Is Kimon purely comprised of Oni?

Question is exactly what the title says, in the current game there are more than just Japanese creatures that are posing a challenge, with creatures from other mythologies making appearances. My question is whether Kimon is going to be comprised solely of Oni, or if western Demons, assorted mythological creatures, as well as Indian, Korean, or Chinese spirits will also make appearances. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

I am in the campaign, and an Indian spirit makes an appearance at one point. 

And Banasuva and Kandara are in the Malifaux wargame, with origins in India.  For that matter, there's an Oni model in the Malifaux game called "Yokai."

The decisions for the RPG and for Malifaux don't necessarily have anything to do with the decisions for The Other Side's Factions (or the model's for those factions that get produced).

• Like 1

At the moment I'm assuming that the Kimon would all be Japanese mythology Oni.

As per Asami's story the Obsidian Gate is located in Japan, and "Kimon" translates to "Demons Gate" in Japanese. Asami herself links the Oni in Malifaux with the Obsidian Gate in Japan, and all of the Oni represented in Malifaux thus far have had origins in Japanese folklore.

So based on the above, it seems a pretty safe bet that all of the characters in the Kimon Allegiance will be Oni or at least be rooted in Japanese folklore. Having non-Japanese spirits in the TTB Campaign is certainly interesting though (I've not read anything from the campaign, mind you). It might mean the Kimon allegiance will draw from more cultures than just Japan. Or it may mean nothing at all. :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wyrd have never really let historical accuracy get in the way of their designs.

After all, in Wyrds world Cyclops, a Greek myth, are Fae. Also Bultungin, South African Lycans, are Fae.

Also, Oni are actually a type of Yokai. In Wyrds world, Yokai are a specific type of Oni.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kimon ended up being a melting pot of Asian demons/monsters/etc in general.

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:17 AM, -Loki- said:

Wyrd have never really let historical accuracy get in the way of their designs.

After all, in Wyrds world Cyclops, a Greek myth, are Fae. Also Bultungin, South African Lycans, are Fae.

Also, Oni are actually a type of Yokai. In Wyrds world, Yokai are a specific type of Oni.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kimon ended up being a melting pot of Asian demons/monsters/etc in general.

Also the Cyclopes are ice themed and use runic magic. Why, exactly, aren't they trolls? 

Side note, I've been to Greece and morbidly obese ice giants would not be happy there. 😓

On 5/12/2018 at 1:17 AM, -Loki- said:

Yeah, it's more of a melting pot.

We've definitely got some Chinese stuff mixed in with the Japanese stuff.