Old Cranky

DanteJH

I think that's the biggest problem with him, majority of our masters do want to hire their respective totems.

Sommer has pull my finger skeeters for 2ss each

Ophelia needs the young for upgrade attaching

Brewmaster needs his wesley for more aura de-buffs and powerful come to life ability

Wong gets free card cycle mechanic from attendant and an irresistible push

Mah has Lass attach free upgrade/ drop pittraps

Ulix has discount totem that controls the pigs if needed.

Zip can carry his significant totem for some speedy scheme dropping.

6 minutes ago, PolishSausage said:

I think that's the biggest problem with him, majority of our masters do want to hire their respective totems.

Sommer has pull my finger skeeters for 2ss each

Ophelia needs the young for upgrade attaching

Brewmaster needs his wesley for more aura de-buffs and powerful come to life ability

Wong gets free card cycle mechanic from attendant and an irresistible push

Mah has Lass attach free upgrade/ drop pittraps

Ulix has discount totem that controls the pigs if needed.

Zip can carry his significant totem for some speedy scheme dropping.

Hence why I don’t use him but I know some madmen swear by him and I want to hear from them but yes, I will mention that by doing so you cut off the upgrade cycling which I just can’t recommend. I think he still has play with Wong, Ulix and to a lesser extent mah but I think the info should still be on the tactica because some do swear by him

Ophelia is the master I use him with the most. I tend toward the young LaCroix for when I need activation control or when I'm running kin-heavy lists, but old cranky is great with in his own way. In a game where I feel like Ophelia is going to be targeted, he comes with me for the wp buff, df + and the ability to gain ss when I kill models with Ophelia (she's very good at taking a hefty model a turn, compared to Wong blowing up large amounts of small models, or Mah chasing scheme runners) this extra ss a turn let's me play Ophelia a bit more recklessly since I can plink 2 dmg with her upgrade and then ss prevent any dmg that's leftover. He's also a great choice to bring when Sammy is in the crew because he can cycle a card with his 0 and she can get a free cycle as well. The main problem I find with him is that he telegraphs where I'll move my kill model since I have to move old cranky there first. Ophelia doesn't have this problem since she can ooh a girl to pull him to her side.

1 minute ago, Finalscene said:

Ophelia is the master I use him with the most. I tend toward the young LaCroix for when I need activation control or when I'm running kin-heavy lists, but old cranky is great with in his own way. In a game where I feel like Ophelia is going to be targeted, he comes with me for the wp buff, df + and the ability to gain ss when I kill models with Ophelia (she's very good at taking a hefty model a turn, compared to Wong blowing up large amounts of small models, or Mah chasing scheme runners) this extra ss a turn let's me play Ophelia a bit more recklessly since I can plink 2 dmg with her upgrade and then ss prevent any dmg that's leftover. He's also a great choice to bring when Sammy is in the crew because he can cycle a card with his 0 and she can get a free cycle as well.

Thanks for the info! I’ll add it to the tactica!

the only real option is if you take him with zoraida.

Zoraida has to pay heavy tax for swampfiends from neverborn. Making wicker doll schtick more expensive.

This allows her to be more "gunliny" and focus on obeying enemies.

It also allows you to protect Z a bit, get more card cycle and abuse "obey" on slug trigger if you have the crows.

Again, looking at his stat card he is there for Lenny to buff each other auras, but in effect he is a 4ss that will be sniped off the table T1 by Hans.

• Agree 1

personally I prefer old cranky with Ophelia and Wong and sometimes with Somer. Never take him with Mah, Zipp or Brewmaster and I don't play Ulix or Gremaida.

Generally he is a massive buff to any model within :ToS-Aura:3 of him. Somer, Wong and Ophelia can easily vaporize a model a turn getting you back soul stones. He can cycle a card and his gun isn't bad. He also isn't insignificant so can interact.

In paticular

Somer: So you lose out on 1 activation hiring him. The skeeters are great for extending Do it like Dis (and potentially getting around Somer BJing it on his turn) and the turn off triggers can destroy models that depend on triggers like Colette or Gremlins. With summon somer though a lot of models are already huddling together letting you really benefit from Cranky's range. 

Wong: Personally I don't like his totem. The looking at 4 cards I find doesn't matter with Gremlin's luck and a lot of time I bring Burt who also can cracker jack timing the opponent. 

Ophelia: I personally find her gun upgrades pretty meh. I also really like taking generic upgrades with her that she can't load during the game and you have to pay for anyways. Usually start her with dirty cheater and liquid bravery and use 1 AP to get metal-lined coat during the first turn. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

personally I prefer old cranky with Ophelia and Wong and sometimes with Somer. Never take him with Mah, Zipp or Brewmaster and I don't play Ulix or Gremaida.

Generally he is a massive buff to any model within :ToS-Aura:3 of him. Somer, Wong and Ophelia can easily vaporize a model a turn getting you back soul stones. He can cycle a card and his gun isn't bad. He also isn't insignificant so can interact.

In paticular

Somer: So you lose out on 1 activation hiring him. The skeeters are great for extending Do it like Dis (and potentially getting around Somer BJing it on his turn) and the turn off triggers can destroy models that depend on triggers like Colette or Gremlins. With summon somer though a lot of models are already huddling together letting you really benefit from Cranky's range. 

Wong: Personally I don't like his totem. The looking at 4 cards I find doesn't matter with Gremlin's luck and a lot of time I bring Burt who also can cracker jack timing the opponent. 

Ophelia: I personally find her gun upgrades pretty meh. I also really like taking generic upgrades with her that she can't load during the game and you have to pay for anyways. Usually start her with dirty cheater and liquid bravery and use 1 AP to get metal-lined coat during the first turn. 

You give up all the 0 actions, Ophelia’s survivability goes down, you lose the junk makers which means you lose healing, movement and scheme markers, you lose activations, you lose soulstone efficiency because you buy the upgrades and ap efficiency because you lose the activations. I can understand with Wong and somer though

• Agree 1

Wong's totem is crap and i prefer taking Old Cranky instead. Combine him with Glowy Tavish and you have super-dirty combo: Cranky walks and drops scheme marker + cycles bad card and then Tavish push to scheme marker getting extra 1AP to attack and after that shoots twice. With range 14'', ignoring cover, not randomizing when shooting into engagement, ignoring lots of def techs thanks to glowy and having min damage of 3 it is a sin not taking cheap Cranky. And if Tavish kills something (which happens often) you get extra SS a turn.

Cranky is great totem as he is cheap, significant, he boosts nearby models. Really solid model.

Cranky is Wong's totem, the cycling combos with Sami LaCroix who usually caries glowwy. His main selling point for me is the fact he drops a marker aswell, means that Wong can pick it up with his zero for scheming or cranky sits with MCtavish giving him gator snakc and refilling your soul stones when MCtavish kills something.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, DanteJH said:

You give up all the 0 actions, Ophelia’s survivability goes down, you lose the junk makers which means you lose healing, movement and scheme markers, you lose activations, you lose soulstone efficiency because you buy the upgrades and ap efficiency because you lose the activations. I can understand with Wong and somer though

it's a different way of playing.

I don't go very kin heavy with Ophelia and all her gun 0 actions are kin only. Most of the time I'm using oooo a girl or shooting with her eyes closed which are both on her card. I would argue her survivability goes up with +1WP and :+flipto DF. She can still reload herself for plink upgrades (which I will admit is more AP then if the Young did it for her) and if you want junk markers (she can't actually use the junk markers herself so she doesn't get healing from them). Generally I only use reload on her for metal lined coat and using 1AP for instinctual and potential +2 armor I don't consider a bad use of her AP. 

You do lose out on 1 activation. You only lose out of soulstone efficiency if you don't buy any generic upgrades (which I usually start the game with 1 or 2 depending on opponents faction). 

You're pretty much trading: +1WP, :+flipto DF, card cycling and ability to generate soul stones, possibility to drop scheme markers

for: 1 extra activation, more master AP, more opportunities to Plink and more flexible attack action (though they get 1SH attack opposed to old cranky shooting twice and if they use the gun it hurts Ophelia's defense). 

personally I would be more interested in Young LaCroix if Ophelia's guns were better / didn't limit her upgrades so much and if there were more generic kin models not competing for :rams. 

21 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

it's a different way of playing.

I don't go very kin heavy with Ophelia and all her gun 0 actions are kin only. Most of the time I'm using oooo a girl or shooting with her eyes closed which are both on her card. I would argue her survivability goes up with +1WP and :+flipto DF. She can still reload herself for plink upgrades (which I will admit is more AP then if the Young did it for her) and if you want junk markers (she can't actually use the junk markers herself so she doesn't get healing from them). Generally I only use reload on her for metal lined coat and using 1AP for instinctual and potential +2 armor I don't consider a bad use of her AP. 

You do lose out on 1 activation. You only lose out of soulstone efficiency if you don't buy any generic upgrades (which I usually start the game with 1 or 2 depending on opponents faction). 

You're pretty much trading: +1WP, :+flipto DF, card cycling and ability to generate soul stones, possibility to drop scheme markers

for: 1 extra activation, more master AP, more opportunities to Plink and more flexible attack action (though they get 1SH attack opposed to old cranky shooting twice and if they use the gun it hurts Ophelia's defense). 

personally I would be more interested in Young LaCroix if Ophelia's guns were better / didn't limit her upgrades so much and if there were more generic kin models not competing for :rams. 

Yeah, I definitely think that in the next errata she should have extra slots for her named upgrades that jack saw for his curses. You actually miss out on 2 activation as you can take 3 young and their issue I have with cranky is that you have to drag him around. I admit it’s easy with Ooo, a girl but I’d rather be tugging someone else. I do understand why you take him but I prefer the cycling playstyle. To each his own and thanks for the help on the tactics!

5 minutes ago, DanteJH said:

You actually miss out on 2 activation as you can take 3 young

I was just counting up to old cranky's cost.

4SS for him vs 4SS for 2 young. You can hire a 3rd for 6SS or get old cranky + bayou for 7SS or old cranky and more upgrades ect depending what you want.

• Thanks 1

if anything learned from running 6x stuffed at 12 stones for 2 years is that activation control is king.

atk value of 4 is very powerful, especially on young who cycle out min3 dmg attack with no LOS required ( and shoot it)

I do agree that Ophelia one and only weakness is the 3 upgrade restriction, I wish she was in line with Jack Daw, as to get +1-2 "special" upgrade slots.

also on the "ha ha's" she is HT1 which is a HUUGE negative, especially if someone swallows you whole.

• Like 1

I think old cranky is awesome with ulix and a samy with a bow. It increases your card draw very well and he gets carried around with a saddle. Super useful for low wp piggies and big pigs with lower df.

I also like using him with wong and standing close to swine cursed or a tavish.

• Agree 1

I have used cranky with ulix quite a bit. it is nice that he counts in 'ours' , but ulixcan summon alot of significant models, so that alone wouldn't  ake me take him. the soulstone gathering is situational, i guess. the marker dropping is mostly interesting if you are planning to summon more warpigs than a turn 1 summon. basically you take him for the plus flips. a plus flipon a 4 wp pig or a 4 df sow is not great,frankly. it is great with a lot of models  but is also very static and yet another aura in the ulix ball. so i would not dismiss penelope, especially if you want fast walking pigs.

in more general: old cranky hasto utilize the auras, otherwise he might not be worth it. plus you have to question yourself whether he is worth spending ap/upgrades to be dragged around.