Has anyone tried a doxy with the jury? How did it go?

4thstringer

So I was looking at the dead doxy, inspired by Gnomeys story of facing doxy spam, and I noticed that the trigger to put the opposing model on negatives is a mask trigger.  Since I like jury in perdita crews anyways, I decided to make a list that uses this.  I also put in Santiago, figuring putting the opposing model on negatives flips is almost as good as +2 sh.  I figured I might not have to beat Santiago half to death in order for him to contribute, and once he is beat all up using the doxy to push him or an enemy should be even better.

Has anyone tried this?  

7 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Sounds pretty card intensive. It could be a good back-pocket play but not something I'd count on.

Doxy's a pretty solid model anyway. That push in a Perdita crew is less meaningful, but for Sonnia or J it could be fun...

Very true about perdita.  I might switch that part.

I'm thinking something like this:

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: lj doxy 50ss 
Leader: Lady Justice - Cache:(4)
   Swordfighter 1ss 
   Vendetta 2ss 
Scales of Justice 3ss 
The Jury 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
Santiago Ortega 7ss 
   A Debt To The Guild 1ss 
Nino Ortega 7ss 
   Hair Trigger 1ss 
Guild Investigator 6ss 
Dead Doxy 6ss 

12 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm thinking something like this:

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: lj doxy 50ss 
Leader: Lady Justice - Cache:(4)
   Swordfighter 1ss 
   Vendetta 2ss 
Scales of Justice 3ss 
The Jury 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
Santiago Ortega 7ss 
   A Debt To The Guild 1ss 
Nino Ortega 7ss 
   Hair Trigger 1ss 
Guild Investigator 6ss 
Dead Doxy 6ss 

what was the pool? I understand you were wanting to test out the Doxy idea but looking at the list there are just some really odd choices there I almost never see with Lady J. It almost looks like a hybrid Perdita Ply list but then I would rather have a Rotten Belle than a Doxy if I was using the Domador and bringing in a Resser minion. 

It started as a perdita list.  I switched it to lj after admiral V's suggestion above, and because ply was in the pool so I wanted to try to pulse off ply in his whole crew (that's been a goal for a while, have always been too busy killing to do it).  The rest of the pool I wasn't specifically building for but it was public demo, vendetta (I did Santiago on Nekima before realizing what mimics blessing does), search the ruins, surround them, and hold up their forces.). My opponent had a list with collodi, Nekima, effigies, those bag of rot puppets, and marionettes.

I think the belle is the preferred minion, but during my game I could see the potential of the Santiago/jury/doxy attack.  Mimics blessing on Nekima put a stop to it though.  Also, I wouldn't do it with lj, as she is pretty card hungry too.

I don’t know...... don’t mean to be the voice of dissension but it seams like a lot of effort to make sub par choices work with resource intensive masters instead of just taking more self sufficient better models.

in this case I know a lot of people love the Jury but I almost never take her. For the points I can get Phiona who comes stock with hard to kill, unimpeded, and plus flips against models that have already activated. 

The “main” thing she is giving you is the Masks for your other models to get their triggers. Getting the masks requires discarding when pretty much all the masters and good models in Guild already want your good cards and rapid fires, flurries, and passing activations with Nellie are usually better candidates for your bad cards. 

Unless you are going family heavy for Ply I generally think there are better choices than Santiago too. In this list you have Jury, Santiago, Domador, and a Doxy plus possible upgrades where usually I think you could just get more mileage with Phiona, Monster Hunters, and whatever. Now at the end the discussion is getting the Doxy killed to make Perdita fast....when the Domador cost 7 and the Doxy cost 6 for a total of 13 SS. At this point just buy the Student (which most people always argue is a terrible and overcosted choice) and the Judge or Phiona and just call it a day.

No offense intended, just seems like much ado about nothing.

2 hours ago, thewrathchilde said:

I don’t know...... don’t mean to be the voice of dissension but it seams like a lot of effort to make sub par choices work with resource intensive masters instead of just taking more self sufficient better models.

in this case I know a lot of people love the Jury but I almost never take her. For the points I can get Phiona who comes stock with hard to kill, unimpeded, and plus flips against models that have already activated. 

The “main” thing she is giving you is the Masks for your other models to get their triggers. Getting the masks requires discarding when pretty much all the masters and good models in Guild already want your good cards and rapid fires, flurries, and passing activations with Nellie are usually better candidates for your bad cards. 

Unless you are going family heavy for Ply I generally think there are better choices than Santiago too. In this list you have Jury, Santiago, Domador, and a Doxy plus possible upgrades where usually I think you could just get more mileage with Phiona, Monster Hunters, and whatever. Now at the end the discussion is getting the Doxy killed to make Perdita fast....when the Domador cost 7 and the Doxy cost 6 for a total of 13 SS. At this point just buy the Student (which most people always argue is a terrible and overcosted choice) and the Judge or Phiona and just call it a day.

No offense intended, just seems like much ado about nothing.

No offense taken, trust me.  I probably run more not good and overly complex crews in a month than most people do in a year.  I'm the poster child for rube Goldberg lists that fall apart upon starting the fight.    

I disagree about a few things you said about the jury, but I talked about her in the wave 5 review, so I won't belabor that here.  I will say the masks aren't the most important thing about her, just the most interesting from a "what can I turn on" point of view.  

The whole combo is probably to heavy on card eating, especially since every guild master is card intensive.  It's one of the reasons the investigator and the scales were both in that list.  

After the game, me and my opponent talked about how a list with less jank would have been a win with less risk, but damn if I don't get bored to tears of frank after a while.  

I intend to run the jury, domador, doxy thing again, maybe even with Santiago.  I probably won't pull it off, but if I do, it will be glorious.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

A projectile with mod 4 seems like an attack you would often want to focus when shooting into soft cover.

Yep.  And the Bone Pile is restricted to one javelin attack per turn, so Focus would help make the most of it.  He's worth his points anyways; frustrating to kill by 6-point model standards, fairly mobile and can count as 12 points in Ours.  He can make a sneaky run at a Resser player if they happen to leave any corpses lying around their deployment zone.  Or if Somer starts shanking bros left and right on turn one.

• Like 1

4thstringer:  I've found that having fewer models who needs masks works better with the Jury.  Between Lady J, Santiago, and the Doxy (plus maybe others) you might have a hard time keeping everyone close enough to make use of the pitched cards ( also your hand will get small fast!)

I usually take 1-2 models for the Jury to assist:  Lady J and a Recruiter, Perdita and Santiago (or something else ;) )  There are several others I'd like to try before 3rd edition lands.

• Like 1