an action.  If Barbaros is engaged already, every rat could charge Barbaros, relent, do minimum and trigger black blood on the model, or models, Barbaros is engaged with.

If a model suffers 0 damage, it is not considered to have suffered damage. (Page 24 electronic in the damage reduction section)

48 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Haha, that would had been funny! But even if it were legal, rats only have 2 Wds and aren't immune to BB, only 2 rats would be able to attack before paying the ultimate price.

What may work is: Use cheap models (ranged are better) like Bandidos or Desperate Mercenaries to attack him and trade wounds (extra points if Barbaros is engaged with 2+ enemy models, which may not be that hard with Shove aside and bring it); Those models aren't likely pass the flip versus enemy models; specially versus engaged enemy models.

1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:

Desperate Mercenary's absolutely pathetic min 1 ranged damage has a use... finally.

.... nope, still not wasting stones on them.

Imagine this: 3 enemy model nearish of each other. Barbaros charge, hit and uses the trigger to send that model flying next to another enemy, push 4'' and attack the other enemy; Barbaros positions in 1'' range of both of them. Then he uses bring it to make a third enemy go into b2b with him, that model hit him dealing 1 damage and triggering black blood (so 1 damage for those 3 models); then he uses his free action to trigger black blood again (another 1 damage for these 3 models).

In the next activation if these 3 enemies are engaged with Barbaros, 3 attacks from the desperate mercenary will lead to 9 total damage to those enemy models!! Desperate MVM! :P

It's not something that you can pull off each game, but the potential is there (and for Von Schill's crew with all their blasts and shockwaves, those stacked enemies are a gift)

4 hours ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

I thought you liked doing silly things?!

You were born for this!

I would rather use a Ronin.... Barbaros has Armor 1 so it makes no difference, and I can use them for useful things for the rest of the game.

13 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

I would rather use a Ronin.... Barbaros has Armor 1 so it makes no difference, and I can use them for useful things for the rest of the game.

Funnily enough the Desperate is better in this scenario, it has 2'' extra range in his :ranged and Rapid Fire for an extra shot.

20 hours ago, Ogid said:

With Schill there is a little funny combo:

• Clockwork grenades hitting him and a model engaged with him; he will suffer only 1 damage and it'll trigger black blood.
  • Rocked Launcher: If you only get minimum damage, hit him with the blast for another point of extra ping damage to the models engaged with him.

On top of that, you might also actually get some mileage out of the mine fields, since you can try and position them so that Barbaros can knock models into some explosive fun. :)

30 minutes ago, Erorior said:

On top of that, you might also actually get some mileage out of the mine fields, since you can try and position them so that Barbaros can knock models into some explosive fun. :)

Or even lure people through/on top of mine fields!

39 minutes ago, Erorior said:

"Bring it" a model into a mine field, let them take damage. They attack you (from bring it), they take damage, then you attack them and push them away, they take damage.  That's before you add in potentially 2 from Black blood (assuming they hit you during the bring it action). that's 5 points of 1 damage and the damage flip from the attack, with you still able to move barbaros and hit someone else (from the shove aside trigger).

That's pretty efficient damage levels.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Adran said:

"Bring it" a model into a mine field, let them take damage. They attack you (from bring it), they take damage, then you attack them and push them away, they take damage.  That's before you add in potentially 2 from Black blood (assuming they hit you during the bring it action). that's 5 points of 1 damage and the damage flip from the attack, with you still able to move barbaros and hit someone else (from the shove aside trigger).

That's pretty efficient damage levels.

Von Schill is losing money not hiring him! :D

That minefield trick seems neat (good point the Bring it and the attack are 2 different actions, it would trigger twice the Hazardous!). But it needs either a unimpeded enemy model or Barbaros positioned right in the edge of the minefield (so the other model doesn't need to get too deep into the mines to attack him).

If a model have to cross the entire 50mm severe marker during the "bring it", it will run out movement before reaching him.

You do need to be a little careful on the minefield placement, and get the barbaros placement right, but you can control those. A carefully lined up option can restrict the movement by only an inch or less if you have the minefield right by Barbaros and only a thin sliver on the path they would walk. (I think,  circle geometry in my head only get s me so far).

Move +2 is normally 6" or 7" If the Mine is directly between the two just short of touching Barbaros, the model needs to get to with in 1" of Barbaros for Black blood to matter, so it needs to travel through less than 1 " of the terrain (so allow 2 inches of movement). That means that you can make it work on models within move +1 of Barbaros, which is still a relatively large group.

IF you'd want to take it even further (albeit being more of a one trick pony and much harder to set up) you could also include Rusty Alyce to scatter som pit traps around and play the mini game of throwing as many enemy models as possible into closely placed mines+pit traps. :P