Who to 'solo play' first - Sonnia or Lady J?

HowNot2Wargame

So I have been playing through all of the guild crews during beta, and it's come down to me thinking that if I just want to play one crew and learn it inside out, its either Lady J or Sonnia.   I can't decide so please help me choose.

Which one would you use if you could only play one of them into any strat and scheme pool, and why?

I have played 2 games as Lady, but 10ish as Sonnia. 

Guess who I am suggesting?

Sonnia's pool is nice. Even tho Samael is still a bit letdown to my eyes, Handler giving some speed to totem is just 19' burning 1 threat. And totem is living bomb to engage and annoy in Turf, where you need to interact in turn 1-2. Thralls with LLC are a meatwagon too. 

Queller has 1 good ability, Witchfire. Having withling in combat gives good rockbottom to Sonnia's summonings, but over all Queller is only cheap booster to Sanctioned Spellcaster (which I autoinclude to turf because fast turn 1 is just maaaaad). Maybe i just dont see Quellers potentiality. 

Marshals are amazing, but mostly for Judge and Lady herself. Judge is one of the few reasons which keeps other factions alerted, along with J. Reichart; 3 cards in 1 activation, sweet damage and over all strong performance. Would run him almost any crew for 11ss. Not maybe best, but never a bad pick. 

Death marshals are interesting and suprisingly strong, if you have Recruiter and Cadavere, you have some Hating for the dead and many guys in boxes. But Marshals are pretty dull; they go in, they hit hard and if opponent hits harder, they die. H2W for almost every model is sick tho. I personally did not find happines from running to face and hitting 'em down. 

Sonnia gives you funny mob pool, or more henchier huntdown party with Palerider/Reichart (sonnia can shoot to Reicharts bring it-trigger, 1 more reason to run Reichart in Family crew). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PesuMajava said:

Queller has 1 good ability, Witchfire. Having withling in combat gives good rockbottom to Sonnia's summonings, but over all Queller is only cheap booster to Sanctioned Spellcaster (which I autoinclude to turf because fast turn 1 is just maaaaad). Maybe i just dont see Quellers potentiality

I like Sam, personally, but he does require support. Queller's are the only Witch Hunter model I can't see a reason to take. They need to be close to the enemy to be useful, but don't have a :meleeattack. They also don't have Witchfire (That's the Handler)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

I like Sam, personally, but he does require support. Queller's are the only Witch Hunter model I can't see a reason to take. They need to be close to the enemy to be useful, but don't have a :meleeattack. They also don't have Witchfire (That's the Handler)

Yes, you right. Queller had that burning 3-thingie. Makes that model far worse. 

I would love to like Sam, but atm he is not worth his soulstones imo. Rather I go 2 Thralls+LLC's and Handler 

1 minute ago, PesuMajava said:

Yes, you right. Queller had that burning 3-thingie. Makes that model far worse. 

I would love to like Sam, but atm he is not worth his soulstones imo. Rather I go 2 Thralls+LLC's and Handler 

Here's what I like the Queller for: The rapid action.  When I pull off a summon with Sonnia the summoned model gets burning automatically.  That model also isn't allowed to interact that turn.  Buuuuut, the queller lets me drop a scheme marker off of the summoned model and put out the burning in one action, usually on my opponent's side of the board.  

Other than that they are kinda meh.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Here's what I like the Queller for: The rapid action.  When I pull off a summon with Sonnia the summoned model gets burning automatically.  That model also isn't allowed to interact that turn.  Buuuuut, the queller lets me drop a scheme marker off of the summoned model and put out the burning in one action, usually on my opponent's side of the board.  

Other than that they are kinda meh.

If I ever manage to pull off a Summon with Sonnia, I'll bear that in mind.  I've only either played fireproof nonsense or really cautious players so I haven't managed it yet!

7 hours ago, PesuMajava said:

Handler giving some speed to totem is just 19' burning 1 threat.

How are you speeding up her totem with the Handler? Pretty sure the Handler's Aura doesn't apply to the Purifying flame, because it's an enforcer.

The card says- Goad Witchling: Friendly Witchling Minions that Activate within (6) gain +2 Mv until the end of their Activation.

The only thing I see that affects the Purifying Flame is her defensive trigger, since Consolidate Power is minion specific as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

That's wild to me.  I summon every game with them 

To be fair, I've only actually played four (beta) games.  The first was against a Dreamer crew where Sonnia got double-teamed by a Teddy and Lord Chompy Bits so didn't survive long enough to do much.  The second and third were both against Sandeep and it turns out you can't set Fire Elementals on fire (well, you can, but it doesn't actually do anything useful in terms of damage)!

And the last game was against Zoraida that was very slow and only lasted two rounds and I couldn't get enough Burning on models because of all the Stealth and being Obeyed away to die moving Corrupted Idols!

I do have my first proper M3E game lined up for Saturday though which is likely going to be against a Guild crew or Mei Feng, so there's a chance something can get Burned to death then!

6 hours ago, SNDWV said:

How are you speeding up her totem with the Handler? Pretty sure the Handler's Aura doesn't apply to the Purifying flame, because it's an enforcer.

The card says- Goad Witchling: Friendly Witchling Minions that Activate within (6) gain +2 Mv until the end of their Activation.

Yea, you right. Was it "Withling model" before, not sure. 

Good to have people doublechecking my partial nonsense. Only guild player around my area, so things go often off the radar. 

On 7/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, PesuMajava said:

Yea, you right. Was it "Withling model" before, not sure. 

Good to have people doublechecking my partial nonsense. Only guild player around my area, so things go often off the radar. 

I think you're right about it being Witchling Model before, I made the same mistake early on. Which is a bummer mid-game when you realize you can't quite reach that scheme in time after all lol.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, theamazingmrg said:

I do have my first proper M3E game lined up for Saturday though which is likely going to be against a Guild crew or Mei Feng, so there's a chance something can get Burned to death then!

I wasn't wrong. Something did get Burned to Death. Or should I say everything got Burned to death. I managed to kill everything and win 5-4 (3 for Plant Explosives, and 1 each for my Schemes: Power Ritual and Hold Up Their Forces).

I even managed to summon a Witchling Stalker and kill Mei Feng with my last action which would have summoned a Thrall if the game had continued.

Fun times. Now to pick a new Master for my next game, whenever that will be.

I stand by my recommendation for Sonnia as a great choice for a new player. Burn all the things!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

I wasn't wrong. Something did get Burned to Death. Or should I say everything got Burned to death. I managed to kill everything and win 5-4 (3 for Plant Explosives, and 1 each for my Schemes: Power Ritual and Hold Up Their Forces).

I even managed to summon a Witchling Stalker and kill Mei Feng with my last action which would have summoned a Thrall if the game had continued.

Fun times. Now to pick a new Master for my next game, whenever that will be.

I stand by my recommendation for Sonnia as a great choice for a new player. Burn all the things!

Everything must BURN!!!! :D

• Like 1