Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Franchute

Moving to Indy towards the end of this month,  so setting my painting bar low.

Realistically, hoping to put finishing touches on my Tanuki x2 and Krampus. If I find unexpected time, finish work on Johana, then setting sights on Marcus, the Jackalope, and the Hodgepodge Effigy. Realistically, 21ss. Pie in the sky, 49ss.

And if the most Daper of Lycanthropes, Ferdinand Vogel, actually hits shelves, I'll hope to paint him in a flurry of excitement.

large.20180304_174127.jpg.70ea875f131ced0b75b65864694609cf.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the tips @Scatterbrain and @misterfinn. So far I've dreaded using NMM and high contrast highlights, but I guess it's time to give them a try.

I didn't have anything fancy planned, just trying to make it match the box art with the same techniques I've used for my dawn serpent and ice gamins. Now, though, you've inspired me to try and make it a bit more... wyrd.

• Like 2

Devilish Thread ! But since i don't find the motivation to finish MSU box and Oxfordians mage since one month i listen to my friend Bedjy and post here !

So my objectives :

Finish (half / 2/3 finished):
Ramos
Brass Arachnid
Joss
Howard
3 Arachnid swarm
3 oxfordian mage
1x slate ridge maller

Because they are half 2/3 painted i count 1/3 SS ^^

Start and finish:
The captain
Iron side
Mechanical rider
Cerberus & Jukelhaups (2 last pieces i need for finish marcus box)

• Like 3

Quick WIP pic of Baby Cade.  Basically I need to finish the skin and haven't started the hair yet. He's small so it shouldn't take long to finish.

Also, these crazy Arcanist models have invaded my Neverborn painting party and are demanding paint. We'll see what happens. (I'm excited to try their flames and try OSL) so they're distracting me.

IMG_20180305_122630274.jpg

IMG_20180305_122650329.jpg

• Like 4

@H4ml3t Tell us how it goes with Carlos. I have not glued the left arm yet because I'm afraid I wont have an easy access to the rest of the body while painting it. I'm interested in knowing if it will be difficult for you. If not, I might glue everything together because I dont know how to hold the mini.

This month my pledge is the Blessed of December and the Scales of Justice for 12 SS. I started the Scales a while back and only put down about a basecoat or two, so hopefully Ill get him finished and then that will be Lady J's crew box complete! 

I'm also going to be finishing up with my Ice Dancers from last month. 

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

@H4ml3t Tell us how it goes with Carlos. I have not glued the left arm yet because I'm afraid I wont have an easy access to the rest of the body while painting it. I'm interested in knowing if it will be difficult for you. If not, I might glue everything together because I dont know how to hold the mini.

@Franchute Not sure how far you have gone with assembly so this may or may not be helpful but when I did Carlos in last year's challenge I had a similar problem...eventually what I did was attach the left arm with only the first part of the flame so that I could paint the body - I drilled into one foot and attached a piece of wire that I stuck in a cork to avoid handling the painted model....after the body was painted I attached the rest of the flame then masked off the entire body so that I could use an airbrush to do the start of the flamework

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute Not sure how far you have gone with assembly so this may or may not be helpful but when I did Carlos in last year's challenge I had a similar problem...eventually what I did was attach the left arm with only the first part of the flame so that I could paint the body - I drilled into one foot and attached a piece of wire that I stuck in a cork to avoid handling the painted model....after the body was painted I attached the rest of the flame then masked off the entire body so that I could use an airbrush to do the start of the flamework

The only thing I have not glued is the left arm to the left shoulder. All the rest has been glued together.

@Burnin' Coal thanks for the tip. I sort of remember your work. I'll try to find your posts from last year.

10 minutes ago, Franchute said:

The only thing I have not glued is the left arm to the left shoulder. All the rest has been glued together.

@Franchute Apologies - I didn't read your comment properly...however I spent some time debating how to do it and leaving the left arm off completely was my other option and would definitely achieve the same result....the fit of the arm is very good so painting the flame all in one go would definitely work as you will have to do very little if any filling or retouching on the shoulder at all

A seperate issue with this model that you may come across in time - even though the sculpt is excellent and even though the body of the figure weighs next to nothing it is still nonetheless all supported by the thin plastic rod that represents the torch base of the flame...even though my model has been carefully stored that plastic rod/torch base has become stressed and the figure has started to droop inside the flame...it is a VERY delicate point of contact...in the next month or so I will be carefully cutting the flame free and will drill out the hand to replace the thin plastic rod with stiff wire

• Thanks 1

@H4ml3t Nice work on Baby Kade - the base looks great and really adds an extra dimension to the model

For myself  I'm underway...all Neverborn and winged...this month's pledge being 2x Black Blood Shamans and Titania...Barbaros I'll finish next month but I want to paint his wings at the same time as the others

large.IMG_0616.JPG.9988a50e7afa2392bef64fe8b4498c2e.JPG

WIP to come mid month....or the 28th of March as we call it around here😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H4ml3t said:

Alt Firestarter

Ahhhh that's why I didn't recognise her. In other news, great work with Baby Cade, @H4ml3t! My girlfriend saw it and was thoroughly creeped-out. "Why is that baby playing in goop?" was the direct quote, with a face a little like this: :huh:The home-made dolls definitely helped add to the creepy atmosphere!  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Le Mulot said:

@Franchute I post on this topic the March 1st. Do I have to sign in somewhere else ?

Here it is:

Welcome to the challenge! Just let me know which category you would like to enroll for. You will come in with already two mulligans though since you start in March.

Also: please announce your how many soulstones you've painted during the month each time you post a picture of a finished model. I guess you are at 8ss for the two gamins so far, arent you?