Playing against absynnia

4thstringer

So far I've played 2 games against burning man, which went well.  I also played one against absynnia, trying out a fairly elite list and it was disaster.  I had the frenzy, the alpha crawler, 2 eggs, and a kark squad. My opponent sniped out my eggs with 36" no Los shots, and the frenzy and alpha crawler were basically useless against the elite box squads of absynnia.  They were easily reinforcing faster than I could kill them.  I know my list wasn't a good match, but even so that was discouraging. Any advice?

Best thing you can do is get into their faces ASAP and mess with them that way.  Remember that Tide Pools give you cover if any LOS lines cross them too.  The Frenzy being able to use Nipping At Their Heels 4x in an activation means you should be able to shove a big chunk of your Company 12" forward, and taking Shark Tooth Necklaces means they can't punish them with Area attacks.  You'll outnumber them easily, just throw your clumps of models into their gunlines and clog them up.

In my opinion, deploying eggs is worthless. If your karkinois summon them its fine. But when you count the scrip cost it is always best to hire speckled crawlers. They are the core of GH reinforcement mechanics. Hell, if you summon some eggs i recommend to use spawning moon to summon additional speckled crawlers and flip all of them to glory asap. They are cheap, good tarpit, and RTs generators.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2018 at 7:54 AM, 4thstringer said:

So far I've played 2 games against burning man, which went well.  I also played one against absynnia, trying out a fairly elite list and it was disaster.  I had the frenzy, the alpha crawler, 2 eggs, and a kark squad. My opponent sniped out my eggs with 36" no Los shots, and the frenzy and alpha crawler were basically useless against the elite box squads of absynnia.  They were easily reinforcing faster than I could kill them.  I know my list wasn't a good match, but even so that was discouraging. Any advice?

I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but you're playing an elite GH crew against a faction that is known for being elite, and I think that might be part of the problem. GH's biggest strengths are weight of numbers in an attrition game and being able to close the distance fast, for either killing or getting objectives.

I would suggest that even KE would prove to be hard to deal with with the crew composition you had because they would also be reaching out and knocking stuff down from 36" away.

One of the things that Alpha Crawlers and the Frenzy do that helps elite shooting out is they make great targets for precise shooting. Some of the most dangerous shooters Earthside aren't allowed to kill more than one model, but their shots will never get handed off to nearby models. Karkinoi having multiple models per base aren't going to be targeted by sniping elements as often, which really helps me with my targeting priorities. When my opponent fields multiple squads that have multi-model fireteams, and those teams are moving forward to do work, my targeting priorities are not as cut and dry as they would be if it were just a single model roaring up the field. That railgunner isn't going to have quite as much of an impact on Striped Skulkers or Speckled Crawlers as it has on the Alpha Crawler or a member of the Frenzy.

Bring the numbers that matter. Having something that can act as a hammer is great, and Frenzy/Alpha Crawler/Karkinoi will do good things for you in a two commander game, but in a one commander game you're missing pieces of the GH pie that get operation work done. If the Karkinoi are laying eggs, they're not surging forward for objectives or interference. If the Alpha Crawler is being a Distraction Carnifex or hammer, it needs some support. In both of those cases, you need cheap little gribblies that can come back every turn (for the cost of a Tactics Token) that will help with both of those needs: they're moving forward, helping get position to score and providing some pressure/support to keep the Aby/KE player from being able to focus fire.
Canny deployment and making use of cover/terrain will make the gribblies harder to budge than their statline would normally indicate, potentially neutering the ranged abilities of both of the major Earth factions. With Tide Pool placement, you can even dictate lanes that are closed to your opponent but open to you.

Played 3 games against aby and lost all three. I think its more to us learning the game but a couple of ideas and stuff ive learned from my mistakes.

Alpha crawler is a no take option. They are an elite force so giving them a huge 10 point model to shoot with def 3 is going to end badly. Top that off with them going to glory much easier off of it.

Dont hire eggs unless youre going first and even then it should only be a single egg. Your first activation needs yo use it by either spawning moon or eating it. They are too easy to snipe and easy to give glory.

Take the upgrade which passes out shaken for any drawn mask card. It costs 1 and youre going to get to hand out shaken like candy.

Electrocutioners are gross and need to be taken down immediately. With the card draw mechanics and the strat which gives them a 15, they can remove 3 markers a turn (objectives, tide pools). If he only takes a single unit give all shaken to them so you can burn the shaken on their gigawat ability. My most recent game he removed all three of my scavenge markers turn 1. Clawed my way back to 6-8 from 0-5 turn 1.

Pick your stratagems carefully. 

Steel legion, if you can kill the cutter before they activate.. do it. That pulls most of the teeth out of their extra actions.

Frenzy teleporting with the tidal sceptor is always a fun surprise.

1 hour ago, Pergli said:

Take the upgrade which passes out shaken for any drawn mask card. It costs 1 and youre going to get to hand out shaken like candy.

This is a big one, even if you never give out a single ST you still get to see every card they draw during the activation phase which against Abyssinia will be huge.

17 minutes ago, retnab said:

This is a big one, even if you never give out a single ST you still get to see every card they draw during the activation phase which against Abyssinia will be huge.

yup, being able to know exactly what they are capable of is insane. There are quite a few times where you can decide not to cheat as the attacker because you know they don't have the card in their hand.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

May be I am late, may be not, i have just played my 3rd game against aby, and it was the 3rd victory. And i'll tell you why.

I like to utilize storsiren. She does not look povereful, but she is able to deal devastating amounts of damage to the enemy. She can lure 2 diffetet squads tlo tidepools, and when they move- they sink to death. So, with 8 av pn the lure and may be focuser effort for inspire we beat defence of aby elite forces with no troble. Hazard is amasing! 

Aby also used gas fields, they are fair, but tidepools with stormsiren kill enemies faster. 

Oh, and i fprgot to mention that i like not to spend tactics tokens on cards, but to keep them, so that my opponent has no hope to kill my syrena. 

The hardest operation was "set traps", in case i was forced to go throw aby's hazards to make it to anpther half of the board. And i like yarasy, too. They are a great finither to kill a fireteam wich was lured to the pool.

I do not use alpha crawler without at least 2 units of specled crawlers, because it has to be charged with reinforcement tokens. Without them it is worse then any other titan. 

All in all, in my opinion gibbers have enough pover to destroy aby forces. Just remember that all your units serve only 1 purpuse: be killed to make your heroes live.)

• 1 month later...