Monthly painting challenge - February

Franchute

30 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@wobbly_goggy nice work on the Soulstone Miners - the base work really adds to them

Thanks very much! It's that corkboard stuff (+ gravel) which everyone seems to use and I was eager to try out. It's basic, but works nicely. If anyone is reading this but hasn't tried it,  - do so! It's super cheap and easy to use!

• Like 2

Greetings, fellow painters,

Well, the Steam Trunk is built (mostly). No small effort there. 36 pieces, Wyrd? Really?

I'm working out a paint scheme for my Freikorps, hence the Librarian in the background. On a pumpkin. Inexplicably. Aah, eBay, you never disappoint.

More to come, but this has been a busy month. Stupid-being-an-adult.

Caedrus.

Steam Trunk Update.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

This lil' dude wasn't pledged, but I felt the urge to start painting him anyway! Presenting a WIP of Baby Kade (metal version). I'm pretty creeped out by him, but I don't know what colour to make the teddy now; any ideas?

Guess grey and blue colours will work fine, but choice must be influenced by the colour you are planning to use for model bases too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

This lil' dude wasn't pledged, but I felt the urge to start painting him anyway! Presenting a WIP of Baby Kade (metal version). I'm pretty creeped out by him, but I don't know what colour to make the teddy now; any ideas?

That baby looks excellent and creepy. Nice work. I'll leave the color theory to others.

36 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Joachim lovely brush work...really like the pearlescent effect you have achieved on the Seishin and the glow on the eyes is excellent

Thanks, I was trying out some stuff, and actually painted the belly in leather brown. Then I applied several very very light drybrushes of a bright gold and it gave a cool effect.

The seishin are miniatures that allow you to do some different stuff, they have a cool feel to them.

For the eyes it is actually quite simple, i paint the eyes with white where I want the glow to be brightest, then apply nihilakh oxide, and i then come back with white where I want the glow to be the strongest.

I'm also really looking forward to painting the gaki. It doesn't show very well on the picture but I painted ikyrio with browns, redbrowns and orange and red tones with very dirty spots, stipples and smudges with quite a high contrast. I then applied several sepia washes, it creates a very cool and creepy effect, which will fit the gaki very well. I can use the same technique for the cloth to make them fit in with ikyrio.

• Like 1

As promised, here's some pictures taken with a proper camera. I'd say the quality is a bit better, or at least close to the real things colourwise. Also, it was pointed out to me by the owner of said camera that the backdrop I was using could be the cause of my issues, so I'll be experimenting with other ones in the future (and I'll be the first one to call myself an idiot for not realizing it sooner).

High_Monk_Edited.jpg

Mannequin_Edited.jpg

Trapper_Edited.jpg

• Like 7

Well, after some frustration, I finally got Rollins, Cherri, and Iggy done for the Wild Ones. 

I (believe) that should be 15ss for Rollins (mounted & dismounted together should make that, I guess?), 9ss for Cherri, and 4ss for Iggy Pup, which puts me at 28ss for the month. Feel free to totally correct my terrible math though! 

large.IMG_0012.jpg.e228b733bf45d1a57d205

large.IMG_0015.jpg.7205601ab63ddd04b977e

large.IMG_0014.jpg.bd2e6f5e2dfb1586d32a7

large.IMG_0017.jpg.ea981a7b07d059481e940

large.IMG_0021.jpg.8821de0d150076eb3ac2b

• Like 6